Best IEM tips?
Jan 2, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #2,866 of 3,300
If I order the Tangzu Sancai, how will I know that it will fit the nozzle of my IEM? (Hyla CE-5)?

Measure nozzle external diameter, unless it's under 4mm you should be okay. Tips will usually stretch over a larger nozzle with a little perseverance. Smaller nozzles are the nuisance when the tips come off in your ear! If the nozzle is really large I think SpinFit do some with a bigger bore (CP-155?).

Edit: The Tangzu fit normally on most of my IEMs I tried them on.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 1:58 AM Post #2,869 of 3,300
Any of you has tried the velvet divinus tips? specifically for long listening sessions
Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 00-52-44 DIVINUS Velvet High-Quality Comfortable Ear Tips.png
I use them on my Maestro SE, they are very nice. They slip right in no trouble, and lock in as a bit of moisture builds up in the ear canal. The thickness of the silicon traps in a lot of bass, but that texture makes sure to not irritate the sensitive skin in the ear canal through repeated insertions/removals.

These are pretty much my favorite tips bar none. Tanchjim APBs and Azla lights come close for specific IEMs.

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #2,870 of 3,300
Any of you has tried the velvet divinus tips? specifically for long listening sessions
Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 00-52-44 DIVINUS Velvet High-Quality Comfortable Ear Tips.png

With their somewhat blunt rounded shape they seem to be best on IEM with shorter nozzles and shallower insertion depths.

A more tapered tip like the CP100 or CP145 seems to me to be better suited to IEM with long nozzles and deeper insertion depths.

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #2,871 of 3,300
With their somewhat blunt rounded shape they seem to be best on IEM with shorter nozzles and shallower insertion depths.

A more tapered tip like the CP100 or CP145 seems to me to be better suited to IEM with long nozzles and deeper insertion depths.
Generally true, but given a bit of a wider ear canal, the wide bore isn't that much of a problem. I don't know of any IEMs outside of Etymotics that fit deeper than the MSE and the velvets work just fine. Granted I have to go down 2 sizes (ML to MS).

These also don't obstruct the bore of the IEM so the FR doesn't get affected as much. Spinfits always make my IEMs sound off with all the complex junk going on at the nozzle. Of all the spinfits, W1s are the best because the stem is grippier and the nozzle is the least obstructing.

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #2,872 of 3,300
I have received the Tangzu Sincai M size with wide bores. Usually I use M size, but for Tangzu I would choose S size for a better seal.
In other aspects they have impressed me. Firstly, they are very soft and don't irritate the ears, they're not slippery as azla xelastec and are easy to carry.
In terms of sound.
I used them mostly with my A8's from Moondrop. As we know The A8's have a little emphasis on mid bass. So with Tangzu the bass becomes more tighter and more controlled, due to wide bores. Also the sound has more air and is more open.
I compared the with Kbear 07 and TRN T-ears, and the seal on TRN and Kbears is better, but when we're talking about the sound, the Tangzu delivers a better result.
I'm waiting to compare Tangzu with Symbio W and spiraldots.
So for those who are ok with wided bore eartips, then Tangzu are easy to recommend.

Attachments

• IMG_20240103_141405.jpg
    IMG_20240103_141405.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jan 3, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #2,874 of 3,300
Generally true, but given a bit of a wider ear canal, the wide bore isn't that much of a problem. I don't know of any IEMs outside of Etymotics that fit deeper than the MSE and the velvets work just fine. Granted I have to go down 2 sizes (ML to MS).

These also don't obstruct the bore of the IEM so the FR doesn't get affected as much. Spinfits always make my IEMs sound off with all the complex junk going on at the nozzle. Of all the spinfits, W1s are the best because the stem is grippier and the nozzle is the least obstructing.

I didn’t refer to the bore size only the general shape of the tip. Of course that is only my experience based on my ear anatomy and as you stated more or less any tip can work with a deep insertion if you go a couple of sizes smaller than usual.

For me the shape and medium bore size of the Velvet works great on several IEM but the flange at the base of the stem doesn’t work well on the somewhat wide and smooth nozzle of my AuR Audio Neon Pro. The CP145 works great on those in terms of the shape matching my ear anatomy and the somewhat deep fit and long nozzle, the bore size versus nozzle outlet size and how they sound.

Actually I find title of this form to be a bit odd, there is no such thing as generally “best” tips only what are best for a certain person and IEM or combination. I have bought tips that have been raved about by others only for them to be essentially useless for me and my IEM.

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #2,875 of 3,300
I didn’t refer to the bore size only the general shape of the tip. Of course that is only my experience based on my ear anatomy and as you stated more or less any tip can work with a deep insertion if you go a couple of sizes smaller than usual.

For me the shape and medium bore size of the Velvet works great on several IEM but the flange at the base of the stem doesn’t work well on the somewhat wide and smooth nozzle of my AuR Audio Neon Pro. The CP145 works great on those in terms of the shape matching my ear anatomy and the somewhat deep fit and long nozzle, the bore size versus nozzle outlet size and how they sound.

