Best headphons for under £100 - Help.
Feb 19, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #31 of 61
Ill keep you guys posted about the CALs. Although it wont be for a week or so as thats when its my Bday. Maybe the missus will let me have them sooner.
wink.gif

It was a toss up between the JVC HA-RX900, Denon 1100, and off course the CALs. And the latter won out. I wish i could have listerned to them but i wouldnt have time.

Cheers guys.
beerchug.gif

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #32 of 61
To confuse me further I've been looking at the Fischer Audio FA-004.  This looks like a very nice can indeed, seems to have a good rep here too.

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #33 of 61

Quote:
Ill keep you guys posted about the CALs. Although it wont be for a week or so as thats when its my Bday. Maybe the missus will let me have them sooner.
wink.gif

It was a toss up between the JVC HA-RX900, Denon 1100, and off course the CALs. And the latter won out. I wish i could have listerned to them but i wouldnt have time.

Cheers guys.
beerchug.gif

Consider yourself a lucky man that the JVC's didn't win out.

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #34 of 61
Well decided to get the CAL's.  Should be here in a few days, I'll post here what I think of them.

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #35 of 61

Quote:
Well decided to get the CAL's.  Should be here in a few days, I'll post here what I think of them.

Thats great. I dont think we'll be dissapointed though.
beerchug.gif

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #36 of 61
CAL's turned up today.  Got them on my head now and my first impression is.....spot on!  This is much more like the sound I was after,  Guitars smack you in the guts which is how I like it.  Bass is nice and low, I've had to drop the bass down on the EQ (had it pumped up to try and get the most out of the H555's).  Treble comes through nice and clear, not too bright and no sibilance I can detect so far.  Listening to Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream and it sounds lush through these, real full and warm sounding.  The guitars have a real nice deep bite and attack to them, anyone who is familiar with this album will know what they should sound like  The Senns were too thin for me, guitars too far back and didn't drive the sound. 

Tool, Korn, NIN all sound great on a quick listen....trying to detect and flabbiness with the bass on Tool...perhaps could be faster.

Listening to some Leftfeild and Tiesto, sounds so much better through these...the bass parts were just lost on the Senns.

The only thing I think I may miss with the Senns is the sound-stage when playing games.  I play the Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Vietnam and they have fantastic sound.  The Senns give you a real sense of depth when you hear someone walking nearby.  However, due to their lack of base, other aspects are not so great.  I tried my IEM's in Vietnam and flying the chopper is a different experience....you can really feel the chopper blades rotating, the Senns don't give you this.  I'm hoping the CAL's will give me both...we shall see. 
atsmile.gif

I think you are going to like these.  Will be interesting to see how you compare them to the JVC's

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #37 of 61

Never mind. ......... I should look b4 posting.

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #39 of 61

Quote:
CAL's turned up today.  Got them on my head now and my first impression is.....spot on!  This is much more like the sound I was after,  Guitars smack you in the guts which is how I like it.  Bass is nice and low, I've had to drop the bass down on the EQ (had it pumped up to try and get the most out of the H555's).  Treble comes through nice and clear, not too bright and no sibilance I can detect so far.  Listening to Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream and it sounds lush through these, real full and warm sounding.  The guitars have a real nice deep bite and attack to them, anyone who is familiar with this album will know what they should sound like  The Senns were too thin for me, guitars too far back and didn't drive the sound. 

Tool, Korn, NIN all sound great on a quick listen....trying to detect and flabbiness with the bass on Tool...perhaps could be faster.

Listening to some Leftfeild and Tiesto, sounds so much better through these...the bass parts were just lost on the Senns.

The only thing I think I may miss with the Senns is the sound-stage when playing games.  I play the Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Vietnam and they have fantastic sound.  The Senns give you a real sense of depth when you hear someone walking nearby.  However, due to their lack of base, other aspects are not so great.  I tried my IEM's in Vietnam and flying the chopper is a different experience....you can really feel the chopper blades rotating, the Senns don't give you this.  I'm hoping the CAL's will give me both...we shall see. 
atsmile.gif

I think you are going to like these.  Will be interesting to see how you compare them to the JVC's

WOW. Great review.
smile.gif

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #40 of 61

Quote:
?? What you mean?

Yeah.Posted about  what you thought about the CALs. I couldnt wait. And as soon as i did i saw your post.
redface.gif
............ I thought oh bugger. Lol.  Serve me right for not checking proply.

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #41 of 61
Lol, never mind. 

Hurry up and get yours I would like to see what you think of them!  I'm sitting here comparing them to the Brainwavz ProAlpha's......very similar.  Of course there are differences you would expect - bigger soundstage with the CAL, but the overall sound is very similar indeed.  If you like the CAL's and want a cheap IEM I highly recommend the ProAlpha.

Oh and they are great for gaming!  Explosions are far more impactful...you can really feel them.  Maybe you don't quite get the sense of depth as with the Senns...difficult to say for sure now as they are sold and I can't directly compare.

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #42 of 61
Would a splitter be any good for reviewing 2 cans at once. Or would it influence the sound.? ( Its a cheap one from a 99p shop.) Me and my Son use one when we're gaming and movie watching.

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #43 of 61
Well you can still only listen to one set at a time...unless you have 2 sets of ears?
tongue_smile.gif
  I guess it will work but it may depend what your using to drive them....2 sets of cans may require too much power from a soundcard direct.  Give it a try, if you have plenty of headroom with volume at the moment I guess it should be fine.

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #44 of 61
Turns out i wont get my CALs untill Wednesday.

Side note. My 12 yr old Son prefers the RX700s over the DT660s, he says they just sound clearer and that the 660s sound too muffled. I am inclind to agree.

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #45 of 61
ATH-M50 straight cable burned in for 30 hours are my favorite in that price range. If you would like a really fun can the Grado SR-80i is another great sounding phone in your price range. Both of these headphones sound 60% better through some sort of clean amplification.

The Sennheiser HD-280 pro used to be the king of reference at this price point, but durability really became an issue along with problems with harmonic generation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back