Best option for starting out with electrostatics?
Jul 26, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #16 of 23

Quote:
I use the STAX in my sig for gaming and found them always enjoyable.  What they don't do well is the very heavy explosions which will, I'll use the words, "break up".  A perfect example is when the atomic bomb goes off in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.  They could not handle this where as the Denon D-7000's with the MiniMAX had no problem.  The Denons with the Beta 22 in Dead Space 2 is just awesome.  What I'm basically trying to say here is don't overlook a good dynamic setup for gaming bliss.  The STAX are the best for hearing the slightest detail (try the Marine mission in Aliens vs Predator 2) and they will blow you away except for them certain, but not all, bass heavy stuff like rocket engines, explosions and big crashes. It is very annoying when the "break up" occurs  and really takes the fun factor out of the game because you will expect it to happen...  Don't know if the newer or better Stax headphones/amps will have this issue but in your case, since you are on a low budget, this will be a heads up for you so you won't be too disappointed. The open nature of Stax will surely bother other people in the house if used for gaming which is the major reason I also went with the closed Denon.  My advice is to wait for a STAX setup for gaming until you have more money and spend as much as necessary for a kick ass gaming system.  If for music... than a vintage STAX system will be well worth your effort to find & buy and I'm sure you'll be hooked on electrostatics for purchase in the future. 

Break up? you mean the distortion? serious distortion usually casued by the source or amp i my experience, make sure you turn off the EQ

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #17 of 23
Is there any vintage stax set up you can get with in $800? although I was planning to use that money to get a V200 lol 

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #18 of 23
Could be the amp as I only used the T' Red with the Stax on the computer when gaming.  EQ is always off on the X-Fi.  I did hook it up once to the Beta-22 but I have the gain (2x) set up for the Denon's and the Stax needs a higher gain (5x +) so it doesn't get loud enough to use for gaming.  With music using the T' Red amp I'm highly satisfied but never did play the 1812 Overture to really put it to the test.  No big deal for me anyway as my wife hates open headphones and goes absolutely ape whenever I use them when I game hence the closed D-7000's.  One of these days I will hook up my spare home theater amp (100 watts per channel) to the computer for the speakers and hook up the Stax to that and see if I get the same issues with explosions.  Anyway I interested in the closed Stax 4070 system for when I game (think that's the #) when I'm done fooling around with building DIY amps.  I have a Bottlehead SEX 2.1 and a Bijou to build yet so maybe the SEX can make a difference with the Stax.  Will give it a try anyway...

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #19 of 23
So far, no luck...saw some Koss ESP9s sell for under US$100 shipped on eBay, but passed on those due to comfort concerns. There aren't too many Lambdas showing up, but I did see a Lambda Nova Signature in the UK that's already going for US$383 with over a day left! (I have to factor in exchange rates with that one, but I would expect that particular model to fetch high prices since it has its own cult following within a cult following...)

Using closed-back Lambda offshoots like the 4070 for gaming, huh? The imaging doesn't suffer one bit? That might be another avenue to consider if I can find one I can afford. ($250 max is really tight when it comes to trying to get these things. $300 max would be just feasible...until the driver requirement gets factored in.)

Speaking of drivers, I've heard that the SRD-6 and SRD-7 can be modified for Pro bias if needed. Problem is, I haven't found any guides or instructions on how to do so. (I've done soldering work before, so that won't scare me off.) Still, if I knew how to do it, it would make a Lambda Pro a much more viable option for me given the very tight budget.

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #20 of 23
The 4070 is incredible for gaming but is a bit heavy and goes for WAY more than your budget.  Think more like $1350.  There are some special bias boards that will convert a SRD6 to output pro bias but I'm not sure how simple this is to do point to point.  It'd probably be pretty inexpensive though.  If you can't find a Lambda to buy you can PM me later if you want to buy a LNC at a fair price, but as you note it is one of the most expensive Lambdas to buy.

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #21 of 23

Quote:
Lambdas are the way to go. Those smal SR-X series and the like, although not sounding bad, they aren't world class performers. If strapped for cash just save up for an old Lambda. If you just want to take a sense of how a stat sounds try and demo a pair. You should get the message right in less than 10 minutes, for better or worse.

I highlighted that sentence because it's not quite true. A good stat amp will perform great and there are quite a few, just not for your budget I'm afraid. As for the SRD series energizers, most are quite good at what they're supposed to do. The added bonus is that they will "read" the amp behind them. I use a Jadis DA-60, a top tier tube integrated amp (although a bit vintage already), and that glorious sound passes on to the Lambdas. I've got a few mid priced amps and there's a world of a difference on the sound they transmit. A great amp with an energizer will pay off.

As for soundstage, don't ever expect too much out of a headphone. If it has to happen, let yourself be surprised... specially if you listen to loudspeakers. As for imaging, you can expect that from a Stax and it will deliver. I think the most amazing characteristic of my Stax rig, besides that almost perfect midrange is the effortlessness and dynamics they can provide - these two are so obvious that those 10 minutes I suggested will either sell you a Stax rig or... not.

So with a transformer like WES from woo audio, it would release all the potential of your amp? dose transformer require a speaker amp or normal headphone/preamp is fine? 

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #23 of 23

Quote:
So with a transformer like WES from woo audio, it would release all the potential of your amp? dose transformer require a speaker amp or normal headphone/preamp is fine? 

WES is a full amp. Did you mean WEE instead? I have never listened to this product so I'm afraid cannot say anything about it, except that it does what a Stax energizer would do. With a good speaker amp, an energizer makes all the sense. Why pay for 2 amps?

WEE can be setup with both normal and pro bias which is just great imo as you can grasp the whole Stax spectrum of earspeakers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back