Actually I find title of this form to be a bit odd, there is no such thing as generally “best” tips only what are best for a certain person and IEM or combination. I have bought tips that have been raved about by others only for them to be essentially useless for me and my IEM.
I hate IEMs that don't have a good nozzle with tip retention, those things are impossible to work with. In your case, I agree, my Variations is the one IEM I use CP155s for because nothing else works.

There may not be a so-called best tip, but it's nice to know about our good options out there. Found some nice tips through this thread.

Jan 3, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #2,876 of 3,300
So I got the size variety pack of Dunu S&S and Divinus Velvet, once I find the one that fits, would anyone want to swap the ones I don't use with me?

For example, you have the variety pack of Dunu S&S, you use M, I use L. I send you my M, you send me your L?

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #2,877 of 3,300
I find that talking about the best tips without mentioning which IEM they were tested with is a bit pointless, as the whole idea of rolling tips is finding good synergy.
The music you listen to, and your preferred tuning, also matter a lot.
I listen to Metal and Rock, and like V-shapes because I love bass and treble. However, I also value mids, so I want the IEMs to shine.

With my Monarch MK3, I liked the tips in this order:
  1. Divinus Velvet: BEST: Enhances the bass and the treble, leaves mids untouched. Supreme comfort. This will make some tracks sound too intense at times, but I just lower the volume and enjoy.

2. Dunu S&S: EXCELLENT: They are a little less intense than the Divinus (very slightly tamer treble), but otherwise sound great. I liked the fit too. They are slightly sticky but nowhere near as much as Xelastecs, so I find them comfortable. However, I keep going back to the Divinus.

3. Azla Xelastec: GOOD: I found the sound to be really nice, very similar to the S&S but the material is too sticky for my liking. I can't daily drive these.

4. Azla Sednaear Regular: OK: Nice material, nice fit, but the sound is very "meh" compared to the Divinus.

5. Azla Sednaear Light: OK: Slightly softer than the regulars, but honestly, I can't tell if they sound any different to the regulars at all. Very meh.

6. Tangzu Sancai Wide Bore: OK: They feel cheap on your hands, but are actually very comfortable to wear. However, they killed the bass feel of the mk3s. I will keep them to try with other IEMs.
With my MEST MK2:
I am still trying to find the right tip. I'm not satisfied yet: Wanna check if a short tip (tws?) increases bone conduction and/or tames treble slightly.
  1. Divinus Velvet EXCELLENT: Same reasons as on the Monarch MK3.

2. Azla Xelastec: GOOD: The MEST MK2 actually ships with these. They sound great. I'm not a fan of the material, though.

3. Azla Sednaear Regular: OK: Same reasons as on the Monarch MK3.

4. Azla Sednaear Light: OK: Same reasons as on the Monarch MK3.

5. Tangzu Sancai Wide Bore: BAD. With this IEM they don't work, imho. Too bright! My ears! The IEMs also keep falling off my ears.

6. Dunu S&S: TERRIBLE: Wanna kill all the bone conduction and the bass magic? Use these. I'm amazed how good they are with the monarch and how bad they are with the MEST. I've just retried them: It's mostly a fit thing, but nothing I do works. They just won't seal. If you absolutely cram them in to the point where they are super uncomfortable, the pressure builds up and they are damn horrible - sound only gets as good as with the Xelastecs at most, so it's not worth the effort.
For the MEST I have Final Type E on the way, and I'm considering trying ePro TWS (something that gets the body of the IEM closer to my ear).
To complete my rolling experience I'm considering trying AEX70, Nostalgia XWB and Eletech Baroque and Spinfit W1/Omni, but I'm going to enjoy what I have for a while.

Last piece of advice: I thought I had to use size "M" to get a good fit, but with these IEMs with wide nozzles, I have found that I like smaller tips. The Medium hurts after 30 mins or so. Now that I've found that I really like the Divinus, I have ordered another pack that is "MS" (the S will be too small to seal).

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #2,879 of 3,300
Howdy all,

I have been lurking this thread for some time now and finally decided to register. Big AZLA fan here. :muscle:

As I have oily skin, opting for firm eartips is a requirement. Hope I can contribute with this thread moving forward.

I am still trying to find the right tip. I'm not satisfied yet: Wanna check if a short tip (tws?) increases bone conduction and/or tames treble slightly.

Have you tried the Crystals? They are very underrated IMHO whereas the Xelastecs are the overrated ones. Barely use them myself.

The TWS versions (Crystal and MAX) work well for me (shallow insertion) if I go bigger in size -- e.g.: from M to ML. For a deeper insertion then I go the other way around with the STD ones -- e.g.: from M to MS.

Cheers.

PS.: In the AZLA world, my optimum size is ML. Crystal L is simply impossible for me, for instance. Maybe at the end of the day where my ears are lubricated enough. :see_no_evil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back