Best Headphones under $100 Without an Amp?
Dec 19, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #46 of 59
What do you guys think of this conclusion~~~~

NVX XTP100 ($79)
JVC HA-S680 ($69)
Creative Arvana Live! ($60)

Prices based on amazon.com

From all the reviews I've read, and the posts on this thread (thanks everyone btw), I'd consider these the top 3 (for my sound preference) headphones under $100. NVX XTP100  (including all its clones) won the votes here, but the CAL!'s and the JVC's don't fall too far behind.

I can't properly compare all these three, since people won't own all three, (especially the JVC's, being Japan imported). Sadly, not to many of the JVC reviews are available (in english anyway).

I'm going to wait till boxing day/week and compare the value of the three then. I'd like to say I've made up my mind on the NVX XTP100, just not entirely+-

If you are seeking a bass heavy phone then those are good choices for under $80.

Give the Steel Series Siberia a listen, it is $75 and supposed to have good bass as well.

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #47 of 59
  that is correct.  Jaycar is straight OEM.  One headphone, one cable no extras.  Maybe more affordable than an Amazon choice.  Some of the Jaycar headphones sent out will be labeled Digitech.

That makes it sound worse than it is. Jaycar's come with normal extra pads. Atleast all the three pairs I have did. Those pads are awesome. Very comfortable and can be fitted on many headphones. I have used those with somic mh463, somic efi82mt, takstar hi2050(i suppose those would also fit pro 80), sony mdr-sa5000, ath-w1000x, fostex t20rp etc... Also the carrying case is high quality. Digitechs are awesome for the price. I have not heard takstar pro80, I think it might be as good or better considering how good hi2050 is. When I don't need isolation I use beyer T1, when I need some isolation I use ath-w1000x or jvc-dx1000 and when I really need alot of isolation I use Digitechs. And that is about 30% of my listening. When I have to use digitechs I am not constantly thinking about how much better T1 would sound. I can barely listen to most of my other budget headphones these days. That should tell how good those jaycars are :) 

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #49 of 59
Try the heavily discounted Martin Logan Mikros 90.  Currently a steal at NewEgg for $59.99 shipped.  They should suit your listening preferences well, are closed, isolate well and leak very little.  They are straightforward in design, understated and classy in appearance.

Dec 19, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #51 of 59
  After looking at this list http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-108-portable-headphones-reviewed-denon-dn-hp1000-added-09-07-13

And like 3 weeks+ of other research, I just honestly can't decide anymore.

I listen to mainly soft rock, rock, and pop. +some gaming and watching movies with them.
I have never owned pretty expensive headphones so I have no idea what people mean when they say 'sound signature'
I have a roommate so I'd prefer closed headphones.
I kind of care what they look like, but not to the point of neglecting sound/build/comfort quality for better looks.
My max budget is $100, but that's including shipping+tax, also, who wouldn't want to save some extra cash?

I hate to always recommend the same thing, but personally I would go for a pair of Sennheiser HD 428's. The can be found cheaply all over the web. Very comfortable to wear, sound great straight out of an iPod or similar device, and moddable. They are closed by the way.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #55 of 59
  I hate to always recommend the same thing, but personally I would go for a pair of Sennheiser HD 428's. The can be found cheaply all over the web. Very comfortable to wear, sound great straight out of an iPod or similar device, and moddable. They are closed by the way.

I have a pair of them and HD280s. Both are < $100 on amazon right now. I think the 280s sound much better, but the 428s are lighter and more comfortable and have a lot more boomy and slightly muddy bass. 

Lot of good recs in this thread. 

Dec 20, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #56 of 59
  I have a pair of them and HD280s. Both are < $100 on amazon right now. I think the 280s sound much better, but the 428s are lighter and more comfortable and have a lot more boomy and slightly muddy bass. 

Lot of good recs in this thread. 

See, on another topic, thats something I never understood. Isn't the SQ supposed to get better with higher # models? I'm finding most 400 models cheaper than the 200 models. And nobody seems to recommend the HD518 (granted it is open), being a higher model at the same price.

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #57 of 59

See, on another topic, thats something I never understood. Isn't the SQ supposed to get better with higher # models? I'm finding most 400 models cheaper than the 200 models. And nobody seems to recommend the HD518 (granted it is open), being a higher model at the same price.

The first number is more about the series than the absolute quality. I.e. a pair of CX275 ear buds are much better sounding than a pair of CX300/301 etc. The HD280s are a very old school design but they work well.  The 518 is a pretty low end 5xx series, 598 near the top of the 5xx series. So there's a kind of overlap for the series. I think. That's certainly what it looks like.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #58 of 59
  Oh sucks. Canada is even worse off than europe. We have at least an ocean between europe and the insane offers in USA. Canada is right next door...the  frustration would kill you.

I live in Ontario, within driving distance of a border to the United States. A buddy of mine has a mailbox in the United States and I can get him to order things for me. We have to pay import fees, but it isn't too bad.

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #59 of 59
my vote goes to the closed portable ue6000 heavily on sale. has active noise cancelling & can be used in passive mode. foldable, travel case, detachable button/mic-on-cable. sounds excellent. looks stylish. can't really go wrong with that option at its current sub-$100 price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back