Best IEM tips?
Feb 24, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #1,321 of 3,309
-How do the EarFit lights compare to the normal EarFits? I saw they were a lighter material which sounded interesting though wondering if the bore gets squished more easily too
-I did noticed people on Amazon suggesting dropping a size down for sedna xelastecs? Has that been your alls experience especially when compared to Final tip sizing?
I like the lights, and the core seems pretty much as rigid as with the regular Sednas. I like the regular length Earfit Lights best for the BL03 and BL01. I would drop down a size on the Xelastecs, but I’m personally not a fan of them.

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #1,322 of 3,309
I've fallen down the eartip rabbit hole a whee bit after trying to get my Blon BL01s to sound just right... So far I've tried Sony hybrids (love them on my IER-M9), Spinfits (found it helped bring up mids), and Final E tips (found it boosted the low end, and extended the high end). Oh and I absolutely loathe KZ starlines

-How do the EarFit lights compare to the normal EarFits? I saw they were a lighter material which sounded interesting though wondering if the bore gets squished more easily too
-I did noticed people on Amazon suggesting dropping a size down for sedna xelastecs? Has that been your alls experience especially when compared to Final tip sizing?

Thanks!
EarFit Lights are the most comfortable tips I've ever used, and no the bore doesn't appear to compress. I am "M" in some tips and like "MS" for these, but that's true for some other tips I use as well. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #1,323 of 3,309
Hi
I will appreciate it if you can give a brief comparison on the following IEMs. thanks for your help.

Main considerations for me is:
Value for money and something that is fun listening (not too sharp on highs).

I currently use Sennheiser momentum 2 headphones, RHA T20i, Bowers & Wilkins p5 wireless
I am mostly using these 3 with Audioquest Dragonfly black.
it is not possible for me to listen to any of the ones below, before buying.

List sorted from most to least preferred

1. Fiio FH7 (looks closest to my taste) - 550 $
2. Fisher amps rhapsody rapture - 500 $
3. Earsonics Velvet pro / Blade / ES3 -HR - 550 / 450 / 400 usd
4. Ultrasone IQ PRO - 400 $
5. Shanling ME700 - 440 $
6. Campfire audio IO - 300 $
7. Empire ears bravado - 630 $

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #1,325 of 3,309
I've fallen down the eartip rabbit hole a whee bit after trying to get my Blon BL01s to sound just right... So far I've tried Sony hybrids (love them on my IER-M9), Spinfits (found it helped bring up mids), and Final E tips (found it boosted the low end, and extended the high end). Oh and I absolutely loathe KZ starlines
Wait til you discover swapping filters... Nyahahaha.

Thanks!
The lights are the hardest one to match from what I have, right up there with Radius tips. I only have one pair of lights and they go with my BL03.
I find the lights to reduce bass while not adding detail (unlike the normal ones which do both). I much prefer regular ones to the light ones.

Consider the short ones as well. The regulars are fairly long and they can make the housing jut out a bit from your ear. The short ones have smaller bores, shorter distance, which together brings better bass (and smaller soundstage).

Xelastecs are finicky. If they get squished they can deform permanently. They also get affected by alcohol and other substances (I forgot!). And the sound is rather echoey/hollow for me, I really dislike the sound.

They're also really sticky and thus can be harder to slip inside the ear. This might give the impression that you need a smaller size, but I wouldn't recommend it. Just pull your ear a little bit when slipping it in. (This is compared to the regular Earfit. Compared to other models/brands, consult the size chart. I find that 12.5mm works best for me, and I use M.)

Hi
I will appreciate it if you can give a brief comparison on the following IEMs. thanks for your help.

Main considerations for me is:
Value for money and something that is fun listening (not too sharp on highs).

I currently use Sennheiser momentum 2 headphones, RHA T20i, Bowers & Wilkins p5 wireless
I am mostly using these 3 with Audioquest Dragonfly black.
it is not possible for me to listen to any of the ones below, before buying.

List sorted from most to least preferred

1. Fiio FH7 (looks closest to my taste) - 550 $
2. Fisher amps rhapsody rapture - 500 $
3. Earsonics Velvet pro / Blade / ES3 -HR - 550 / 450 / 400 usd
4. Ultrasone IQ PRO - 400 $
5. Shanling ME700 - 440 $
6. Campfire audio IO - 300 $
7. Empire ears bravado - 630 $
This is perhaps a question better suited for a different thread (or actually a different forum: as far as I know buying advice should be asked in the Beginner forum).

