Best Portable Headphones $150-$300?
Oct 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

jahson

New Head-Fier
Hello. I'm in the process of choosing portable-mid-size,on ear headphones for my new ipod touch. When it comes to music i don't like to sacrifice sound quality for anything. Even though my budget is limited, i'm willing to pay around $300 for a good pair headphones. I like natural but accurate and bright sound (dont like heavy bass nor annoying treble). I was looking into the B&W P5's, Denon Ahd-1001, Grado 80is to name a few but i haven't try them yet because in can't find them in Puerto Rico  My music preferences are Folk, Soft Rock, Latin and R&B (Alicia Keys, Boyz II Men, Brian Mcknight). Can someone please help me decide. Thanks

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 40
Audiofil, forgive my ignorance but aren't the HD 25, professional studio headphones. I'm lookin for something more portable like the P5s by B&W. By the way what do you think of them, i read they sound muffle not too bright.

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #6 of 40
http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/

Headfonia has good info on what you might be looking for.  I would say ATH-ESW9, Sennheiser HD25 or Phiaton MS400.  Those are my top choices and all within your budget.  Just don't walk into an apple store and get bose, beats or skullcandy.  Bose just sound too plasticy and cheap for the price.  Beats are fun little headphones but have significant mid-bass boost, recessed highs, veiled mids and just not worth the price they are asking for (if it was $100 i would consider it).  Skullcandy is just really not very musical...they sound very plain with no refinement, harsh treble, recessed mids and punchy bass with no extension.

All depends on what you are looking for, but if you are looking for sparkly treble get the grado.  If you want warm lush sounds, get esw-9.  If you want very forward presentation and vibrant mids, get the HD25.  If you want fun punchy bass, get the phiaton.  You can't go wrong with any of them.

B&W P5 sound good, but just extremely overpriced.  Denon ahd-1001 are nice headphones, but wouldn't really consider them portable.

Oct 30, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 40
Never heard the T50P so I can't speak on that behalf, but the B&W P5 aren't worth their price.  They sound very good, but just not $300 good. I would probably go with Sennheiser HD25

Oct 31, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 40

Quote:
Never heard the T50P so I can't speak on that behalf, but the B&W P5 aren't worth their price.  They sound very good, but just not $300 good. I would probably go with Sennheiser HD25

absolutely...P5 definitely not worth their price.

x2 HD25
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #10 of 40
The T50p are an intriguing can and might be up your alley. They have a great design and come with a nice case, and have a unique sound signature that's hard to pin down in just a few sentences. Of all the headphones mentioned so far, I've owned/heard all of them except the P5. The most articulate would be the HD25 or T50p (with ESW9 trailing close third), with the T50p being on the friendlier side and the HD25 being more aggressive. The Senns might have a bit too much bass for your liking; the T50p is a bit more upper-mid focused.

Oct 31, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #11 of 40
Thanks guys. I'm 95% incline to buy the Senn's HD25-1. My only concern is that looking at some pictures they look kind of bulky for portable use. I try to imagine myself using them outside my home and for some reason come to the conclusion i will look ridiculous using these on the office, on the street, etc. I don't know, maybe it just me trying to look good while listening music when all that matters is sound quality and comfort.

Oct 31, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #12 of 40
I suggest the creative aurvana live!
Good price,(if it matters) good looks and joker rated them very high.
Lets see what other's thinks about them, because i also want to buy them
cool.gif

Oct 31, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 40

Quote:
I suggest the creative aurvana live!
Good price,(if it matters) good looks and joker rated them very high.
Lets see what other's thinks about them, because i also want to buy them
cool.gif

but If he´s (jahson) thinking that HD25 are bulky than bigger, over-ears seems to be NO-GO! At least, until he didn´t decide to forget this appearance non-sense, and didn´t focus completety on SQ  (well, it´s not so easy I know, it took some time)

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #14 of 40

Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm 95% incline to buy the Senn's HD25-1. My only concern is that looking at some pictures they look kind of bulky for portable use. I try to imagine myself using them outside my home and for some reason come to the conclusion i will look ridiculous using these on the office, on the street, etc. I don't know, maybe it just me trying to look good while listening music when all that matters is sound quality and comfort.

If that is the case, the T50P would be your ideal choice.

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #15 of 40
i just got the re-zero's for about 105.00 with shipping.  i have to say they are stylish, they sound amazing and are very clear.  bass isnt much, but its enough and the mids/highs clarity and details they provide is far worth it.  i listen to music videos and stuff on youtube that was recorded in HD and i can hear the studio people talking when it fades out of the video, that's how much details these things have, it's amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back