Best portable amp for AKG701
Mar 20, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #16 of 32
I tried to use my MOVE (which is pretty darn close to headsix) to power K701s and I wasn't impressed with its results. I bought BADA PH-12 to mate them and I saw worlds of difference in bass quality, detail, soundstage and midrange.
Considering that headsix is around 150$, DIY millet hybrid (that can also be had for around 150-200) outperforms headsix by quite a margin as well.

I'm not suggesting that portable amps are waste of money - they're certainly better than unamped. I have never heard the lisa or pico yet, but I doubt they come even close to performance of entry level tube/hybrid amps that BADA PH-12, Woo Audio WA6, MH, Darkvoice can give.

On another note, I heard that K701s are absolutely amazing with Zana Deux - which I'm dying to try.

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to thank everyone for their advice. The main reason I am leaning towards a smaller amp is for the portability as I will rarely be using these in my house due to the lack of time (three kids a wife who seem to want my attention!). I realize from many the advantage of the Lisa III, especially in the bass, but it just seems to big to lug around on trips etc. I think I ahve it narrowed down to RSA predator, but I am intrigued by the iQube, $450 on special now. Anyone have any experience with that and the 701s?

Lee

Would most of your time listening be a work? If so, can you leave something there without it walking off?

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #18 of 32
OK, I realize that a nice tubed amp would be great, and eventually that is something I will get. I got ont he phone and spoke to Ray Samuel himself and we discussed my options and limitations and whether I should get the predator. He stated it depends as much on the type of music I would be listening to. If there was a lot of headbanger stuff at loud volumes, the predator would not cut it, but if mostly, jazz, acoustical, classical and the lie, the predator would be OK. I ended up buying one and if it does not work he will take it back and go from there. I do alot of traveling and wanted something I could take with me on the plane, in the hotel etc. So in answer to penchum, it just means that half the time the amp will be along with me elsewhere. From all my reading it seems I can't go much wrong with the predator, but I will update this thread o start a new one once it breaks in. This seems like a wonderful and passionate community and I feel lucky to be joining it.

Thanks
Lee

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #19 of 32
That's it man!

Why dont you start a search for some decent portable HP instead?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not get a portable amp - K701s are extremely fussy about amplification and Home amps really bring out their potential. Plus, they're rather large for outdoor use - not to mention they're open, leaking lots of sound outside.

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I realize that a nice tubed amp would be great, and eventually that is something I will get. I got ont he phone and spoke to Ray Samuel himself and we discussed my options and limitations and whether I should get the predator. He stated it depends as much on the type of music I would be listening to. If there was a lot of headbanger stuff at loud volumes, the predator would not cut it, but if mostly, jazz, acoustical, classical and the lie, the predator would be OK. I ended up buying one and if it does not work he will take it back and go from there. I do alot of traveling and wanted something I could take with me on the plane, in the hotel etc. So in answer to penchum, it just means that half the time the amp will be along with me elsewhere. From all my reading it seems I can't go much wrong with the predator, but I will update this thread o start a new one once it breaks in. This seems like a wonderful and passionate community and I feel lucky to be joining it.

Thanks
Lee

Ok, yepper, that would make a big difference. It is nice he is giving you some options too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #21 of 32
Other portable headphones would be nice. I hear the UE 5 are nice, but I had the UE 4vi for my iphone and that was an extremely flimsy set of IEMs. Any suggestions?

Mar 24, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #23 of 32
I am expecting my predator today. Once I get a chance Iw ill post some thoughts. I do have some decent ultraportables lie the etys, but the sound of the 701 is so nice, at least I want to make sure I can take those around when i travel.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #24 of 32
I am now listening to my 701 through the predator and they sound awesome, even with high gain. I realize they both need to break in more and I bet the sound would only get better. However, I do seem to hear that this combo really floes with better recorded music. I will report back after a little break-in.

Lee

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #26 of 32
Basic black. Classic but elegant! I was surprised how small this sucker is. Listening to the Who and Vampire Weekend just to push it at first. Not bad, but more break in needed. Ray sent it out on Friday, what a guy.

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #27 of 32
LeeMark, I'm interested to see how your Predator and K701 combo is working out. Headroom claims that the K701s take 300 hours to burn in. Many have stated that the predator with it's large cap and low current can take 600+ hours to settle down. How many hours are you at with your setup?

Apr 15, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #28 of 32
I have been listening to the 701 and predator for around 2 weeks. Still breaking in of course, but it really works nicely together. I do hear a little harshness when loud music comes on, but for almost anything else, all classical, jazz, acoustic etc. the soundstage, clarity, bass, are amazing, and there is a roundness to the sound that I have not heard before. Can I say this is as good as a desktop amp, tubes etc. no, but for what it is, the predator does great with the cans. And I just want to make one more comment. If this amp allows me or anyone to use there phones more and hear more music and hear it well, it is worth every penny.
Lee

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #29 of 32
Lee thanks for the remarks. I have a predator, which I listen to with several headphones. One pair I use frequently are the BeyerDynamic DT770-80s. These are known as moderately harder to push than some cans and the predator pulls it off. But barely. If I turn the level to a nice loud mark that I would listen to for extended periods, the predator is fine. But if I crank the volume to the point where it is quite loud (not damaging loud, but rock out loud) I can tell the predator is just beginning to clip due to it's low voltage. This isn't a problem with easier to push phones of course.

So I guess I was feeling out the idea of purchasing some K701s for use with the pred. I'm thinking I might be asking too much of this poor little amp. And truth be told I bought the predator with intentions to use it with IEMs only, so the fact I'm now using it with DT770s is really quite surprising and pleasing. If the predator can't drive the K701s to my satisfaction, I suppose I'll just invest in an amp with more voltage.

So this harshness you speak of, do you think the amp is beginning to clip a bit? or is this long before it clips, and you feel the amp is just under the strain of insensitive K701s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back