This thread is for eartips, not tips (advice) about IEMs. I can see how that title can be misleading, though...

That being said I agree with the FH3 recommendation AND another USB dongle. The dragonfly is going to hiss with IEMs, and the power is just so so. (Though you won't need a lot of power with the FH3 actually.)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #1,326 of 3,309
I like the lights, and the core seems pretty much as rigid as with the regular Sednas. I like the regular length Earfit Lights best for the BL03 and BL01. I would drop down a size on the Xelastecs, but I’m personally not a fan of them.
Thats good to know! The softer material intrigues me. What didnt you like about the xelastecs?
EarFit Lights are the most comfortable tips I've ever used, and no the bore doesn't appear to compress. I am "M" in some tips and like "MS" for these, but that's true for some other tips I use as well. Enjoy.
Awesome. Glad to get a second opinion on the bore and sizing as well.
Wait til you discover swapping filters... Nyahahaha.

The lights are the hardest one to match from what I have, right up there with Radius tips. I only have one pair of lights and they go with my BL03.
I find the lights to reduce bass while not adding detail (unlike the normal ones which do both). I much prefer regular ones to the light ones.

Consider the short ones as well. The regulars are fairly long and they can make the housing jut out a bit from your ear. The short ones have smaller bores, shorter distance, which together brings better bass (and smaller soundstage).

Xelastecs are finicky. If they get squished they can deform permanently. They also get affected by alcohol and other substances (I forgot!). And the sound is rather echoey/hollow for me, I really dislike the sound.

They're also really sticky and thus can be harder to slip inside the ear. This might give the impression that you need a smaller size, but I wouldn't recommend it. Just pull your ear a little bit when slipping it in. (This is compared to the regular Earfit. Compared to other models/brands, consult the size chart. I find that 12.5mm works best for me, and I use M.)
Oh gosh. I've already heard about filters and those little mesh disks. Just sounds like a huge pain. Thats interesting to hear about the shorts. I did assume that itd help with that bass resonance effect though I still really like my sound stage.

Huh thats good to know about xelastecs. I was really only at them as they sounded like a nice alternative to foams and crin uses them on his blessing 2 dusk. I did read you can reform them by boiling them though.

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,327 of 3,309
For folks who have used Symbio W , Symbio W Peel and Spiral Dots, can you please share what's the difference between them?

My assumption is that lower end should be more refined on W against Spiral Dots due to hybrid nature of W. I'm getting them for almost same price but unsure which one should I try as both are expensive for a pair of ear tips. Thanks in advance.

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #1,328 of 3,309
I agree. I use the SednaEarfitLights for my UM Mest and Blessing 2 Dusks because they both have very large bore sizes. I just got a z1r and the SednaEarfitLights Short work better with those IEMs. Same general fit. The bore size for the Z1R is 4.5mm so it's a perfect fit and slips right on no problem.

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #1,329 of 3,309
For folks who have used Symbio W , Symbio W Peel and Spiral Dots, can you please share what's the difference between them?

My assumption is that lower end should be more refined on W against Spiral Dots due to hybrid nature of W. I'm getting them for almost same price but unsure which one should I try as both are expensive for a pair of ear tips. Thanks in advance.
Where are you getting them? Get some me too :)

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #1,330 of 3,309
Feb 25, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #1,331 of 3,309
IMG_20210212_192015.jpg

Wonder how absurd these tips looks on IEMs as budget as this.

Nice treble extension though, seems to add it without messing anything else.

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #1,332 of 3,309
Thats good to know! The softer material intrigues me. What didnt you like about the xelastecs?
For me, Xelastecs seal so well that they either cause really bad driver flex, or the pressure builds up too much, and pulling on the top of my ear won’t alleviate the pressure, since it’s so form fitting. They also seem to boost the mid bass for me, which I generally don’t like, and they can sometimes make the treble sound splashy.

