Best over-ear (preferably open) headphones for classical/jazz music under $200
Jun 24, 2011 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

starbux48

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to wide variety of music including classical, jazz (instrumental & vocals), folk (acoustic), celtic, rock.  So maybe subject should say all?  Particularly the classical music with orchestras, quartets, etc; small jazz ensembles with artists like Diana Krall and Karrin Allyson, I would like soundstages wide and deep.  Ones where I can hear the bass player on the left, the sax player on the right, drums in rear, and singer in center-front.  Or with orchestras or quartets where I can pick out the instruments & their positions

With pop/rock and celtic I think I would still like to be able at least to hear each instrument distinctly when I can, though these types would tend more to blend them.

I've been using open phones but could go to closed if they would do the job.  Need ones to allow for extended listening.  Definitely street price under $200, preferably between $150 and $100.

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
I listen to wide variety of music including classical, jazz (instrumental & vocals), folk (acoustic), celtic, rock.  So maybe subject should say all?  Particularly the classical music with orchestras, quartets, etc; small jazz ensembles with artists like Diana Krall and Karrin Allyson, I would like soundstages wide and deep.  Ones where I can hear the bass player on the left, the sax player on the right, drums in rear, and singer in center-front.  Or with orchestras or quartets where I can pick out the instruments & their positions

With pop/rock and celtic I think I would still like to be able at least to hear each instrument distinctly when I can, though these types would tend more to blend them.

I've been using open phones but could go to closed if they would do the job.  Need ones to allow for extended listening.  Definitely street price under $200, preferably between $150 and $100.

Heya,

For the money, a pair of Sennheiser HD580's ($150!!!) would do you very well.

You'll want/need an amp likely.

Very best,

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 3
Depending on yoru music preference, I would conclude that you want a headphone that would give you a forward more powerful sound then a laid back Senn. 

Go for a Grado. Grado SR80i are good, but the SR125i are better. $100-$130

They have a sound signature like Senn, which would shine those acoustics and vocals, but then also give a more pushed and forward feeling. I like my Grado as a portable, and my Senn for reading. This is because my Senn are more laid back, even for their rouge model that isn't laid back. I really don't notice the music until I focus on it. But then it still comes to me as I read. Grado's pull me away from my book and to the music more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back