Best PC Gaming headphones or headset for under $100?
Jul 22, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #17 of 19

[size=medium]
[size=medium]

Quote:
don't mean to be rude, but have you tried dolby headphone? many people on here use something like an astro mixamp with some decent stereo headphones and claim some outstanding results. then again, i have not heard such a setup myself yet so i can't exactly say if it's that good or not.

I know I'm not the one you asked, but I've had some discussion with him before over that sort of thing in another thread.

[size=medium]
Quote:
CMSS3D can be of use for people who want a somewhat wider sound, but I was never particularly a fan of surround emulation solutions, at least current ones, be it CMSS3D, DH or anything that seems to be around.

[/size]

I guess some people just don't like current HRTF implementations. It could be that their own natural HRTF falls too far outside the generic/average HRTF Creative and Dolby use, and thus the surround sound effect falls apart. (In this case, Creative should've left in some adjustments like Sensaura did with Virtual Ear before Creative bought them out and presumably used the Virtual Ear HRTF tech as a basis for CMSS-3D Headphone.)

It could also be that they don't like how it colors the sound. (I certainly don't like applying Dolby Headphone to stereo music sources in foobar2000, and since I always play music in Audio Creation Mode bit-matched, I haven't bothered to test CMSS-3D Headphone there.)

Long story short, your mileage may vary. It works for most, but some people don't like it. That's why it's optional, after all. (I personally wouldn't do without it, but that's because the virtual surround effect works for me.)

[/size]

[/size]

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #18 of 19
http://cgi.ebay.com/Turtle-Beach-Ear-Force-X41-RF-Dolby-7-1-TBS2170-/350479193819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519a3016db#ht_1478wt_1059

Wireless, works with pc. If you don't like the dolby headphone, than you can just sell the receiver part, and purchase the hard cable to connect the headphones directly to your pcs sound card. If you like dobly headphone, I still recommend the pc cable so you can hard wire the headphones to the receiver to eliminate the background noise from the RF stuff, and plug straight into your mic jack. Also, you can use this with anything with an optical out, and if you ever buy a dac with optical in, you can use this to enable the dolby headphone DSP, and then output it to a nicer dac to get better sound. I've never used these for music, and I haven't heard them wired up, so I can't say anything about the sound yet, but I will be able to next week, so if you hold off on your purchase until next week, I'll PM you impressions on the sound of the cans themselves?

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #19 of 19
I second the JVC HARX700.  I use mine with a Turtle Beach DSS... great directional performance.  Other more experienced, I am a total noob at this, head-fi'ers might disagree with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back