Best IEM tips?
Jan 22, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #706 of 3,241
I haven't noticed any problems with imaging. I can see considering the bores of the Sednas too wide, though, since they do have an impact on the sound. Good for IEMs that may be considered too dark, but for anything that's already neutral or bright, I would personally avoid them. But that's personal preference/variation.

Some tips I find can impact staging, particularly Spiral Dots. In that case, sometimes it's a positive impact and sometimes it's a negative impact. But again this may all depend on individual ear anatomy as well so ::shrug::
I gave them more tries with different iems, and notice some oddity in the mids vocals like it's recessed than it should be. It's not in the typical female vocal area, but lower.

For me bore diameter really does matter.

The two kinds of tips I use most often that sound most correct has been either Spiral Dots or Final Audio tips. I like Symbio W as well, and had to order another set.

How about some recommendation on cheap Chinese stuff on AliExpress? I find all these tips to be pricier than they should be.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #707 of 3,241
I gave them more tries with different iems, and notice some oddity in the mids vocals like it's recessed than it should be. It's not in the typical female vocal area, but lower.

For me bore diameter really does matter.

The two kinds of tips I use most often that sound most correct has been either Spiral Dots or Final Audio tips. I like Symbio W as well, and had to order another set.

How about some recommendation on cheap Chinese stuff on AliExpress? I find all these tips to be pricier than they should be.

KZ Starlines are medium bore, with a long shape that works well with some IEMs that may have shorter stems that are also too wide to fit a Final E tip.

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #708 of 3,241
Jan 25, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #709 of 3,241
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-iem-tips.626895/page-46#post-15418889
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-iem-tips.626895/page-46#post-15418950

So the small Ikko tips ended up being uncomfortable for my smaller ears canals. When I ordered them I thought they were 11.2mm which would have been closer to my ideal size.

10411933.jpg

A couple days ago I came across the Misodiko tips which are a similar design but their small and large size tips are just a bit smaller. They're also available on Amazon US or AliExpress. I've ordered them in small to try.

Ikko tips: S 11.5 | M 12.5 | L 13.5
Misodiko: S 10.9 | M 12.4 | L 13.0

10416466.jpg

10416467.jpg

While these may be originally designed for TWS use, for those of us that have shallower ear canals it may work for a more stable fit. The design also means the foam doesn't affect the highs as much as say a Comply or Txxx foam tip would, as there is little to no foam sound would travel through. Ymmv.

I also recently got a pair of TWS that have a relatively large nozzle size with no lip. Similar to the moondrop a8 or the audiosense t800. I prefer foam tips and I'm not a fan of how Comply tips are basically consumables. I poked around on AE for a bit and found Anjirui has some large bore tips meant for 6.5-7.5mm nozzles. I've ordered those too.

10416714.jpg

10416711.jpg

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #710 of 3,241
KZ Starlines are medium bore, with a long shape that works well with some IEMs that may have shorter stems that are also too wide to fit a Final E tip.
I like KZ Starlines, but I don't like that they slide out easily with certain nozzles. I wish there was some sort of a notch on the interior of the stem like the Spiral Dots.

Speaking of Spiral Dots. Are the new Spiral Dots + narrower bore? I like the fit of Spiral Dots a lot, but I wish it was about 4.5mm bore diameter like the Symbio W. I find it a bit wider than I prefer in terms of sound performance.

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #711 of 3,241
I haven't noticed any problems with imaging. I can see considering the bores of the Sednas too wide, though, since they do have an impact on the sound. Good for IEMs that may be considered too dark, but for anything that's already neutral or bright, I would personally avoid them. But that's personal preference/variation.

Some tips I find can impact staging, particularly Spiral Dots. In that case, sometimes it's a positive impact and sometimes it's a negative impact. But again this may all depend on individual ear anatomy as well so ::shrug::

Exactly what im hearing. Sedna doing great for soundstage and imaging but they do bringing lower trebles up a little bit, and wide bore same with spiral dots, is tame mid bass a little bit while mids being the best with wide bore.
And yes the spiral dots tame harshness on high frequencies, sometimes can cut little bit details and energetic power on trebles, for very warm/dark/rolled off treble IEM can made them sounded dull and blurry soundstage

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #712 of 3,241
Exactly what im hearing. Sedna doing great for soundstage and imaging but they do bringing lower trebles up a little bit, and wide bore same with spiral dots, is tame sub bass a little bit while mids being the best with wide bore.
And yes the spiral dots tame harshness on high frequencies, sometimes can cut little bit details and energetic power on trebles, for very warm/dark/rolled off treble IEM can made them sounded dull and blurry soundstage

This is about as accurate an assessment as one could give on the differences between sedna and spiral dots, and really wide bores in general. Owning both sednas and spiral dots, in addition to a ton of other tips of various sizes and material, my experience is identical to the yours.

