Best home studio monitor headphones around 150$?
Jan 19, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #91 of 101
Quote:
I won't be using the AKG K240DF, they were just borrowed for a few days. And since the response should be as flat as possible (I don't know what you mean by transparent) isn't almost no bass equally as bad as too much bass? Could the lack of bass on the K240DF be because I wan't using an amp, or does it just boost the volume? And would DACs (such as a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 or Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6) be a replacemnt for an amp? Or do DACs not have amps and you have to use an amp anyway? I really don't want something that's bad for me, I'm just confused because this guy from the studio uses the DT-770 (along with the K240DF), another guy that was online on a chat on a online music store told be the Beyer DT-770 Pro are best monitoring headphones under 200€, Stephen Swartz (a great but not too famous producer) uses them while sometimes switching to monitors... I'm not saying that I believe the other guys that tell me the DT-770 or that Stephen Swartz's suggestion (I chatted with him) would make me choose the DT-770, but this stuff just confuses me. I really want the best I can get for monitoring/mixing/mastering purposes in this price range.

This graph shows flat FR, try to get some hps headphones with a similar graph that are not over emphasize the bass. You can try the K-240MKII @ 55 Ohms at guitar center. I don't know the KRK, or the Sure hps, but you probably can compare them as well at your local music store. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #92 of 101
I can imagine the dt-770's would do fairly well for monitoring. I think they might be a bit bass heavy, though.
A DAC cannot be used instead or as an amp unless it has a built in amp.

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #93 of 101
Quote:
I can imagine the dt-770's would do fairly well for monitoring. I think they might be a bit bass heavy, though.
A DAC cannot be used instead or as an amp unless it has a built in amp.

Oh my god so many things to buy! :D And are built-in amps common in dacs? Yeah I heard that they're bass heavy but also that the 250Ohm version is much flatter than the lower impedance versions.

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #94 of 101
Quote:

This graph shows flat FR, try to get some hps headphones with a similar graph that are not over emphasize the bass. You can try the K-240MKII @ 55 Ohms at guitar center. I don't know the KRK, or the Sure hps, but you probably can compare them as well at your local music store. 

Problem is there are no local shops for studio audio equipment (or guitar centers with good headphones) here in Lučenec (Slovakia), the nearest one with all sorts of studio stuff is 150km from my town...From what headphones is that EQ? And it's hard to search for headphones by the frequency response graph, because you usually have to know the name, that's why I posted my question here for people that actually know them. I am open to all suggestions.

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #95 of 101
Quote:
Problem is there are no local shops for studio audio equipment (or guitar centers with good headphones), the nearest one with all sorts of studio stuff is 150km from my town...From what headphones is that EQ? And it's hard to search for headphones by the frequency response graph, because you usually have to know the name, that's why I posted my question here for people that actually know them. I am open to all suggestions.

The FR belong to the Pioneer monitor 10 (vintage). Will be better to try some hps models in the shop just to get the feel before you buy. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #96 of 101
Amp before DAC. A pure DAC has no amp, but there are a lot of combined DAC/amps. For the dt-770 250 ohm you do need an amp to drive them satisfactorily

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #97 of 101
Quote:
Amp before DAC. A pure DAC has no amp, but there are a lot of combined DAC/amps. For the dt-770 250 ohm you do need an amp to drive them satisfactorily

I run these K240DFs from my laptop jack and the volume is barely listenable. I have to bump everything to 100% and I still feel that I would be more comfortable with 130% or so.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #98 of 101
Without a proper amp what you hear from that K240 is probably not accurate to what it's supposed to sound like. 
Also, I know that this has been properly covered now but I would just like to confirm that the M50 is NOT for studio monitoring. I own a pair, and recently my monitoring headphones went bust. So now I'm stuck with these until I get a new pair. And I can't recommend it, at all. Also, uncomfortable when you sit down for long sessions.

I dunno about most headphones mentioned in this thread, I'm looking for a new pair (as I just mentioned previously) myself too, so it's been an interesting read. Although my budget is a bit higher (€300, max €400)

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #99 of 101
Quote:
Without a proper amp what you hear from that K240 is probably not accurate to what it's supposed to sound like. 
Also, I know that this has been properly covered now but I would just like to confirm that the M50 is NOT for studio monitoring. I own a pair, and recently my monitoring headphones went bust. So now I'm stuck with these until I get a new pair. And I can't recommend it, at all. Also, uncomfortable when you sit down for long sessions.

I dunno about most headphones mentioned in this thread, I'm looking for a new pair (as I just mentioned previously) myself too, so it's been an interesting read. Although my budget is a bit higher (€300, max €400)

I wonder how the HE-400 would do for monitoring... Probably not that well.
I think you should get the dt-880. Not the most 'fun' headphone, but im positive they would do well for monitoring.

What kind of amp/dac do you have?

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #100 of 101
I have a Cakewalk UA-1G that powers my headphones decently but its USB bus powered. I also own the K240 mk1, and those headphones seem (by my ears) to be tuned for acoustic instruments over synthesized bass; BUT if I power them through anything other then my headphone amp I know I'm missing most of their magic. Also they are harder to drive then my DT-770 80ohm.

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #101 of 101
I just seen a Audio Techinca A900  going for $129 used in a buy now on ebay just now, But I doubt it be there for long as I sure some one is gonna snatch it after I post.  I use my A900X for music creation and it does a good job, Yea I know the A900 and the A900X is not the same headphone.Also  I have used the DT880 pro-250 too for the same purpose when I had them, they worked very good to me. But don't run the DT880 pro-250 unampped because that's a no no.  One of the reason why I mentioned the A900 other then the price I see them going for, is that they work very good without a hp amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back