Best Path from iMac to K701
Jun 2, 2012 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Quinten

New Head-Fier
Currently, I have a USB DAC/headphone amp powering my AKG K701s, but I'm looking to replace my DAC. My current DAC has been damaged so it needs to be replaced, but since I'm replacing the device I'm considering some of the things I'd like to see (and don't want to see) in my next DAC purchase.

I hate it when devices have bright LEDs that shine in one's face; my current DAC-amp probably has about the brightest LEDs I've ever seen on the front of a small appliance, and I don't need a blue night-light.

I'd like my next headphone amp to have a power button; amazingly, my current amp does not have one. My current amp also has a huge power brick, it would be nice to find one which doesn't require one (but this isn't really a priority, but something I'm throwing out there).

So does anyone have any suggestions for powering my K701s? My main audio source will be my iMac, but having the ability to hook up other devices could be useable... I'm really quite open to suggestions at this point.

Jun 3, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Currently, I have a USB DAC/headphone amp powering my AKG K701s, but I'm looking to replace my DAC. My current DAC has been damaged so it needs to be replaced, but since I'm replacing the device I'm considering some of the things I'd like to see (and don't want to see) in my next DAC purchase.

I hate it when devices have bright LEDs that shine in one's face; my current DAC-amp probably has about the brightest LEDs I've ever seen on the front of a small appliance, and I don't need a blue night-light.

I'd like my next headphone amp to have a power button; amazingly, my current amp does not have one. My current amp also has a huge power brick, it would be nice to find one which doesn't require one (but this isn't really a priority, but something I'm throwing out there).

So does anyone have any suggestions for powering my K701s? My main audio source will be my iMac, but having the ability to hook up other devices could be useable... I'm really quite open to suggestions at this point.

This isn't completely the right section to post this but it is alright as it is somewhat relevant,

What do you have right now?
How do you know the DAC is damaged? Is the actual DAC portion damaged or the entire device?

What is your budget?
Do you need JUST a portable amp and DAC or a portable amp and DAC(that can also dual purpose as desktop)?

Do you care if it's USB or Optical or any preference(iMac has optical out through 3.5mm jack.)

What genres do you listen to? Give some sample artists

Do you have any brands you are interested in?

What other headphones do you have?

Not really too important but what quality are your audio tracks?

Jun 3, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 4
Budget would be helpful as well....

I would have recommended the Schiit Bifrost but it fails the bright light test. My god, that LED shines like a flashlight at night... What's the purpose for this?!?!

Jun 3, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Budget would be helpful as well....

I would have recommended the Schiit Bifrost but it fails the bright light test. My god, that LED shines like a flashlight at night... What's the purpose for this?!?!

I did include Budget in my list.

I also dislike the bright light. My next stuff I ordered have a no bright light check(the O2 that is)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back