Best home listening experience...
Sep 11, 2011 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

tracylynn MkII

Head-Fier
...up to £250? (Up to $400 really)

I currently own 2 fotm's (Goldring 150's and Superlux 662B), fine, one open, one closed, and I thought they were great. Recently however, I have started becoming more critical of my music and might just focus on one particular instrument through an entire song, and critique how it sounds, where it is coming from and what could be improved. This came to a head when I compared them with my father's Senn 580's. What a difference! Instead of the singer being right in front of my face and smothering, he was further back, and the 3D projection of instruments changed from them sounding as if they were simply coming from my right and left to in front of me, either side of the singer.

I'm not saying I want another pair of senn's for myself, but I'd like to be able to appreciate my music this much more, where guitar strings have a special twang to them and are not merely an afterthought.

Both my 'phones have only cost me c. £50, and I was hoping to get something on the same level or greater than the 580's/600's with a large soundstage, good mids/vocals and an "enjoyable" sound that brings a smile to your face like those senn's did mine. I know that's not a great way of putting things, but I guess I'll just say I want beautiful clarity but not a pair of purely analytical headphones either.

Oh and they need to be very comfy too. For example a pair of Grado's are unbearable for me to wear.

My musical taste is fairly ecclectic, ranging from Beatles, to Southern folk and country to techno, but the most important thing for me is the vocals and guitar and obviously nice bass but it doesn't need to be pounding.

I hope you can help me find an all-round contender, as I had been looking at the Denon AH-D2000's, but I don't want heavy rock or metal cans that may make softer vocals an afterthought.

Thanks,

Jens

Users who are viewing this thread

Back