With the Sedna Earfits, I recommend using the short length tips for most IEMs, for reasons stated by @chifihead. With the BLONs though, because of their short nozzles, I recommend the regular length Earfits to effectively extend the nozzle length. The ear tips grip really well to the notch at the end of the BLON nozzles.

I think they should have the “short“ Earfits be the standard length Earfits, and the current regular length Earfits be “long” or “extended” Earfits. I also thinks it’s annoying that they charge more for the short tips.

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #1,333 of 3,309
Oh gosh. I've already heard about filters and those little mesh disks. Just sounds like a huge pain. Thats interesting to hear about the shorts. I did assume that itd help with that bass resonance effect though I still really like my sound stage.
The biggest pain is that unless the manufacturer sells their filter (like Moondrop does), you're unlikely to get the original filter back. So it has to be a pair you're willing to ruin, or a mod that you know would work.
Huh thats good to know about xelastecs. I was really only at them as they sounded like a nice alternative to foams and crin uses them on his blessing 2 dusk. I did read you can reform them by boiling them though.
Does the mid sounds full on the dusk? It makes sense if he's trying to thin out the mids. I use xelastec on my V90 for that purpose..

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #1,334 of 3,309
The biggest pain is that unless the manufacturer sells their filter (like Moondrop does), you're unlikely to get the original filter back. So it has to be a pair you're willing to ruin, or a mod that you know would work.

Does the mid sounds full on the dusk? It makes sense if he's trying to thin out the mids. I use xelastec on my V90 for that purpose..
That sounds a bit too high risk for me. Neat of Moondrop to sell extras. I've only considered it on my Etymotics since the filters are super easy to pop in/out (serve as replaceable wax guards).

I'm going with yes? He did tune the dusk to his liking and its pretty much exactly IEF neutral in the mids. From what I remember, he mentioned he did it for comfort which is really what had me intrigued.

Mar 4, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #1,335 of 3,309
20210304_154149.jpg

Big haul of tips, starting with 3 of them.

Sony EP-TC50
20210304_154445.jpg

20210304_154527.jpg

Starting with the boring part first, it is the same as the Triple-comfort tips that comes in the XBA-N3, my favorite silicone/foam hybrid tip out of the 2 I got (these and the Symbio W). Fit and sounds like a silicone tip, comfort and isolation like a softer foam tip. Price is around 1100-1500 jpy, which is around 12 usd for 2 pairs. Recommended if you want to try a silicone/foam hybrid tip, otherwise I still prefer silicone tips a lot more.
(they even have the XBA-N3 pictured in the package, 100% the same tips.)
20210304_160330.jpg

Elecom EHP-CAP20
20210304_155011.jpg

20210304_154923.jpg

Excellent tips, essentially the same sound as the Final Type E except that the bass quantity and quality are better on the Type E´s, while the upper mids (female vocals) are better on the CAP20. Makes the female vocals a bit more forward, while still reducing peaks like the Type E.

Works great for something like the Fiio FD5 and the Sony XBA-N3 where the bass is already very good and where the female vocals could be a bit more forward on some tracks.

This is tied as my favorite tips with the Type E´s, no brainer recommendation, they literally cost 440 jpy, which is around 4 usd, dirt cheap for 3 pairs of high-quality tips.

Radius Deep Mount
20210304_154742.jpg

20210304_154733.jpg

Opens up the treble even more than wide bore tips but also isn’t as peaky as those (like the Azla Sedna and JVC Spiral dots) and at the same time, tightens the bass more than them as well. Mids are similar to them, but is affected by the rest of the sound, so they sound cleaner and a bit brighter in tonality.

Game changer for something like the Blon BL-03, this fits better than Azla tips AND sounds better.

Although they are not good for already bright iems. Highly recommended for everything else, price is 1070 jpy which is around 10 usd for 3 pairs. Very good price.

My current tip recommendations are:

1. Final Type E
2. Elecom EHP-CAP20
3. Radius Deep Mount

The CAP20 tips are like a mix between the Type E bass and the Deep Mount treble, very well balanced. For those that want more bass the Type E will be better and for those that want more treble the Deep Mount will be better.

All 3 of them reduce treble peaks more than other tips. And even the Deep Mount tips does that even though it has more treble quantity/is brighter than other wide-bore tips that do get a bit peaky.

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back