Best looking tube amp
Jul 10, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #1,096 of 1,828
So, what does it sound like... when dropped
eek.gif

confused.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #1,098 of 1,828
Mies is all about exploding the box, the exact opposite of this actually! Maybe the guts exposed would be like Richard Rogers (the Pompidou Museum is an example)

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #1,100 of 1,828
Quote:
Mies is all about exploding the box, the exact opposite of this actually! Maybe the guts exposed would be like Richard Rogers (the Pompidou Museum is an example)

That's an interesting observation, far more advanced than what I had in mind ("less is more").

Rather "necessity is the mother of invention" (musical reference can't be avoided), in the spirit of simple functionalism.

Bought an amp kit for 50 bucks.

Needed a case. Took my bike on a free weekend and visited five or six stores, finally found these at Ikea for 12 bucks.

Power in on the inside, power out on the outside.

Or, as some clever person coined the phrase: "Think outside the box".

More about this $70 amp here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/670746/the-bamboo-6n3p-tube-preamp

Oh, the Memphis Group was unknown to me (I'm too old) - apt comparison. Are you all architects/designers out there?

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #1,101 of 1,828
Forgot to mention that this is a preamp without headphone output, I use it together with low voltage sources and a regular headphone amp.

Someone tried it as a headphone amp, apparently without much success:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626374/muse-tu-20-tube-amp-anyone-try-this-little-cutie#post_9348105

Jul 21, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #1,104 of 1,828
Quote:
Memphis Group is early 1980s. You can't be that old! 
eek.gif

Oh, I was in my mid twenties, but already my taste for style hade been thoroughly influenced by dada, Bauhaus, functionalism etc. Those were the days! Very little exciting seems to have surfaced since then...

Anyways, I hade some boxes left and realized I didn't like the perspex covers of my Indeed G3 amp, so there again a solution presented itself. This time I had to get a fretsaw and a 25 mm cylinder drill. Butchered the bottom of one box to make the top cover, and used one of the lids as a base. In there is also space for capacitors etc should I decide to beef the amp up.

Result is a decorative liitle piece, in the Egyptian inspired art deco style (with a hint of pagodas). Could be the top of a NY skyscraper.

The Indeed G3 is a fantastic little amp, with goood gain and power and a convincing sound stage. 5814 tube (ECC82) and mosfets, class A. Heartily recommended for all who likes to make a bargain.

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #1,108 of 1,828
arc looks cheap but well made (I bet their profit margin is like porsche's) and the cary would have been decent if not for the garish meters and the blinding leds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back