Best IEM tips?
Mar 25, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #3,151 of 3,246
Any chance they appeared to suck out treble because the bass was enhanced by a better than usual seal therefore masking the treble ?
Could be. But it amounts to the same thing. Whether you boost the bass or cut everything except the bass, the end result is the same. Like EQ, it's about how the entire audible frequency range is balanced.

I think often people hear differences because they expect them not because they are there or for reasons related to the seal being different.
Expectation bias cuts both ways. If you don't expect to hear a difference, you likely won't. That's why I find arguments about expectation bias unpersuasive (or at least not useful). I'm much more of an empiricist when it comes to audio. If I hear a difference, then I hear a difference. If I don't, I don't. Much simpler that way.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #3,152 of 3,246
Could be. But it amounts to the same thing. Whether you boost the bass or cut everything except the bass, the end result is the same. Like EQ, it's about how the entire audible frequency range is balanced.

Expectation bias cuts both ways. If you don't expect to hear a difference, you likely won't. That's why I find arguments about expectation bias unpersuasive (or at least not useful). I'm much more of an empiricist when it comes to audio. If I hear a difference, then I hear a difference. If I don't, I don't. Much simpler that way.

Item 1. Not really. If you want to specifically reduce sharp treble you don't boost the bass to mask it you reduce the treble. What I was meaning with the tips is quite different to EQ. You may have perceived a reduction in treble if in fact the bass was lifted a little due to a really effective seal. I am not trying to argue with you, I thought another opinion might be helpful.

Item 2. Not necessarily, I have heard significant differences with tips that I would never have expected to make any difference because they are similar to something else I have already tried. I expected nothing but got something. I understand that biases are not easy to control and it can be hard to assess when we might be effected by biases or expectations. However, I like, as best I can, to understand anything that I am interested in and I want to know if something I am hearing is real or only in my head. I have no interest in buying gear or accessories only to imagine a difference rather than there actually being one technically.

Anyway, i didn't post to argue you with you so i will leave my opinion at that.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #3,153 of 3,246
Anyway, i didn't post to argue you with you so i will leave my opinion at that.
No worries. I didn't think you were arguing.

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #3,155 of 3,246
Mar 30, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #3,157 of 3,246
Apr 2, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #3,159 of 3,246
Got myself some new widebores from Taobao - Oriolus eartips, TFZ T01 & Ice Clear eartips. My impressions:
  • Oriolus: Stiff af but they sound sooo good. Instruments that are usually from the sides are pushed more to the front, similar to Dunu S&S. Warmth is reduced but the treble and mids are presented so nicely, you gotta try them to know. These are better than Divinus Velvet!!
  • TFZ: dimensions are very close to Tangzu Sangcai widebores and they sound like them too. Goofy ahh looking tips tho LMAO
  • ICE Clear: Fit is similar to Feaulle H570 but it feels very plasticky. There's less bass but it has one of the widest and tallest soundstage I've heard thus far.
1000047801.jpg
1000047802.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #3,160 of 3,246
Can anyone say anything about a comparison between the current AZLA (SednaEarfit, Crystals etc.) and the new ORIGIN?
The ORIGIN is my current favorite out of all the AZLA models, but I am someone who prefers my eartips to have as ling of a stem as possible. These have the same long stem length as the original SednaEarfit. While the opening that faces your ear seems about the same diameter, the end of the stem that attaches to your IEM nozzle is significantly narrower, meaning a much tighter fit on your IEM. For reference, these are the only tips that work for me with the 7Hz ZERO:2, as those IEMs have a very short nozzle. The diameter of the opening on the ORIGIN is juuuust big enough to be able to squeeze onto those nozzles, and there is no way they will accidentally fall off.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #3,161 of 3,246
The ORIGIN is my current favorite out of all the AZLA models, but I am someone who prefers my eartips to have as ling of a stem as possible. These have the same long stem length as the original SednaEarfit. While the opening that faces your ear seems about the same diameter, the end of the stem that attaches to your IEM nozzle is significantly narrower, meaning a much tighter fit on your IEM. For reference, these are the only tips that work for me with the 7Hz ZERO:2, as those IEMs have a very short nozzle. The diameter of the opening on the ORIGIN is juuuust big enough to be able to squeeze onto those nozzles, and there is no way they will accidentally fall off.
Thank you for the impressions, what interests me more are the differences in sound.

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #3,162 of 3,246
Got myself some new widebores from Taobao - Oriolus eartips, TFZ T01 & Ice Clear eartips. My impressions:
  • Oriolus: Stiff af but they sound sooo good. Instruments that are usually from the sides are pushed more to the front, similar to Dunu S&S. Warmth is reduced but the treble and mids are presented so nicely, you gotta try them to know. These are better than Divinus Velvet!!
  • TFZ: dimensions are very close to Tangzu Sangcai widebores and they sound like them too. Goofy ahh looking tips tho LMAO
  • ICE Clear: Fit is similar to Feaulle H570 but it feels very plasticky. There's less bass but it has one of the widest and tallest soundstage I've heard thus far.
1000047801.jpg1000047802.jpg
Those tfz tips look hilarious 😭

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #3,163 of 3,246
I'm using the PS pulse explore for gaming FPS here. Any chance anyone can recommend any earbud tips for the best soundstage and imaging? I was suggested Spinfit Omni here. Any suggestions would be appreciated thank you!

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #3,164 of 3,246
I'm using the PS pulse explore for gaming FPS here. Any chance anyone can recommend any earbud tips for the best soundstage and imaging? I was suggested Spinfit Omni here. Any suggestions would be appreciated thank you!
In my (admittedly brief) experience, impossible to know in advance. More than any other aspect of IEM tweaking/tuning, tips have everything to do with your own particular ear physiology. Nothing to do but experiment for yourself.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #3,165 of 3,246
Anyone have experience with taming some treble harshness using tips?
I'm trying to find the best tips to smack the treble a bit since my Project M is ever so slightly sibilant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back