Best Pad for RS-1
May 26, 2006 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

nakedtoes

500+ Head-Fier
We knows that Grados are very sensitive to padds use... So which is the best you have heard for RS-1??

May 26, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedtoes
We knows that Grados are very sensitive to padds use... So which is the best you have heard for RS-1??

I think that depends on the generation of the RS-1, and your own personal listening preferences. They were originally voiced with flat pads, but I suspect they were tweaked later on when the bowls were made.

May 26, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 36
MY pad baby, YEAH!
icon10.gif

May 26, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedtoes

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm just making sure here. Are the bowls the things used on the HF-1? Are they any different on the RS-1?

May 26, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm just making sure here. Are the bowls the things used on the HF-1? Are they any different on the RS-1?

Yes the bowls are the stock pads that come with the HF-1 and the RS-1. They're the same.

Grado has three types of pads - comfies (SR60), bowls (SR80/125/225/325i and RS-2/RS-1) and "bagels" (GS1000). The flats that everyone refers to are a discountinued pad that Grado used to ship with the RS-1 (and some of their older models as well I believe). They're still available, but only through Todd The Vinyl Junkie. Grado no longer uses them.

May 26, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 36
Hard bowls for me.
I was using soggy washed bowls and there was not enough treble fo rmy tastes, and vocals were too shouty sounding.

Garrett

May 26, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Hard bowls for me.
I was using soggy washed bowls and there was not enough treble fo rmy tastes, and vocals were too shouty sounding.

Garrett

Yeah, there's this "inbetween" bowls and flats that you get with squishy bowls after a while... it's not pleasant. I can really identify with the "shouty" nature there. Fortunately it seems to take a long time for bowls to get that squished.

May 26, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 36
What about those "C-pads" that headphile sells? Can they be used with the RS-1 while still getting great sound from them? I figure that using the RS-1 over time would be as annoying as using the HF-1 with the standard bowls.

May 26, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
What about those "C-pads" that headphile sells? Can they be used with the RS-1 while still getting great sound from them? I figure that using the RS-1 over time would be as annoying as using the HF-1 with the standard bowls.

If by "annoying" you're refering to comfort then no, the RS-1 isn't going to be any more agreeable to your ears in that sense than the HF-1. Grado fit just bugs some people. If you're one of them then it's best to look elsewhere IMO.

C-pads provide a different sound than bowls and are more comfortable, but they add an additional $100 expense. That's a lot of investment.

May 26, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
If by "annoying" you're refering to comfort then no, the RS-1 isn't going to be any more agreeable to your ears in that sense than the HF-1. Grado fit just bugs some people. If you're one of them then it's best to look elsewhere IMO.

C-pads provide a different sound than bowls and are more comfortable, but they add an additional $100 expense. That's a lot of investment.

Yea, sorry, I was referring to comfort of course. I'm still interested in trying RS-1. And I'd be willing to spend a bit more for comforts sake if they were really good with those C-Pads as well.

May 26, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #14 of 36
Stock bowels for me. I tried the pads and the only thing I enjoyed was the added bass. Everything else sounded a bit "off" to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back