Best headphons for under £100 - Help.
Feb 28, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #47 of 61
I know what your saying. The DT660s were bought over a year ago as ex-demo and have hundreds of hours of burn in. And the RX700s have around 40-50 hr burn-in.
Dont get me wrong i love my Beyer's ........... but i think i like the JVCs more.
And i recon i will love the CALs even more so.

Maybe i am missing something. .......... I dont know.
frown.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #48 of 61
It's just down to taste.  You are probably like me and prefer a fuller, punchy and impactful sound, my Senns didn't do this either. 

I'm not much of a believer in burn-in improving bass response.  Mechanically it makes sense to me it could improve the top end if they are somewhat sharp or sibilant to begin with, but the bass side should only become more flabby..not punchy as some people describe.

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #49 of 61
Consider some AKG K240s/mkII/(K242HD) ... well all of the K24x 55ohm versions are quite great for their price tag and feature the famous AKG mids.

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #50 of 61
The following may be a real contender:

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/klipsch-image-one.php

It is within your price point and is receiving great reviews. They even look nice and have a mic control. You may really enjoy the Klipsh sound. I enjoy the sound of their monitors and 2.1 units. 

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #51 of 61
Well i got given my CALs this morning.

I spent little time testing, i will do a lot more tonight. And from what i heard i think they are fantastic. My #1 cans now fttb.

I tested with Dead Space 2, Linking Park - Burning in the skies, and some of 5.1 surround remastered War of the Worlds.

And all i could think when testing is how fluid they are. Bass is deep and natural, Mids sound smooth, and the Highs are sweet without being too piercing. It all just sounds lovely and clear. To me they are a lot more dynamic than my other 2 cans i have.

And i reckon they will improve a lot more with time.

beerchug.gif
Cheers guys.

Mar 2, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #52 of 61
Happy days
beyersmile.png
 I thought u might like them.

I played the Dead Space 2 demo on the PS3 last night, rather impressed!

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #53 of 61
I think the only thing thats lets down the cans is the thin and flimsy wires.

Yeah you cant beat a bit of Dead Space.
cool.gif

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #54 of 61
You can mod the wires, tempted to have a go myself.  There are threads here on how to do it.

Mar 5, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #55 of 61

I found the Aurvana sounding quite impressive myself, it's got big sound from a little package.

If you think the stock cable is Flimsy, wait until you de-solder the thread thin wires from the drivers!
It's literally a 5cent cable, why couldn't they spend another 5cents for a better one? Perhaps to keep it as a "low budget sound"

I found the thread on recabling Denon d1001 and thought hmm maybe I can do that! I ordered the Mogami 2893 miniquad wire and Switchcraft 3.5mm jack, bought some heatshrink locally, borrowed a buddy's 35W Weller soldering Iron for the job.
It wasn't a difficult job... but I made a few mistakes..like soldering the drivers outside the earcups, pulling wires before heatshrinking them... etc. :) They were just silly mistakes... more learning experiences than mistakes.... lol

They do sound great recabled! I found the Bass to be boomy before.. now it's slamming and Tight, there's more extension to the frequency range as well.  Well worth the effort!

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #56 of 61
A few years ago I was testing some CAL and they definitely had nice sound for the price.  Just remember that regardless of what headphone you go with they need a few things prior to making your final decision about them.  This especially included Grado and Sennheiser headphones.

1.)  100 Hours of burn in with bass not pink noise
      Why:  It flexes the transducers and diaphragm

2.)  Adequate amplification
     Why: Without fresh or adequate amplification you often cannot extract everything out of the headphone

3.)  An excellent source
     Why:  Unless you are listening to a ton of analog you will have to do some DAC, this transfer of data is key to feeding your headphones the cleanest and most accurate sound possible

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #57 of 61
Thanks vpsporb, I'm definitely tempted to give it a go.  I'm an experienced solderer so no qualms about doing it, interested to see just how much difference it could make to the sound.

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #58 of 61

An experienced solderer huh? gimme sum o those skillz!  :)   A walk in the park for you then.

I do believe that using professional mic. cable over the flimsy stock one, will allow the Aurvana's to sound their Best.
If not... just getting rid of the rubber-coated sticky stock cable, that manages to tie itself into self sticking knots.. will be a blessing all on it's own!

Dang, those are homemade speakers in your dp? Sick!  i'm impressed.

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #59 of 61
Yeah, the cable isn't the best is it.  I kinda like the idea of cable with a material outer sheath.

Thanks! Those are indeed homemade, they were my final year project at Uni.  My tutors suggested I try and produce them, never had the money or the room but I would like to in the future.  I should really add a better picture of them, rather than with the delightful upholstery of my student accommodation
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back