Best of the Cheap Buds
Aug 23, 2010 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Amaze713

New Head-Fier
I'd like to say hello as this is my first post.

I am a musician (trumpet/piano/acoustic guitar) but haven't done recording -- so unfortunately, while I have a good ear, I am a noobphile when it comes to picking out headphones.

Being a poor college student I tried to do my research to find the best cheap buds (sub 40).

Below are the following that I found (all available via Amazon):

JBuds J3 Micro Atomic In-Ear Earphones            19.99 (sale)
Head Direct RE2                                                29.00
Denon AH C-360                                                32.47
Sennheiser CX380 Sports Series II                      35.49

As someone who can ascertain and recognize subtleties in music but is on a budget, which of the 4 would you choose (or another cheap IE headphone to suffice).

Thanks in Advance.

Matt

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 6
Sounds like you're after clarity and balance, in which case I highly recommend the mp4nation Brainwavz M1. However, there are dozens of other good budget options that you may not have come across in your research - ViSang R02, Meelectronics M6, ECCI PR200, Maximo iM-590, JVC FXC80, etc etc. Search function is your friend, as is one of the links in my sig (maybe). 

The RE2 is a good earphone but it's getting old and lags behind many others in terms of usability. It's also slightly anemic at the low end. The JBuds are fine for $20 but they are outclassed by quite a few earphones in the $30-40 range. The treble is a bit too aggressive and they don't sound very natural next to higher-end sets.

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 6
I'd advise against the "discount" the J3 have. I've never heard it but their pricing is just your typical marketing BS. The MSRP is set at 3-4x what they actually sell for.

If you can wait 2 weeks or so PL30 could also be an option but they ship from HK so shipping is longer since shipping is free. Meelectronics M9 could also be an option. They are also a good cheap pair. I'm not sure what you are after so some searching and research could be useful. That link in joker's signature for iem thread is a good place to start.

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 6
I kind of stretch my music from rock, pop, r&b, rap, classical, melodic, pretty much everything.

Thus, I was looking for something to give a decent kick in bass whenever I do listen to harder hitting songs.

I think the majority of my time is listening to single or multiple instrumentals i.e. jack johnson/amos lee/citizen cope/dmb
then some hard rock ac/dc/metallica
alt rock hoobastank/linkin park
classic rock eagles
and slight electronica e.g. daft punk

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 6
And think I'm going to do some reading in your thread to find a nice balance.. I'll check the ones you suggested if there's any others Im open to ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back