best phones for instrumental w/ vocal
Dec 5, 2012 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

TubaHeavy

New Head-Fier
Yes, another "help i don't know what to buy!" thread.

I have a budget of about ~200 bucks, and prefer phones that don't need an amp. I mostly listen to ska punk, classical, and Jazz with vocals. I'm looking for a good pair of phones that have a good balance between the vocals and instruments. I was looking at the AKG 272's because i heard amazing things about them and like the looks, but I've heard they need an amp to get the most out of them. I'm just now getting into having good sound equipment (being a music major i feel it's necessary) and have NO idea where to start. Any help would be appreciated! 

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 15
Well here are a few suggestions for you. I actually don't really like AKG headphones that much since they tend to be kind of cold and unforgiving headphones. You're right, they do need an amp to realize their full potential, so you might not want it.

Sennheiser HD598
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
Audio Technica ATH-A700x (or 900x)
Denon D1100
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (32 ohm version)

All of these don't need an amp to really sound good. However I think with maybe the Denons, they might sound a little better with one. If you look hard enough, you can find all of these for around $200. Hope this helps.

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 15
I'd check out Sennheiser HD598's and beyerdynamic DT880's. Go 250ohm and you can skate by without an amp, but for another 60 or so a Fiio e11 will be plenty. Also, I played tuba throughout school.

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 15
another vote for the 598s.

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
how badly do the 598's leak sound?

It's absolutely horrid, but that should be expected with open-back designs (they're all like that). If you don't have a lot of background noise (or background people who might complain) however, it doesn't matter that much. On a funny note, I have my 598s hanging on a cabinet door right next to my computer and sometimes if I'm too lazy to unplug them and make the sound come out of my speakers, I will just crank up my amp and listen to my video or whatever through the headphones.... that are sitting on the door. Yeah I don't even have to put them on to hear them lol. It's quite hysterical actually. And it sounds rather good when I do that too.

If you care about leakage, get a closed-back design.

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 15
So i'm guessing i wouldn't be able to use these headphones on my flights back to college? hah well for the most part these headphones that i am looking for are for mobile use (walking to class, car rides ect..) AND for using in my dorm. Also, i don't blast my music. Will it still be bad at a low volume?

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
So i'm guessing i wouldn't be able to use these headphones on my flights back to college? hah well for the most part these headphones that i am looking for are for mobile use (walking to class, car rides ect..) AND for using in my dorm. Also, i don't blast my music. Will it still be bad at a low volume?

Even at low volumes, it's pretty noticeable. Since you're going to be traveling a lot, the Custom One Pros might be a good option for you. The 598s are definitely not mobile (grudge) since Sennheiser includes a 1/4 inch terminated cable, so you would have to use the included 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapter which is so huge it effectively turns it into an audio pencil. The COPs are extremely low impedance, so a phone for iPod would suffice. They're stylish, great sounding, and very portable. You might want to check those out. However I don't know how they would do on an airplane since the last time I've been on a jet was around the age of 5 (yeah I don't travel much). I would assume if you just keep it down, nobody would mind.

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 15
You wont want to worry about that. If you can find some Earsonics SM3 v2 used in your price range that would be my first choice. The sound amazing with vocal, folk, and acoustic and are no slouch as an all genre IEM as well.

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
Custom One Pros might be a good option for you. 

I'm leaning towards these also because they're generally the same price everywhere and they look good too. Is the leakage as bad as the 598's?

Quote:
You wont want to worry about that. If you can find some Earsonics SM3 v2 used in your price range that would be my first choice. The sound amazing with vocal, folk, and acoustic and are no slouch as an all genre IEM as well.

every in-ear i've tried has NEVER stayed in my ears (i don't know why but i've tried over 10 pairs of different ones and they always fall out within 5 minutes.) 

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

I'm leaning towards these also because they're generally the same price everywhere and they look good too. Is the leakage as bad as the 598's?

That's like asking if the moon is as bright as the sun haha. No, anything is better than the 598's (or any open back) in terms of leakage. The COPs are closed back (well sort of). They have adjustable ports on the bottom of the cans which allow you to change the response of the bass, so depending on whether you have them open or closed, the leakage will change. However I don't think at all that they would cause any disturbance to other people. They really aren't that bad.

And are you thinking of ear buds, or in ears? Because there's a difference. I don't know how IEMs could really fall out of your ear that easily.

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

every in-ear i've tried has NEVER stayed in my ears (i don't know why but i've tried over 10 pairs of different ones and they always fall out within 5 minutes.) 

Every non-custom IEM I have owned I've had to use the Shure triflange tips with the stem cut to be flush with the largest flange. It was the only way I could get a proper seal and still have normal free facial movement. Everyone's ears are different but if they are falling out you are not getting a proper seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back