Best Pad for RS-1
May 26, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Great! For those who picked bowls, could you also list some of the other gear you enjoy? It'll be nice to know what to avoid in the future
biggrin.gif

I absolutely love the L3000 - you might want to stay away from those
tongue.gif

I like flats but I can't live without the sparkling Grado high frequencies. Not only that but bloated bass reminds me of Bose.

May 26, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #21 of 36
(Hasn't this been asked before?)
Anyway, I can't stand the flats, I don't see how anyone could. It totally changes the way they sound. Too much flabby bass.
A friend of mine has the SR-225. Of course we compare my RS-1 to his 225. His 225s seem to have more bass and generally competed very well with the RS-1. Then we swapped the bowls. His bowls are very worn. Out goes the bass on the 225 but the RS-1 now has become muddy all over, but it has more bass.
What troubles me about this is, if you think about it, somewhere in there is the perfect happy medium. To me it lies closer with new bowls.

May 26, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
LOL! Back to the drawing board...

Actually, I've never heard the L3000, but that is my next high priced phone that I really want to try someday.

But next up is an amp upgrade when my wallet recovers from my GS-1000 purchase.

I hear a lot about reverse bowls and how good they sound - and when I tried it - it was terrible - so I know I'm sure I did something wrong.
I turned the bowls backwards and forced them on almost ripping them - is the wood supposed to be exposed. Anyone have a pic?

May 26, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedtoes
We knows that Grados are very sensitive to padds use... So which is the best you have heard for RS-1??

It depends a lot on the recording.

I can listen AC/DC's "Razor's Edge" remastered CD only with flats, otherwise the highs are disturbing. "Stiff Upper Lip" is much better with bowls.

You see, I'm in a full AC/DC period.
icon10.gif

May 26, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #24 of 36
I prefer taped bowls on my RS1's. If they're not taped, to my ear the lows seem a little lacking. Meanwhile, the flats give a nice bass "slam" but it sacrifices the highs and mids (everything from the mids on up gets squished together). I can only listen to the flats for a little while, then I end up wanting the strong mids and highs back.

Reversed bowls are fine too, but not as comfortable as regular bowls and flats. Since the foam on the bowl's reverse side is not as soft as its front, they're not as comfortable with my ears.

May 27, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #25 of 36
Bowls.

May 27, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Actually, I've never heard the L3000, but that is my next high priced phone that I really want to try someday.

But next up is an amp upgrade when my wallet recovers from my GS-1000 purchase.

I figured as much. Just a warning - since you love the K1000 and RS1 w/ bowls, and also prefer the HD600 over the HD650 (having owned all of these headphones myself) - those are three omens against your probability of liking the L3000. Still, you should definitely try them if you get a chance.

I like reversed bowls and vwap pads OK. Still like flats best on the RS1 and especially HP2. Hey, I think we can fully trust each others' opinions on gear if we reverse the conclusion
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
Flats: "gasp"; yes Todd's flats are the preferred way to go because the RS-1 has anemic bass at times. Besides this is how it was meant to be in the first place.

I love it when people speak in terms of universal absolutes when talking about their own personal preference.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back