Best IEM tips?
Aug 5, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #961 of 3,365
Guys can anybody help me with the sizing? I am looking to buy a pair of spiraldots. I normally use spinfits M size. I know the measurements are same but heard spiral dots are a bit wider. Should I go for a SM spiral dots?

If you use SpinFit CP100 M ear tips, then get the JVC Spiral Dot (original, not sure about + or ++) ML ear tips, as the SD nozzle can very slightly pivot towards your ear canal direction.

The Xelastec are my New Favorite Tips Of the Day - they remind me of a STICKY form of the Original UE tips and are likewise blunted.

HOWEVER, being sticky means they pick up crap like fine cat hair and whatever else floats in the summer air ..

Very good seal in my ears and BOOM, even richer bass with Hyla TE-5B — and these IEMs are relatively tip-agnostic.

Thankfully, I ordered “two sizes small” per the Amazon reviews and they seem to have a good fit - my normal size would have been a nightmare to try and fit in, even without twisting involved!

I find that I need to do the “open jaw and shove in IEMs until they are felt against skull” with the Xelastec to get the better seal, as STICKY.

Also, darts should be pointy and potentially dangerous :)

I have spent close to $50 on Azla Sedna Earfit Xelastic ear tips and they are worth every penny for me. I still recommend going a size or two down from your usual ear tip size, but that is based on how deep the nozzle goes into your ear. Some guy in the CA Solaris impressions thread recommend going SS for their Solaris, despite wearing JVC Spiral Dot ML ear tips. I cannot get the SS to fully seal on the Solaris, but S work perfectly, though the outer nozzle edges can be felt during fitting. The SS work on my LZ A4 with screw-on-filter and tapering screw-in housing, so I can only recommend going three sizes down for super-long-and-straight nozzles (like JH Audio universal) or straight-nozzle-and-housing IEMs, like the LZ A4. The original MS ear tips work great on regular housing, but odd nozzle size/shape IEMs, or even typical IEMs.

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #962 of 3,365
If you use SpinFit CP100 M ear tips, then get the JVC Spiral Dot (original, not sure about + or ++) ML ear tips, as the SD nozzle can very slightly pivot towards your ear canal direction.

I have spent close to $50 on Azla Sedna Earfit Xelastic ear tips and they are worth every penny for me. I still recommend going a size or two down from your usual ear tip size, but that is based on how deep the nozzle goes into your ear. Some guy in the CA Solaris impressions thread recommend going SS for their Solaris, despite wearing JVC Spiral Dot ML ear tips. I cannot get the SS to fully seal on the Solaris, but S work perfectly, though the outer nozzle edges can be felt during fitting. The SS work on my LZ A4 with screw-on-filter and tapering screw-in housing, so I can only recommend going three sizes down for super-long-and-straight nozzles (like JH Audio universal) or straight-nozzle-and-housing IEMs, like the LZ A4. The original MS ear tips work great on regular housing, but odd nozzle size/shape IEMs, or even typical IEMs.
Thanks for the reply. I use spinfit CP145 M size and was thinking the same size would work for spiral fits. So I should be looking for a ML size.

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #963 of 3,365
Hey,

a few days ago I bought the JVC Spiral Dots and I‘m using the MS ones (the M size also fits, I have a slightly better seal but the MS are more comfortable) and now I wanted to try out the Xelastecs.
But now I don‘t know if I should buy the package with SS/S/MS or MS/M/ML.

What would you say based on the Spiral Dots?

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #964 of 3,365
Thanks for the reply. I use spinfit CP145 M size and was thinking the same size would work for spiral fits. So I should be looking for a ML size.

Yeah, the Spiral Dots are softer than the SpinFits, but are more smooth, so sizing up one spot is fine for a more complete seal. However, I am not sure about sizing up two spots.

Hey,

a few days ago I bought the JVC Spiral Dots and I‘m using the MS ones (the M size also fits, I have a slightly better seal but the MS are more comfortable) and now I wanted to try out the Xelastecs.
But now I don‘t know if I should buy the package with SS/S/MS or MS/M/ML.

What would you say based on the Spiral Dots?

Typically, I would ask about what type of IEMs you are using, but since you like the MS Spiral Dots more for flexible comfort...I would definitely get the SS/S/MS Xelastic pack. If you want one size, then the S size will work just fine.

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #965 of 3,365
More importantly, it's great to see another Rush fan on the forum! I can't tell you how much I loved Rush in my late teens. Rush at Manchester Free Trade Hall in 1977 was probably the best gig I've been to. The excitement and positivity was palpable. Rush were kind of unheard of at the time yet the gig sold out in hours and everyone there knew every word to every song. RIP Neil and thanks for the memories Geddy and Alex.

