Best home studio monitor headphones around 150$?
Jan 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #61 of 101
The shures will sound better but they are twice the price of the Q40... I would say the Q40 are good for the money but not amazing sounding overall. I would say I prefer the CAL! at the same price.

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #62 of 101
Quote:
The shures will sound better but they are twice the price of the Q40... I would say the Q40 are good for the money but not amazing sounding overall. I would say I prefer the CAL! at the same price.

I'm a little confused, because in my country:
Shure SRH840 - 150€ (198$)
M-Audio Q40 - 120€ (159$)
Creative Aurvana Live! - 45€ (60$)
The Q40 are around the same price as the SRH840, but almost 3x as much as CAL!

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #63 of 101
Quote:
I can get them new for 110€ (145$), but those are open, aren't they? Are there any pros or cons of using them against closed? I like that closed ones isolate, because when I produce, I wanna be in my own world and not listen to some stupid yelling in my house.

The K-240 are semi-open, circumaural design. http://www.zzounds.com/item--AKGK240STU. I hope they're not yelling to loud.

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #64 of 101
If the CAL are really 45 euros then buy them now tbh. They are arguably better sounding than most of the ones mentioned in this thread. Save yourself some money towards some that are in the next price bracket £200-£300.

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #65 of 101
Quote:
If the CAL are really 45 euros then buy them now tbh. They are arguably better sounding than most of the ones mentioned in this thread. Save yourself some money towards some that are in the next price bracket £200-£300.

But CAL for studio monitoring? They're not even meant for monitoring purposes...

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #66 of 101
Quote:

The K-240 are semi-open, circumaural design. http://www.zzounds.com/item--AKGK240STU. I hope they're not yelling to loud.

I don't know what circumaural means, but are they full-size over-ear? And I wanted closed-back more, because since there are no cons to using them over open/semi-open (as I was told here), I can also hear music while recording with a mic (that I will get after I'll get an audio interface)...that's called tracking, right?

[offtopic]Pretty darn loud when my sister's at home.[/offtopic]

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #67 of 101
Quote:
But CAL for studio monitoring? They're not even meant for monitoring purposes...

I thought he said he wanted them for general purpose. Meh im confused and cannot be bothered to read whole thread.

For cheap fun sounding good sound = CAL!
For accurate studio monitoring with uber detail good all rounder bit boring sounding = 840
Cheap and good but not great = Q40

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #69 of 101
And the KRK KNS8400s are pretty close to the Shures, right? How close? And why do people say that the KRKs don't have strong bass? Based on the frequency response graph, they have the most bass of the headphones mentioned here.
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2941&graphID[]=913&graphID[]=2901&graphID[]=2961
Or are the graphs non-trustworthy?
I just really hate that the Shure's have the exposed cable, like a said a million times here. If the cable was inside like in te M50 and KNS8400, I had to just try them out somewhere to know if they are comfortable and if yes then buy them. If they won't be comfortable, I need and alternative and I need to know how much will I give up.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #70 of 101
Well the design of the cable is actually better designed than the M50, it puts less stress on it. its similar to Beyer 990/770 in that respect. its not going anywhere since its never really touched anyway. unless you get it caught... and i don't see how that is even possible. you have nothing to worry about.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #71 of 101
Quote:
And the KRK KNS8400s are pretty close to the Shures, right? How close? And why do people say that the KRKs don't have strong bass? Based on the frequency response graph, they have the most bass of the headphones mentioned here.
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2941&graphID[]=913&graphID[]=2901&graphID[]=2961
I just really hate that the Shure's have the exposed cable, like a said a million times here. If the cable was inside like in te M50 and KNS8400, I had to just try them out somewhere to know if they are comfortable and if yes then buy them. If they won't be comfortable, I need and alternative and I need to know how much will I give up.

Frequency graphs don't tell the whole picture. I assure you the Shures have stronger bass than the KNS8400.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #72 of 101
Quote:
Frequency graphs don't tell the whole picture. I assure you the Shures have stronger bass than the KNS8400.

+1

Trust your ears, not graphs.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #74 of 101
Quote:

You generally don't want something bass heavy for monitoring. DT770s are technically "studio" headphones, but a lot of pros aren't going to use them because they have a lot of bass but are lacking in the mids. KRKs aren't going to have thumping bass, but they are going to be the best for actual monitoring. Comfort may be a bit of an issue. I feel like they are akin to the Sony MDR series. Not very comfortable, but they are not meant to be. They are workhorses. 

One question I do have that could affect these recommendations is why are you driving the headphones from your laptop? I understand that you are making electronic music, but are you just doing that in garage band or a similar program? Or do you have a separate keyboard/synth setup? Do you have actual studio equipment?

If you are just making music for yourself and your friends to listen to, then you honestly probably don't want a monitoring headphone, because they aren't much fun to listen to. If you are producing music to sell or something, thats one thing, but if not I think you might find that a traditional bass-heavy, non-studio can may be a lot better for you. You can still make the music you want, but when you play it back it will be a lot more enjoyable. Just a thought! If you want other suggestions, let us know!

Jan 5, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #75 of 101
Quote:
I don't know what circumaural means, but are they full-size over-ear? And I wanted closed-back more, because since there are no cons to using them over open/semi-open (as I was told here), I can also hear music while recording with a mic (that I will get after I'll get an audio interface)...that's called tracking, right?

[offtopic]Pretty darn loud when my sister's at home.[/offtopic]

The K240 are design that no music will leak out from your hps into the vocal mic. I think you should go some music shops and start trying out the hps that they have to offer, this way you'll have a better understanding and experience of your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back