Best IEMs for ~200?
Jan 8, 2011 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

RainofSorrow

New Head-Fier
Maybe 250, but 200 is the most comfortable price I'm willing to spend. If the IEM is amazing for 250, I'll consider it.

Also, I have been looking at the UE TripleFi 10, and they seem pretty nice, but based on your guys' opinions(Been lurking for about 2 months before joining >_>), they have a terrible cable, right? I don't feel like shelling out $200 only to have to replace the cable within a few weeks. I will be using these for regular commute(Train, Bus, Walking, etc), so noisy environment is something that I want blocked out.

Suggestions?

Edit: Forgot to add that I listen to Metalcore, Alternative, Indie Rock, Hip-Hop mostly.

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 26
DBA-02, RE252, New  Radius DDM model released in late January hopefully will isolate better then the current version (HP-TWF11)..
Ortofon e-Q5 is also worthwhile considering if you have $250 to spare..

Jan 8, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 26
UE TripleFi 10 selling at amazon $180+ is pretty good.
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #5 of 26
New RE-262 fs as we speak on the FS threads

Price : 150$ (retail is 260)

Nothing better imo.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/532565/fs-hifiman-re-262-earphones

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 26

Quote:
I think I might bite the bullet and go for the TripleFi's.

Btw, anyone here listened to the Westone 2? Are they worth shelling out another $70 to get?

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, with a similar budget, and I'm also considering the westone 2.  Let us know what you decide to go for, personally I think I'm going to try to get some used westone 2's if I can.

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 26
Triple.fi has excellent sound quality if you can get a good fit with it. It is quite large, so if you have small ear canals you may have fit issues. If you do decide to go with Triple.fi, I recommend that you try some different tips. The stock ones provide quite a V-shaped frequency response meaning that the bass and treble will be emphasized over the midrange. This is good for low volume listening, but can become fatiguing at higher volume levels. I think Sennheiser IE/CX single flange silicone tips provide a more balanced sound and are also softer and more comfortable.

If you are looking for a neutral, accurate sound, nothing beats Hifiman RE252 in that price range. But the fit with RE252 was awful for me - they kept on sliding out of my ears with any tips, so it's a gamble. Personally, my primary recommendation is getting a used RE262 from the forum. The new RE262 is much easier to fit than RE252 and is also more fun sounding, but still technically brilliant (maybe even more so than the 252s). I think RE262 will probably be your best bet in the price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back