Best headphons for under £100 - Help.
Feb 17, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #17 of 61
From what I've read I agree, Denon AH D1100, £88.75 @ Amazon at moment! 

And for bashing Creative products having never heard them...well tut tut.

A suggested read is Jokers thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-67-portable-headphones-reviewed-beats-by-dre-solo-v-moda-crossfade-added-02-13

If there is an opinion I trust it's his.  Bought the Brainwavz proalphas based on his IEM thread and think they're great.  Actually they are the reason I don't like the HD555's any more!

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #18 of 61
Ive gone back to my DT660s from the JVCs and i am starting to get confused. Now i am far from expert and each are great in my book. The JVCs sound brighter? with punchier bass, and the DT660s more natural with less bass. ......... Truth be told i think id just like a new set i can use when i am bored with my Beyers. Dose any of that make sense??
confused_face.gif

As for an Amp, i have a Essence STX knocking around. But i never increased the gain on my 32olms DT660s, as i thought it didnt need it. So if i took out my Titan HD and put in the STX and raised the gain past 64olms you guys recon my Beyers would sound even better? I wont damage them doing so will i?

Cheers guys.
smile.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #19 of 61
Yeah i do like the sound of these (no pun intended
biggrin.gif
).

(B3) Creative Aurvana Live!: A true circumaural headphone, the portability of the CAL! may be questionable but the sound produced by the OEM Foster drivers shared with the renowned Denon AH-D1001k is not.

creativeaurvanalive.jpg

Build Quality (7/10): The Creative Aurvana Live! is a well-built headphone but doesn’t exude the same air of solidity as the K81dj and HA-M750. The plastics feel sturdy and well-made. The glossy black cups and chrome trim are fingerprint magnets but the grime isn’t too visible on them (unlike, for example, the ATH-ES7). The stainless steel headband is padded and the cabling is nice and thick, rubberized to prevent tangling and short enough for portable use. An extension cable is included. On the downside, the CAL! are neither collapsible nor flat-folding, so calling them portables is contingent entirely on their having a shorter cable and being easily driven.

Comfort (9.5/10): The cups of the Creative Aurvana Live! were designed to be circumaural, and they are - for all but those with the largest ears. The cups are deep, extremely comfortable, and have a wide range of motion. The phones themselves are very light, largely due to the plastic construction, and there is almost no clamping force exerted by the headband. The pleather on the cups and headband feels quite soft but can get warm after a while, though I can stay cool longer in these than the JVC HA-M750.

Isolation (5.5/10): Though leakage is expectedly low, the isolation of CAL! is also quite low for a closed can. While better than almost all of the on-ear ultraportables, it just doesn’t compare some of the larger closed cans. I found myself cranking the volume up almost immediately when going outside.

Sound (8.5/10): As mentioned before, the CAL! shares OEM drivers (as well as pads and parts of the inner structure) with the renowned Denon AH-D1001k. My expectations were pretty high for these, so I was fairly surprised when I found the general sound signature to be similar to that of the significantly-cheaper JVC HA-M750. Over time, however, they grew on me and I learned to differentiate them from the JVCs in subtle but important ways. Like the JVCs, the CAL!s are bass-heavy headphones with a very rich-sounding midrange and a warm tonality. However, the Creatives boast better clarity in the (far less forward) midrange and a more dimensional sound - the soundstage has some depth in addition to the width. They are more laid back and balanced and at the same time a little faster when the music calls for it. The bass is textured, fairly well-controlled, and surprisingly deep (capable of dropping below 30Hz). The low-end response can be excessive at times - these are most definitely not monitoring headphones – but it’s hard to beat them for an enjoyable and relaxed listening experience with plenty of subwoofer bass.

Value (9/10). (MSRP: $99.99, Street Price: $99). I like these, I really do. They are extremely comfortable, reasonably portable, and they sound oh-so-good. Granted, the sound isn’t quite as neutral as some may prefer and the isolation could be better. But they are just so very fun to listen to. In a series of A:B comparisons they make my JVC HA-M750 sound muddy, aggressive, and flat and my K81Dj – hollow and resonant. The CAL! is definitely one headphone I could use both on the go and at home, but only if isolation was inconsequential and absolute portability was not a concern.

