Best portable headphone that sounds great without an amp for around $300?
Mar 25, 2011 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Mason Fresh

New Head-Fier
Too much research is making this decision really hard. I just want my songs to sound good on a really good pair of headphones without having to mess with amps and other chords and things. I also want it to cancel noise well and not leak sound...

Can you guys just throw some good options? 

Thanks so much!

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #9 of 30
I really have no idea what I'm getting myself into... 

I like hip-hop. I like rock. I like piano. Some decent head phones that someone who has listened to ipod headphones for his whole life will appreciate... 

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 30
My vote is for the Pro 750 as well. But you should at least do a little more research, particularly on the headphones' sound signatures and which on suits you the best, not just which one "sounds the best" in general. I've seen people prefer $150 cans to various $400 cans, just because the sound of the expensive ones were simply not to their liking.

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:
I've seen people prefer $150 cans to various $400 cans, just because the sound of the expensive ones were simply not to their liking.

Quote:
What about Sennheiser Hd 25 1-II, they isolate well an sound good too.

And here we go! I don't like the HD 25-1 II at all! It's too warm, , highs cut off, bass too boomy and soundstage too cramped. All together freaks me out, at the very least gives me the chills, lol!
I prefer Ultrasone's cheapest model, the HFI-15G over that sound. (Same with AKG K518.)

I do know I am the only one who thinks that way.
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 30
Use the search function in these forums, as there are tons of threads that talk about both the Grado SR325 & the Ultrasone PRO 750.

In my opinion, don't even bother with a $20 amp.  The two headphones you mentioned will sound great out of an iPod, as do many others that are known to need good amplification (e.g., my AKG K 702 sounded good out of my iPod touch--not great, but good).

If you don't want your headphones to leak sound, consider the Ultrasone (since it's closed).  Other less expensive models, such as Ultrasone's HFI-580 (great for hip-hop and rock) are also highly recommended, as is the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (decent all-rounder).

If you decide you want a Grado, you might want to check out the SR225 instead, since it's more-often praised than the SR325, and is seen as one of Grado's best bang-for-the-buck models, along with the SR60.

Don't feel like you HAVE to spend $300.  There are many headphones that cost way more than that which are not even liked very much (see ATH-W5000, for example), and there are headphones that cost much less than $300 that you will find very enjoyable.  The key thing to do is to just search around the forums and read up on others' impressions, and the key things to note are that everybody's ears are different (what one hears and finds enjoyable, you might not) and that manufacturing variances can cause identical models to sound different.  Basically, you're not going to feel confident that you're getting the best headphone for your needs and wants with just a day of research, so spend some time here and take it slow; enjoy the journey while you're at it, because it really is half the fun.

Good luck!

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #15 of 30
Great replies. Thanks so much for the help guys.. .I am doing more research.. and I've heard some pretty good things about the DT 880... lots of people have these it seems but they aren't their "portable" cans in their signature... can they be portable? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back