Best IEM tips?
Dec 11, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #1,096 of 3,292
Heh, well, I just reviewed the $69 iBasso IT00.
For those that might be interested, you may read it on Head-Fi at the following location:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-it00.24516/review/24899/

The real eye-opener - and related to this thread's topic - was the HUGE difference that tips made.
More so than I've found with other IEMs.
I started out with New Bee foam tips and moved to Sedna Xelastec, and the difference was very strong.
It actually moved the review from a circa 3 star review up to a solid 4 stars :)

Dec 11, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #1,098 of 3,292
I have never tried foams except the stock TRI I3.

I ordered Newbee and Tennnak Ultra Strong.

Do they have good durability? Do they kill treble a lot?

With the stock foam of the TRI I3 I noticed that by cutting a piece of it and reducing it in size it sounds better, with more treble.

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #1,099 of 3,292
I just got a pair of Spin Fit cp240 double flange ear tips. They are fantastic. Finally ear tips that seal as well as foams.

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #1,100 of 3,292
DSCF0007.JPG

Stocked up on my fav tips. Always a worry that these will become unavailable considering Ortofon discontinued their earphones years ago, though according to their support "stock will be maintained as long as there is demand".

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #1,101 of 3,292
DSCF0007.JPG

Stocked up on my fav tips. Always a worry that these will become unavailable considering Ortofon discontinued their earphones years ago, though according to their support "stock will be maintained as long as there is demand".

I've only ever heard of Ortofon phono cartridges - never knew they made earphones. :nerd:

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #1,103 of 3,292
Hey, I'm considering Comply truefit pro, Symbio w (or Symbio f with slow recover foam), or Spinfit cp360. Anyone have experience with any of them or can provide basic feedback when it comes to comfort?

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #1,104 of 3,292
I've only ever heard of Ortofon phono cartridges - never knew they made earphones. :nerd:
Indeed, I believe they were only ever largely marketed in Japan. Then word got around about how soft/supple their tips were compared to anything else and they've been my go-to since. Also as is tradition, have to mention their L size is what you want if you're M for most other tips.

Dec 12, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #1,105 of 3,292
Hey, I'm considering Comply truefit pro, Symbio w (or Symbio f with slow recover foam), or Spinfit cp360. Anyone have experience with any of them or can provide basic feedback when it comes to comfort?
I have both the Symbio w and f. The Symbio w are okay. But, they hurt my ears after a while since they are so stiff. The Symbio f are good foam tips. Good seal. They do darken the sound signature a bit, but the seal is very good for me. My favorite as I mentioned earlier are the Spinfit cp240. Much cleaner sound while maintaining a good seal and therefore good bass. The only thing I don't like about the Symbiof is that they are not that durable. You will need to replace them pretty frequently.

Dec 12, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #1,106 of 3,292
I have both the Symbio w and f. The Symbio w are okay. But, they hurt my ears after a while since they are so stiff. The Symbio f are good foam tips. Good seal. They do darken the sound signature a bit, but the seal is very good for me. My favorite as I mentioned earlier are the Spinfit cp240. Much cleaner sound while maintaining a good seal and therefore good bass. The only thing I don't like about the Symbiof is that they are not that durable. You will need to replace them pretty frequently.

Well, that's not a good sign for symbio w. I could try f.

How is the Spinfit quality/comfort? Double flange might not work for me so I would have to get the cp360, but comfort might be same material probably

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #1,107 of 3,292
Have tried so many tips I'm pretty sure all of them combined could have afforded me some nice IEMs, and thus far the one tips I'm always coming back to is Spinfit, not just for comfort but the fact that it's the only tips that do vocals justice in most IEMs (with one case where it doesn't work) and natural sounding female vocals (as in not just upper mid but the whole supporting frequencies) are my jam.

Only problem is they usually don't seal that well (CP500 line especially bad) and the double flange one kinda inserts too deep for my taste. Fortunately the fix is pretty simple, just put in a donut-shaped earbud foam between the stems (think symbio), this will instantly improves isolation which means better bass while not drastically killing the treble like with foam mod insert. This will likely work with any tips not just spinfit and I found that using tips one size bigger than your usual preferences help (so use L if you usually use M), if you have some spare donut foam lying around, give this a try.

Dec 12, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #1,108 of 3,292
Have received my BGVP tips. So far have had play time with W01 on my Smabat NCO. They're extremely comfortable and perfect for IEMs with small nozzles like BL03. They're cheap JVC Spiral Dots alternative IMO. Very similar in sound presentation. Opens up soundstage and livens up upper mids. Will share my impressions on other tips as I spend more time with them. IMO these tips are great cheap alternatives to have in tips armoury. Can fit multiple IEMs and are extremely light on the wallet.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #1,110 of 3,292
Does anyone know about the importance of stem stiffness?
stiffer stem grip the nozzle better, doesn't slip off easily,
there are dual density tips, stiff stem but also soft outer flange for comfort.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back