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #713 of 3,241
This is about as accurate an assessment as one could give on the differences between sedna and spiral dots, and really wide bores in general. Owning both sednas and spiral dots, in addition to a ton of other tips of various sizes and material, my experience is identical to the yours.

whoops, it supposed to be tame mid bass a little bit, not the sub bass, sorry

Feb 5, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #714 of 3,241
Azla SednaEarFit - Nothing like the Spiral Dot, despite the frequent comparisons. Tied with the Symbio W for best clarity and bass quality. Like the Symbio W, the Azla is very clean, precise, and tight. Soundstage is on the smaller side.

Symbio Peels - Best combination of clarity and tonal balance.

Symbio W - Similar to the Peels but denser and more 'closed' sounding, with tighter bass. Tied with the Azla Sedna for best clarity and bass quality, very tight and defined. Mids are pushed back somewhat compared the Peels.

SpinFit CP100 - Good clarity, but at the expense of tonal density. ie. Sound becomes much leaner and lighter. Tends towards a flatter, more two-dimensional soundstage. Good for warm/dark/bassy IEM's.

Acoustune AET07 - Very good clarity and and tonal balance as well. Lower frequences are moderately more emphasised than the Peels, which lends to a better sense of ambience. Slightly less treble than both the Symbios and Azla Sedna, but brighter than the rest on this list.

Spiral Dot - Mid-forward. Somewhat rolled-off treble. Tames mid-bass.

KZ Starline - 'Alright' tips. They don't do much wrong. Not much change to frequency response. Both the Acoustune and Symbios offer wider soundstages and much better clarity.

Final E - Meh. Generally darkens and thickens the sound, without significantly enhancing bass. Average soundstage.

Comply T-series - Ughh. The only IEM's I liked these with were the LZ A5, and only to tame the exaggerated treble. Poor comfort (itchy), poor durability, and sound is nothing to write home about. Significantly attenuates treble.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #715 of 3,241
Feb 5, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #716 of 3,241
I picked up some Flare foam tips to try with the EE Bravado, which for me works best with thin foams.

The Flares seems nice, but unfortunately, I seem to fall between sizes with them, at least on this IEM. The small does not provide a solid seal in one ear, and the medium is a bit too large to be ideal in both ears. (So a mix and match approach won't help here.)

Alas. But I will try wearing the mediums for a while and see if they break in a bit.

Feb 5, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #717 of 3,241
... I poked around on AE for a bit and found Anjirui has some large bore tips meant for 6.5-7.5mm nozzles. I've ordered those too.

10416714.jpg

10416711.jpg

With the delay on getting those foam tips I started poking around Amazon & eBay. I ended up coming across more large bore foam tips, listed for Jaybird BT earphones. They have a 5.4mm bore and are listed to fit 5.5-7.0mm diameter earphones. They fit on my 7.15mm Mavin Air-XR with no problem (with effort I managed to fit a 4.9mm bore T400, but high chance of damaging them).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0763J99H4/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-pair-Jay...-jaybird-freedom-2-ear-tips-foam/263638958081

I couldn't find them on AE except as M550/M550S from Misodiko or T55 from Moondrop.

s-l400.png

M550_M550S sizing.jpg

Edit, pic on my Mavin Air-XR:
10582846.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #719 of 3,241
What works best with the u18t?

It really depends what you're after and what you don't like about the stock tips.
I can't stand memory foam, so all my tips are silicone. I've had good results with Final Audio Type E and with Acoustune A07 and A08. But if you give people a bit of information on what is/isn't working and what you're trying to get from the sound (flatter response, more bass etc.) then you'll get a better answer than mine :)

Feb 6, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #720 of 3,241
It really depends what you're after and what you don't like about the stock tips.
I can't stand memory foam, so all my tips are silicone. I've had good results with Final Audio Type E and with Acoustune A07 and A08. But if you give people a bit of information on what is/isn't working and what you're trying to get from the sound (flatter response, more bass etc.) then you'll get a better answer than mine :)
I want clean, no bass emphasis, but I want it to fit the bore right. I just don't know where to start

Users who are viewing this thread

Back