Best IEM's for under $100 that have a flat frequency response?
Sep 8, 2011 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Primusman

New Head-Fier
Well, I'll first say that this is my first post on this forum. I wouldn't consider myself to be a hardcore audiophile, and don't want to buy many pairs of headphones. Instead, i'd rather just get 1 or 2 really good headphones that suit my needs.

Anyways, I'm currently using Audio Technical ATH M50's as my main set of cans, but I'm in need of a good pair of IEM's for when cans aren't appropriate. The title pretty much says it all: I like to have a flat frequency response, and would prefer to spend less than 100 dollars (Canadian). I won't be able to buy online, so please try to limit this to in-store prices.

I like to listen to Country, Classical, Classic Rock, a bit of Modern Rock, and very little Pop. So, based on my requirements, what would you guys recommend?

Regards,
Primusman.

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 49
The Ultimate Ears 600 can be found at Canadian Best Buy stores and goes for $99. They're pretty good for the price if you don't include online retailers. Frequency response is pretty flat from lows to midrange, but the highs are a bit recessed.

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 49
Unfortunately, I'm not liking the cords of the RE0 and HF5. The Logitech Ultimate Ears 600 seem to be fairly good, though. I also looked at a local Best Buy, and found a set of Sony MDR-EX310lp's, and they look pretty good. I was wondering if anyone had any opinion on them?

Also, if perhaps I were to go higher than $100, maybe up to $150, there are the Sennheiser CX880i's. Would you guys recommend them for $140? What's their frequency response like? Also, how are the Monster Turbines Copper for $150 (not the Pros)?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
Primusman.

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 49
I would go for the Monter Turbine Coppers. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "not the pros".
Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm not liking the cords of the RE0 and HF5. The Logitech Ultimate Ears 600 seem to be fairly good, though. I also looked at a local Best Buy, and found a set of Sony MDR-EX310lp's, and they look pretty good. I was wondering if anyone had any opinion on them?

Also, if perhaps I were to go higher than $100, maybe up to $150, there are the Sennheiser CX880i's. Would you guys recommend them for $140? What's their frequency response like? Also, how are the Monster Turbines Copper for $150 (not the Pros)?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
Primusman.

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 49
Turbines arent neutral I think. Not by a long shot.

The UE700's destroy the UE600s. Especially when neutrality is key.

~150 is entering dual BA waters. You can get the Q-Jays, the Fischer Audio DBA-02, the Brainwavz B2 and the Ultimate Ears 700. All are neutral sounding. All share the same dual balanced armature drivers :)

Pick one :p

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #9 of 49

Quote:
Turbines arent neutral I think. Not by a long shot.

The UE700's destroy the UE600s. Especially when neutrality is key.

~150 is entering dual BA waters. You can get the Q-Jays, the Fischer Audio DBA-02, the Brainwavz B2 and the Ultimate Ears 700. All are neutral sounding. All share the same dual balanced armature drivers :)

Pick one :p

I've had both. I'd recommend the UE 700 except they're not easy to obtain in Canadian retailers.

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 49
Thanks again for the replies, everyone. What I meant by "Pros", is that there are two types of Turbine Coppers: The Coppers, and the Copper Pros.

As for the Sony's, what does everyone think? For some reason, I'm really attracted to them, without even having heard them. Also, I'm going to be staying in the under $100 range, I think, so it's either between the UE's or the Sony's. Could someone with some experience please tell me the pros and cons of each? 

Thanks again for all of the help,
Primusman.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 49
No, there is only one Copper. There are two Turbine Pro models, the Golds and the Coppers.

As far as flat frequency response, are you basing that on your M50? If so you probably will like the Coppers.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 49
Definitely RE0. I find them more neutral than the Etymotics.

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #14 of 49
I have the EX1000s and they are my favourite IEM to date, so that might give you some indication of what the EX600s are like. Saying this, I doubt that they are neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back