Aug 8, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #968 of 3,365
So any differences between Sednaearfit and Sednaearfit light? Guess I use light if I find standard uncomfortable?

The light is clear (vs black like the regular), and the silicone is softer. Other than that, they are exactly the same size and shape.

I own both, and much prefer the Light.

Aug 8, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #969 of 3,365
So any differences between Sednaearfit and Sednaearfit light? Guess I use light if I find standard uncomfortable?
I honestly can‘t tell much of a difference between the two. I use the light, and the light version seems to almost always be preferred by those that have compared them. I don’t think I’ve come across a post of someone who prefers the regular version.

Aug 8, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #970 of 3,365
I
I honestly can‘t tell much of a difference between the two. I use the light, and the light version seems to almost always be preferred by those that have compared them. I don’t think I’ve come across a post of someone who prefers the regular version.
I remember reading this probably less than a month ago from KopiOkaya's Tweaking Tips - A Simplified Guide to IEM Silicone Eartips. Probably goes without saying, but still worth saying the rating and details are quoted directly from him.

"Azla Sedna EarFit (Regular)
Bore size: wide
Stem length: long
Feel: sturdy and very firm
Bass: 4
Midrange: 4.5
Treble: 4
Soundstage: 3.75
Vocal presence: 4.5
For long nozzle good midrange
Purchased from Amazon Japan

Azla Sedna EarFit (Light)
Bore size: wide
Stem length: long
Feel: sturdy and very firm
Bass: 3.75
Midrange: 4
Treble: 3.5
Soundstage: 3.75
Vocal presence: 4.25
A “lighter” version of the regular Sedna EarFit. More balanced-sounding overall.
Purchased from Amazon Japan"

Not sure if typo or not but notice he writes "Sturdy and very firm" on both, so I guess this mean you'd need some really sturdy ear canals for the standard one unless you're asking for itchy ears, hence most people preferring light.

I also wonder if the wide bore size and long stem length make it ideal for my BL-03.

Edit: KZ tips also seem to count as wide and long when reversed.

Edit 2: Typically I use 12mm eartips, but this is for... Normal insertion? If designed for shallow insertion. Do I have to choose a larger size?

Edit 3: I wonder how much ideal size can vary and what size I'd order. as I found out the current tips I use measure 13.4mm or so, however I do find their grip rather tight, but I also find 12mm rather loose, so I wonder if M's 12.6mm is as close to perfect as it gets for me.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #971 of 3,365
Never thought about that, but can anyone confirm?

I saw that site, which played a part in me ordering the Xelastecs. The Acoustune tips that came with my IEMs hurt my ears even with the smallest sizes, so it made me hesitant to try the Sedna Earfits.

The site, if anyone is curious:
https://www.audioreviews.org/guide-to-iem-silicone-eartips/

Aug 9, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #972 of 3,365
IMG_20200809_005601.jpg
Did it with a ruler by laying them flat on it since I don't have any precise measurement tools but this is the one, probably not 13.4mm exactly but rather a little over 13mm so the 13.4mm is mostly a wild guess. It grips a little tight, but if I use the 12mm its a little on the loose side (enough that it depends on the cable to not fall out), so I wonder if the sednaearfit's 12.6mm M size would be a nice inbetween. (Also showcasing what I did to the cable with scissors here although this is probably more relevant on the BLON thread)
black tip.jpg
Also excuse my lack of photography skills here, but I find this fascinating. Its bore is so wide, the nozzle is clearly visible through it, so you'd think it'd get a very loose grip on the BL-03. But I found out it grips it VERY well and I imagine part of that is because the stem is super stiff, I have to make an active effort to get them out despite how wide they are. Sadly I can't really put these on as they are ever larger than the first ones (Just shy of 14mm according to my ruler) so it goes from tight on the first one to painful before it even has a chance to seal properly.

Also shoutouts to soas for putting the link that I should have in the previous reply.

Aug 9, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #974 of 3,365
The Sedna Earfit tips (either one) have never caused me any discomfort, FWIW. I would think that if they were any softer, they wouldn’t hold their shape well enough.

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #975 of 3,365
Well I ended up pulling the trigger on Sedna Earfit Light M. Keeping my fingers crossed since eartips are exceptionally unpredictable. Probably none of us (not even myself) will know my actual impressions until I put the in my ears (But then again I went relatively blind on my BL-03 and I have zero regrets about that one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back