Best looking CD Player: Redbook, SACD or DVD-A?
Jan 26, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #61 of 110
Quote:

Originally posted by kartik
Theaudiohobby,
when are you going to receive the transformers. I'm all agog in expectation waiting for your comments. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment but still agog it is. One thing the sharp amp is REALLY picky about the speakers and really likes efficient drivers, so try a couple before you begin buring in. I specifically chose my speakers for their 93db efficiency.

You needn't have worried, I have received the transformer but not the power strip there4 I am only running the amplifier at present. The amp drives both speakers just fine. The amplifier is a peach and the Icons speakers are rated at 84db
biggrin.gif
One wrinkle though, the transformer is not that great, it has a slight buzz even without the amp connected to it but hey it is not an audiophile component.

I see the reason why they demoed with the ELACs, it is like duck taking to water, even demoing with the SCD1 the bass definition is incredible. To put things in perspective for you, I think that the SCD1/Sharp SMSX1/ELACs sounds better on SACD than the Krell/New Pathos Classic One/Wilson Benesch Acts combo I listened to recently by a margin.
cool.gif
cool.gif
In a way, it is ironic because the Sharp amplifier gets me excited about modding the SCD1, if it this good stock, imagine how good it will be after mods
wink.gif
wink.gif
. Once I get the power strip, I will A/B the Sharp SACD player against the SCD1.
biggrin.gif
Interesting times ahead.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

PS: the SCD1/SMSX1/Cyrus Icons sounds even better than the SCD1/SMSX1/ELACs, but my text was getting long winded.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
Many a SET will be put to shame by this combo, the future is here and it is called Sigma Delta

Jan 26, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #62 of 110
What the ...
How come? I'm shocked. I really thought the Elacs would be the answer to all ails with the SMSX1. I guess the reveiwers were smoking the wrong stuff when they reviewed this setup. I completely agree about the bass definition though. What cables are you using? Whatever they are, if they aren't silver, you need to change 'em. Silver cables make a gigantic difference to the bass definition in this rig. It is moot if you use the SACD output of the DXSX1 though. BTW what do you think of the proprietary cables, both the power cables and the DSD cable. Do you think there's room there for improvement here?
Still shocked!

Jan 26, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #64 of 110
Quote:

The k1000s will rule with this setup.
biggrin.gif

I believe you and I am getting one as soon as
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #65 of 110
Quote:

What the ...
How come? I'm shocked. I really thought the Elacs would be the answer to all ails with the SMSX1. I guess the reveiwers were smoking the wrong stuff when they reviewed this setup.

Lest I provide the wrong impressions, the ELAC are 86db and the Icons 84db, however the Sharp drives both of them just fine, I assume both speakers do not have violent impedance curves.

Quote:

I completely agree about the bass definition though. What cables are you using? Whatever they are, if they aren't silver, you need to change 'em. Silver cables make a gigantic difference to the bass definition in this rig. It is moot if you use the SACD output of the DXSX1 though. BTW what do you think of the proprietary cables, both the power cables and the DSD cable. Do you think there's room there for improvement here?
Still shocked!

All the cables in the system are silver plated jobbies apart from the speaker links. The simple AC filter I am using is very effective and since the system already sounds very good I have had little incentive to experiment with power cables.

Jan 26, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #66 of 110
Please post your A/B review with the SCD-1 and the DXSX1 when you get the powerstrip. Even without cans it would be an interesting source comparison.

Jan 26, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #67 of 110
My shock was as much for your comments on the speakers as for the fact that the Sharp-SCD1 combo took on the Krell-New Pathos combo.

Jan 26, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #68 of 110
Quote:

My shock was as much for your comments on the speakers as for the fact that the Sharp-SCD1 combo took on the Krell-New Pathos combo.

..sorry I had to do a detour to address an issue on another thread, the Krell is a very good player but the Sharp is a very good amp.
wink.gif
I am thrilled that the Sharp is another component that has lived up to it's billing to these ears.

Jan 26, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #70 of 110
Quote:

Originally posted by theaudiohobby
..sorry I had to do a detour to address an issue on another thread, the Krell is a very good player but the Sharp is a very good amp.
wink.gif
I am thrilled that the Sharp is another component that has lived up to it's billing to these ears.

What about the Krell and the Sharp as a combo?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 27, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #71 of 110
Quote:

What about the Krell and the Sharp as a combo?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't hate expensive equipment, I just want more money!
evil_smiley.gif
k1000smile.gif

Jan 27, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #72 of 110
Welcome theaudiohobby to Team Sharp Digital! I have a SM-SX1 (and a NIB spare) that i use with my K-1000's... get ready for dynamic nirvana!

Jan 27, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #74 of 110
I hate both of you! I have just the Grado SR-325 and am currently stuck in audio-limbo while you two are talking of nirvana1
wink.gif

Larry,
As a member of Team Sharp Digital please pass along all your K1000 tweaks to theaudiohobby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back