Best Headphones Under 200$
May 14, 2013 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DStanizzi

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys and Gals, I'm new to the forum but I have been lurking around Head-Fi for years. I would like to apologize for another "Best Headphone for Under 200$" post I know there a bit cliche but I have yet to find one that fits my situation and needs. I have always like good sounding music. Ever since I was 14 (I'm 18 now) I said screw Beats I'm getting some Klipsch S4's. I then bought a nice little CMOY that I still have and love. My next huge leap in to Audiophilia was last week when I was looking through EBay and found a mispriced Little Dot Mk III for 60$ shipped. I bought it. I then bought a Muse 4xTDA1543 DAC. I will replace some of the caps with film caps and apparently once you do that its a solid DAC for about 60$.I plan on replacing the tubes in the Little Dot to some Voskhod "Rocket Label" Tubes.As you can see the only thing missing from this recipe is the headphones. I listen to a huge range of music. I do like bass but I also understand the audio bliss of a flat response and to let the amp and DAC shape the sound. So what do you suggest for my entry level audiophile setup.

May 14, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 7
You should be careful if that Little Dot MKIII was one of the ones from china for 10 dollars + 50 shipping.  Several members on here have jumped on that and confirmed that it was a scam and that they had to file dispute with paypal to get refund.

As for the headphones, are you looking fore open or closed cans?  For under 200 dollars, I thin the best options are

Open: Sennheiser HD598s (can be had for around 170-180 refurbed), AKG Q701s (around same price as the 598s refurbed), and DT990 Pros 250ohm (can be had brand new for around 150-160). Sony MA900 (200 new).

Closed: AKG K550' (200 used)s, Sony MDR1R (200 new sometimes when on sale), Sennheiser Momentums (can dip down to under 200 refurbed sometimes).

May 14, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
You should be careful if that Little Dot MKIII was one of the ones from china for 10 dollars + 50 shipping.  Several members on here have jumped on that and confirmed that it was a scam and that they had to file dispute with paypal to get refund.

As for the headphones, are you looking fore open or closed cans?  For under 200 dollars, I thin the best options are

Open: Sennheiser HD598s (can be had for around 170-180 refurbed), AKG Q701s (around same price as the 598s refurbed), and DT990 Pros 250ohm (can be had brand new for around 150-160). Sony MA900 (200 new).

Closed: AKG K550' (200 used)s, Sony MDR1R (200 new sometimes when on sale), Sennheiser Momentums (can dip down to under 200 refurbed sometimes).

It was the 10$ Little Dot. Im curious to see. I know EBays buyer protection is really solid so im not to worried about getting my money back if things dont turn out the way I wanted. I know shipping from china takes forever regardless of what you buy. The first person to buy one was the 4th of May so I doubt it would have arrived yet. I bought mine the 10th. I will wait it out till the end of the expected delivery date and see if I got screwed. Im hoping for the best. The seller had some positive feedback but I know that can be fake. Thanks for the heads up and suggestion. I will look in to those Momentum's they look interesting.

May 14, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 7
i managed to get a used hd600 for usd200. 

May 15, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 7
So turns out the Little Dot is fake. Good news is EBay took down the post to they know its fake so refunds will be relatively quick and painless. With 50 Dollars now back in my pocket here lies a better question to add to my original post. I will be selling some old computer hardware so I will have an extra 200-250 dollars in my pocket. Plus another 150 I will get for my birthday. So with that money should I spend the 200$ish dollars to get a Little Dot or other tube amp. OR spend 100$ on a cheaper digital amp and spend the extra hundred on the earphones. Were is the money better spend in terms of audio quality and future upgrades to my setup. Sorry for the extra question but I'm curious now.

May 15, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 7
Since u been around for a few years here, y dun u buy off the buysell forum here...
And hone your taste, lots of reliable sellers here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back