Best Headphones under $100 Without an Amp?
Dec 18, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #31 of 59
What do you guys think of this conclusion~~~~

NVX XTP100 ($79)
JVC HA-S680 ($69)
Creative Arvana Live! ($60)

Prices based on amazon.com

From all the reviews I've read, and the posts on this thread (thanks everyone btw), I'd consider these the top 3 (for my sound preference) headphones under $100. NVX XTP100  (including all its clones) won the votes here, but the CAL!'s and the JVC's don't fall too far behind.

I can't properly compare all these three, since people won't own all three, (especially the JVC's, being Japan imported). Sadly, not to many of the JVC reviews are available (in english anyway).

I'm going to wait till boxing day/week and compare the value of the three then. I'd like to say I've made up my mind on the NVX XTP100, just not entirely

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #32 of 59
Oh sucks. Canada is even worse off than europe. We have at least an ocean between europe and the insane offers in USA. Canada is right next door...the  frustration would kill you.

A while back tigerdrect had UE6000 for 60$ and FS price matched it. 100$ is actually not bad. Thats what I paid for my UE6000 here.
And that was a special one day only offer.

The NVX XTP100 looks like an awesome package. Two cables and two different pads. Not bad looking black on black.
I got the Jaycars version. 50$ but less shorter cable and angled pads.
http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&CATID=85&form=CAT2#4
Unbeatable for it's price. But doesnt look as cool IMO. Still not portable though...really sticks out.

The UE6000 works perfect with my pc. It's just one quirky headphone. But I really enjoy it's soundpossibilities.

Can't go wrong with CAL. but has isolation issue with it.

Awesome choices btw.

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #33 of 59
Creative Aurvana Live!
Koss-KSC75
Superlux HD-662b
JVC HA-S500
Takstar Pro80

Are all under $50 and have good sound with varying signatures. TakStar for bass, SuperLux for sound-stage. KSC75's for airiness in the treble. CAL! is an all-around good performer but lacks the treble detail and sparkle.

Sound Magic IEM E18's have the most detail of anything I own, but the presentation is otherwise very 2-dimensional. Only $15.

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #34 of 59
Dec 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #36 of 59
  Oh sucks. Canada is even worse off than europe. We have at least an ocean between europe and the insane offers in USA. Canada is right next door...the  frustration would kill you.

A while back tigerdrect had UE6000 for 60$ and FS price matched it. 100$ is actually not bad. Thats what I paid for my UE6000 here.
And that was a special one day only offer.

The NVX XTP100 looks like an awesome package. Two cables and two different pads. Not bad looking black on black.
I got the Jaycars version. 50$ but less shorter cable and angled pads.
http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&CATID=85&form=CAT2#4
Unbeatable for it's price. But doesnt look as cool IMO. Still not portable though...really sticks out.

The UE6000 works perfect with my pc. It's just one quirky headphone. But I really enjoy it's soundpossibilities.

Can't go wrong with CAL. but has isolation issue with it.

Awesome choices btw.

First time seeing that website, what do you mean by "less shorter cable and angled pads", are they not included?

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #37 of 59
  First time seeing that website, what do you mean by "less shorter cable and angled pads", are they not included?

that is correct.  Jaycar is straight OEM.  One headphone, one cable no extras.  Maybe more affordable than an Amazon choice.  Some of the Jaycar headphones sent out will be labeled Digitech.

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #38 of 59
wait does Jaycar offer free shipping? I'm not seeing the price increase higher than $63 (the canadian price on that website). How many days does jaycar take to deliver products?

Also, would you say its worth it? Are the angled cups a lot more comfortable? The spare cable sounds really nice to have incase something happens to them, but I can order an extra cable later I guess.

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #39 of 59
Difference is 25$. You get the black colorway, the shorter 1.3m cable(handy for portable use) and the angled pads.
When you order you will be quoted shipping cost. So difference could be smaller.
I ordered in uk. Jay car was crappy with communication. But it didn't take to long to be delivered if I remembercorrectly.

Tbh I really like the color way. But the barebones jaycar pricing is also real nice. Makes it feel extra special.

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #40 of 59
  wait does Jaycar offer free shipping? I'm not seeing the price increase higher than $63 (the canadian price on that website). How many days does jaycar take to deliver products?

Also, would you say its worth it? Are the angled cups a lot more comfortable? The spare cable sounds really nice to have incase something happens to them, but I can order an extra cable later I guess.

the angled pads mess with the sound.  I don't think they are an extra value.  Having another cable is nice imho, and I like the black on black.

Jaycar does not have free shipping.  It's like $10-$15 here in the US, and I am not sure about the speed of delivery.

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #41 of 59
  Wait can I use the UE6000 on my computer? is it just portable devices that requires apple?

So the list is now 

Creative Aurvana Live! ($60 on amazon.com)  2 votes
nvx xpt100 ($79 on amazon.com)                  2 votes
Grados SR60i ($79 on amazon.com)                2 votes

future shop.ca has the UE6000's for 99$, 

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ultimate-ears-ultimate-ears-6000-over-ear-headphones-black-982-000079/10252899.aspx

still kinda out of my price range + the tax, but perhaps it'll get cheaper on boxing day

SennHD558 are too expensive for me, how do the sennheiser HD518 compare ($79 on amazon.com)

This post seems kinda all over the place, sorry about that.

Never heard HD518 but going by owner comments they are decent, open and not closed though like CAL! and UE6000.

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #42 of 59
  the angled pads mess with the sound.  I don't think they are an extra value.  Having another cable is nice imho, and I like the black on black.

Jaycar does not have free shipping.  It's like $10-$15 here in the US, and I am not sure about the speed of delivery.

$80 NVX Audio XPT100
$70 Jaycar/Digitech Pro Monitor

$10 difference unless you are living in California or Kentucky (tax), plus the extras and the faster shipping time if you live in the US. I ordered the XPT100 myself, easier to return compared to buying the other clones if you don't like them if you live in the US.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #43 of 59

Order Summary

Items:$79.99
Shipping & handling:$34.00

Total before tax:$113.99
Estimated tax to be collected:*$0.00

Order total: $113.99

Thats Amazon.com's offer to me for ******* living in canada.

QtyDescription Item Price
Total Price $CAD
Pro Monitor Headphones
STOCK-CODE
$63.50
$63.50
PRODUCT TOTAL:
$63.50
SHIPPING TOTAL:
$0.00 (POA)
TRANSACTION FEE:
GRAND TOTAL:
$63.50

Thats Jaycar with FedEx (never used be4, not sure why theres no shipping cost

QtyDescription Item Price
Total Price $CAD
Pro Monitor Headphones
STOCK-CODE
$63.50
$63.50
PRODUCT TOTAL:
$63.50
SHIPPING TOTAL:
$25.00
TRANSACTION FEE:
GRAND TOTAL:
$88.50

Thats Jaycar with its standard shipping rates.

You see why I'm looking at Jaycar now....

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #44 of 59
idk where your finding the CAL!'s for under $50... what website are you looking at, and what region are you?

China, TaoBao and when things go on sale. Many cans are made in China and often are far cheaper here. SuperLux as a good example. Then again, anything NOT made in China is crazy expensive.

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #45 of 59
Thats Amazon.com's offer to me for living in Canada.

That's how your 'free' healthcare is paid for.
You could move to Hong Kong or Singapore.
Lower taxes, strong head-fi communities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back