Best Headphones for use on older Stereo System
Aug 15, 2010 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HayU

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I am new to headphone technology and was looking for some advice. I would like to purchase new headphones but not sure what to get that will be the best match for my current Rotel Integrated Amplifier (RA-820BX) with headphone jack.

The amp has following specs. 25 watts/ channel, min. RMS both channels driven into 8 ohms from 20-20,000 Hz. Music power 120 watts.
Output: Headphone- 4-16 Ohms, Damping factor 25 , Input sensitivity/impedence- 220mv/ 24kohms.

I was leaning toward the Beyerdynamic dt990 (2005) 32, 250 , but not sure if these will sound good with the Rotel integrated amp or will I need further amplification to make them sound there best?. is here something else you would recommend at the $300.00 US price point?

Any advice for a newbie would be appreciated.

Thank You

Aug 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 9
Those older integrated amps with their headphone out, are in my experience rather good in driving any headphone with a higher ohmage (100 ohm and higher).

Aug 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 9
I drove my 600 ohm, Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro's for years, with an early 70's, 10wpc, Marantz 2010 receiver.
While I'm sure they were not anywhere close the ultimate in headphone amplification, they did a nice job of driving the very high impedance DT-990 Pro's, IMO.

Steve

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks Tieman, I have read alot about matching impedence, I am really new at the impedence thing, the DT 990's come in 32 , 250 and 600 ohms, I am thinking the 250 and 600 Ohm cans are going to be way underpowered?  Could I add a headphone amp into my existing integrated amp, if so would it make any difference in sound quality?

Thanks agian

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks Steve, I am feeling better about purchasing the Beyer's. Now I just need to find them at a good price. I have seen everything from $199.00 to $350.00 so not sure I am looking at the same thing? The DT 990 (2005), and DT 990 Pro seem to be muddled together on some of the Internet sites so I am not sure what I am actually being quoted..buyer beware...

Anyway thanks for your input

Larry

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 9
Unless you're after real sonic perfection and have a particularly discerning ear, I think the main thing to avoid is low impedance cans plugged into an amp with a high output impedance.  Since your amp has a low output impedance, it will probably have enough to drive most headphones well.  

If you're getting the Beyers, go for the DT990/600.  There are no 600 ohm pros, and they sell for less than they are really worth.

As long as your amplifier has line out jacks, you can use it as a preamp for another headphone amp down the line.  Realistically, though, there's a pretty good chance that your Rotel will feed the DT990/600 decently well, and you can always upgrade down the line to an amp that will make them even more magical (tubes!)

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 9
Rotel makes good equipment and you shouldn't have any trouble driving a DT990. Before you buy an amp, be sure to try your headphones with your Rotel. If you enjoy the sound, there's no need to buy anything else.

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 9
I haven't heard that Rotel, but I use a vintage Marantz 1090 and they are awesome with the HD650. And a lot of other stuff actually like the Turbine Golds. They have that "analogue sound" and impart it on a lot of cans. They shore up the weaknesses of some cans that are overly bright and lacking warmth like the Phiaton MS300.

Not sure how your Rotel sounds but shouldn't be too hard to find a can with good synergy with them.

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks to all of you for your feedback, much appreciated. I have been listening to most of my music for the past five years on a Bose Lifestyle system....yes went to the dark side. Although It sounds good, I always felt it was lacking something.

It was only until I resurrected my Rotel equipment, that I realized how much better it sounds in comparison. I had an old pair of Koss headphones, many years ago and always enjoyed listening to my music, mostly Classical and Jazz, on them. But after several moves and a bad memory I can't remember what happened to them, so going to purchase a new pair and want to get something decent that is in step with my current equipment.
All your advice sounds good, so I will pick up a pair of the Beyer's and try them out...It is a Christmas present so I will have to wait a while before using them.

Thanks again to everyone

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back