Manufacturer Specs:
Frequency Response:10-30,000 Hz
Impedance:32 Ω
Sensitivity:103 dB SPL/1mW
Cord:3.94ft (1.2m) + 5ft (1.5m) extension; Straight Plug
Space-Saving Mechanism:N/A

They seem pretty good? Any one know if these will be good for movie watching?

Oh and cheers for the link.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #20 of 61
The DT660s shouldn't need a amp with lots of cahoolies; I understand they should work fine with portables; hence probably with both those soundcards. There's lots of stuff in the "Computer Audio" sub forum here on how to set up your sound card and media player for best quality. You don't state in your post whether the JVCs and Beyers were both used with same source.
If you're sure your set up is right, might then be worthwhile to play with an equaliser on your PC to try to make some of those adjustments which may have appealed to you; could even try to match the Beyer and JVC as an exercise.
Not sure the CAL!s would necessarily be an upgrade. But if you're itching to buy something, you've come to the right place :D

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #21 of 61

Quote:
Truth be told i think id just like a new set i can use when i am bored with my Beyers. Dose any of that make sense??
confused_face.gif

It makes perfect sense :)

I didnt know those creatives are essencialy oem denons >.> explains a lot, creative itself makes crap headphones. :)

Go and lisen to them and remember don't try the more expensive headphones if You know You can't afford them cuz in most cases You'll get out of the store with $$$ headphones :)

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #22 of 61
Feb 17, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #23 of 61

Quote:

Go and lisen to them and remember don't try the more expensive headphones if You know You can't afford them cuz in most cases You'll get out of the store with $$$ headphones :)

Iam not sure if theres anywhere near me i can do that. Ill check.

Cheers.

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #24 of 61
Well I guess the CAL! will contrast with the Beyer by feeling lighter and probably comfier. It will also feel less bright (hopefully the extra brightness you felt in the JVC wasn't what attracted you to it) and maybe have a bit more bass (though this isn't renowned for being well controlled bass).
The Denon AH D1100 would probably give you more bass still. You can also read up on the Denon DN-HP700 and Audio Technica ATM M50 (as mentioned in second post in this thread) in ljokerl's reviews. Might be lucky enough to get them close to your budget if shop around.

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #25 of 61
Could somebody please explain Frequency Response to me.
Thanks.

Feb 18, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #27 of 61
I think i will go for the CALs. @ £52.39. Ive read so much good stuff about them. And then when i get bored with them ill go back to my Beyers. ............... But ive not pulled the trigger yet so theres still time for other options.
wink.gif

Thanks for your patients guys.
smile.gif

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #28 of 61
yeah go for the CALs first since it is the cheapest one out of the lot.

I would second the Denon AH D1100 to try next as well on £89 .

Oh can you tell post on here to say what you think of the CAL when you get them as I am looking for a pair as well and CAL is on my list.  Cheers.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #29 of 61

Quote:
I think i will go for the CALs. @ £52.39. Ive read so much good stuff about them. And then when i get bored with them ill go back to my Beyers. ............... But ive not pulled the trigger yet so theres still time for other options.
wink.gif

Thanks for your patients guys.
smile.gif

Still, go and lisen to them, um certain You got some place near You where most of those cans are available. UK wasnt a part of 3rd world last time i checked :p

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #30 of 61

Quote:
Oh can you tell post on here to say what you think of the CAL when you get them as I am looking for a pair as well and CAL is on my list.  Cheers.  
smily_headphones1.gif

I second that!

I'm selling the HD555's on Fleebay, they end Sunday so am looking at my options.  Don't really want to spend more than £60 so can buy the CAL's, AKG K518LE or Denon DN-HP500.  Alternatively can look out for a 2nd hand pair of M50's from Fleebay.  I'm still undecided.  I think I've ruled out the K518LE as being too boomy in the bass department, I really like the look of the Denon's but there is only one review on here and very little on the net about them.  The CAL's are winning.

All I know is I want a can that's more impactful and suitable for heavy rock...I don't find the HD555 suites me.  Sounds to thin to me, nice and smooth but not enough bass.  I also don't like an overly bright sound and certainly no sibilance, that's why i went for the ProAlpha's....couldn't be happier with them.

Any input appreciated....especially from Joker if you read this
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back