Best IEMs for mids? custom or universal
Jul 19, 2008 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Fud

100+ Head-Fier
Thinking of upgrading my ultraportable setup, looking in the $200-300 range. Suggestions for both universals and customs are welcome (leaning towards customs, if the mids are that much better) I would like to get the best mids without sacrificing too much in the treble or bass (importance in that order). Been enjoying the grado sr-225 a lot, if that helps suggestions along. Used universals in my price range are ok as well.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 16
TF10 has a somewhat recessed mid. For what the OP's described, SA6 seems to fit perfectly.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 16
With the caveat that I have no experience with customs, I agree with ClieOS. Give the Sleek Audio SA6 some serious consideration.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 16
I've been reading good things about the SA6, but I'm looking into customs because the isolation on my current IEMs don't quite cut it. How is the isolation on the SA6? I'm guessing it doesn't match up to customs, but even a little more might be ok, plus the universals have resale value.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 16
I get -30~34dB from SA6 with bi-flange, which I believe is among the best isolation of any IEM, custom or not. Most custom is rated at about -26dB.

Jul 19, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 16
For great mids and very good isolation, I would recommend the Shure SE420s or SE530s. You can get the SE530s on eBay for $280 and SE420 cheaper then that. I highly recommend those. My only caveat based on your requirements are that Shures have a rolled-off treble at the high end, which really doesn't bother me personally. The bass is phenomenal too. They are also the most comfortable IEMs I've ever tried. If you don't like the treble roll-off, I recommend the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro (Triple.Fi 10 Pros are much better, but out of your price range), they have a more prominent upper-end and good all-around sound. They are still comfortable and isolate well, but not as well as the Shures.

Jul 20, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 16
To counter that a bit -- In my experience, the super.fi 5 Pros are a dramatic step down from the SA6, especially in midrange presentation. Meanwhile, I found the super.fi 5 Pro's treble peaky and fatiguing. Prominent? Yes. Refined? No. I agree that isolation was decent, though months of use never made them particularly comfortable for me in comparison to other IEMs; their heft and chiefly outside-the-ear positionality meant I had to constantly re-situate them to maintain a seal.

Jul 20, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To counter that a bit -- In my experience, the super.fi 5 Pros are a dramatic step down from the SA6, especially in midrange presentation. Meanwhile, I found the super.fi 5 Pro's treble peaky and fatiguing. Prominent? Yes. Refined? No. I agree that isolation was decent, though months of use never made them particularly comfortable for me in comparison to other IEMs; their heft and chiefly outside-the-ear positionality meant I had to constantly re-situate them to maintain a seal.

Right on assessment of the super.fi 5 pros vs. the SA6, they aren't in the same league. I should have included the SA6s. As I said, the Triple.Fi 10 Pros are a much better selection, but they are a bit too expensive, unless you can get a good deal.

Jul 20, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 16
In my limited experience I have found that the Shures isolate so well because of their olives. The olives do fit the Sleeks (barely) and for the short time I have used them I find that Isolation is at least as good on the SA6's as on my old SE210's.

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #14 of 16
I don't know anything about the RE262.

May I suggest you to look at the Earsonics SM2 and SM3 ? I prefer their mids to the SE530 ones and I actually think they've got the best mids I've ever listened to with in ear headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back