Best Portable Headphones $150-$300?
Oct 31, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #17 of 40
The TMA-1 certainly looks intriguing and has received some good reviews, but I think everyone seems a bit burned because everything AiAiAi has made previously has been less than stellar apparently.

I have the B&W P5's, and even though I haven't heard the HD25 I would probably suggest it over the P5's based on reviews. The P5's are certainly nice to listen to (I got them for free) with a smooth, mid heavy, yet detailed sound, and they have a wonderful luxury feel to them - but the price tag is a bit high. They also don't sound bright at all.  The New Zealand leather feels and smells fantastic (hehe) but the whole package is quite literally a bit rich. I'd say $200 dollars was a fair price for them.

If you do need something with an iPhone cable/music/voice control though, they are fantastic!

Oct 31, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #19 of 40
I didn't like any of the T50p, P5 and HD25, but the HD25 did the least things wrong. They are not very big; they are supra aural which means the cups don't surround your ears, making them hurt after a while.

Oct 31, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #20 of 40

Yea I agree, it is kinda odd that AiAiAi suddenly starts making high-end portable headphones compared to the rest of their product line. But most people agree that the sound quality of the TMA-1 is on par with HD 25 or even surpasses it.

Quote:
The TMA-1 certainly looks intriguing and has received some good reviews, but I think everyone seems a bit burned because everything AiAiAi has made previously has been less than stellar apparently.

I have the B&W P5's, and even though I haven't heard the HD25 I would probably suggest it over the P5's based on reviews. The P5's are certainly nice to listen to (I got them for free) with a smooth, mid heavy, yet detailed sound, and they have a wonderful luxury feel to them - but the price tag is a bit high. They also don't sound bright at all.  The New Zealand leather feels and smells fantastic (hehe) but the whole package is quite literally a bit rich. I'd say $200 dollars was a fair price for them.

If you do need something with an iPhone cable/music/voice control though, they are fantastic!

Nov 1, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #22 of 40
I still wouldn't pass the T50P (personal preference of course, when I try to thin my headphone herd I can't seem to put the T50P on the chopping block) but I do admit the aiaiai do sound interesting.

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #26 of 40
I don't know about es55, but I will vote for esw9 also.   I love the sound and a great looking phone only surpass by esw10jpn.  Never heard the HD25-1, but for portable gear, I just need to factor style into the equation... vain.. but, if you can cover both bases with 1 phone, why not?

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #28 of 40
I tried the P5's today and I have to agree they don't sound $300. They do sound good but i think they sound their best with jazz and classical music. Not that great for pop and r&b. The design is superb, the sound not enough for me. Too laid back and warm for my taste. I wonder how they compare in sound with the also great design, Beyedynamic T50p and the Senn HD25-1.

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #29 of 40
First thing you should do with your $300, when you say you care about sound quality, is to get away from the iPod Touch. Regardless of which gen, they all sound terrible. This is a case in which you will see negative returns on investments into high end headphones. The more money you spend, the crappier the sound is going to get. ipod touch is designed with using bass heavy icraps like skullcandy and beats, using any other kind will yield catastrophic results. 

Anyway, X2 on the ESW9. Though you should be careful with the fit and headband durability. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back