Best PC Gaming headphones or headset for under $100?
Jun 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

moogleslam

New Head-Fier

I'm looking for a new set of headphones or a headset for my PC with onboard sound (ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Motherboard with a Realtek ALC889 audio controller) .  I do a lot of gaming.  Mostly racing games (Dirt, F1), FPS (CoD series, Crysis etc), but I'm sure my life will be consumed with Diablo 3 when it comes out.  I do not play online, so a microphone is not essential for talking to other gamers.  If it has one, that's ok though.  I will also be using them for watching movies, but the gaming definitely comes first.

I want them to be closed and wired, and I'd like them to simulate surround sound so I can tell where cars are trying to overtake me, or where shots are coming from etc.  Besides that, I'm open to suggestions, but would like to keep the price under $100.

I've done a bit of research already, and so far, I'm thinking about the Logitech G35.  What are your thoughts on this?  Are their better options in this price range?

Thanks

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 19
actually now that i think about it, it probably won't be the best suggestion as you don't have a soundcard with dolby headphone or cmss3d. a lot of gamer headsets have the soundcard with the headset so you can simulate surround sound that way. if i'm wrong someone correct me lol.

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
actually now that i think about it, it probably won't be the best suggestion as you don't have a soundcard with dolby headphone or cmss3d. a lot of gamer headsets have the soundcard with the headset so you can simulate surround sound that way. if i'm wrong someone correct me lol.

Virtual surround is laughable at best, IMHO. I run my X-Fi with all those enhancements turned off, and only play with EQ. Good headphones have wide soundstage by themselves, not by some software gimmicks.

AD700 is regarded as one of the best headphones for gaming, less for "fun" things such as movies, due to the lack of bass compared to other headphones.

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 19

Quote:

That audio chipset page states:

The ALC889 supports host audio from the Intel chipsets, and also from any other HDA compatible audio controller. With various software utilities like environment sound emulation, multiple-band and independent software equalizer, dynamic range compressor and expander, optional Dolby® Digital Live, Dolby® PCEE program and DTS® CONNECT™, the ALC889 provides the highest sound quality, providing an excellent entertainment package and game experience for PC users. 

More here:  http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=173

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:

That audio chipset page states:

The ALC889 supports host audio from the Intel chipsets, and also from any other HDA compatible audio controller. With various software utilities like environment sound emulation, multiple-band and independent software equalizer, dynamic range compressor and expander, optional Dolby® Digital Live, Dolby® PCEE program and DTS® CONNECT™, the ALC889 provides the highest sound quality, providing an excellent entertainment package and game experience for PC users. 

More here:  http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=173

Think on getting a soundcard, as it's miles ahead of crummy onboard audio chips, specially if you plan on gaming.

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 19
Most motherboard reviews state there's little difference between onboard sound and soundcards these days.  Either way though, I don't really want that additional expense.  Can't dolby headphones simulate surround with that sound chip?  I don't think the AD700's will work as I have to have a closed headphone.

What about the Audio Technica ATH-M50 or even ATH-M30?  Any one have opinions on those for gaming?

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #9 of 19
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone
Most of the headphones in there are over 100, but you might get your question answered quicker if you post in there.

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #10 of 19
Closed and cheap with decent sound(especially modded) JVC HARX-700 for $38.

Oh and the Asus xonar sound card is only $30. It has a dedicated headphone amp and dolby headphone although I would advise you to just stick with stereo only.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 19
Try the KRK KNS-6400. When a closed headphone is required, it's possibly one of the best under $100 for gaming. Especially for competitive gaming.
It's drivers are angled and has one of the best soundstages I've heard for a closed headphone in a very long time.

They're also light and comfortable and can eventually be upgraded to memory foam pads. They run about $100. Best sounding unamped headphone I've heard yet under $100.

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
Logitech G35 Surround Sound Headset is the best choice,last week,i saw it costs $75,good price,i never seen it before.

Are you crazy? It's a sorry excuse for a headset. Headphones costing 3 times less perform at least as good as that.

And OP, of course motherboard manufacturers will claim there is little difference between their onboard audio chips and real soundcards, it's in their best interest.

Refer to this guide, as it has both open and closed headphones that do perform properly in games.

And do think on including a soundcard on your system, because gaming audio performance is severely hindered by running through an onboard audio chip.

Jun 16, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Virtual surround is laughable at best, IMHO. I run my X-Fi with all those enhancements turned off, and only play with EQ. Good headphones have wide soundstage by themselves, not by some software gimmicks.

AD700 is regarded as one of the best headphones for gaming, less for "fun" things such as movies, due to the lack of bass compared to other headphones.

don't mean to be rude, but have you tried dolby headphone? many people on here use something like an astro mixamp with some decent stereo headphones and claim some outstanding results. then again, i have not heard such a setup myself yet so i can't exactly say if it's that good or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back