Best Headphones for this setup?
Jan 1, 2011 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

gtmanning

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I am looking for a pair of headphones to use with my PC (x-fi xtrememusic soundcard).
My main uses are electronic-drums (sounds coming out of a VST in FL Studio), music production/playback and games.

Keeping these in mind bass and comfort are the two priorities. Other important factors are responsiveness - for the drums, range-for music production/playback and overall sound quality (for everything). Edit- and sound stage for games and music playback

Any and all headphones considered, in mind at the moment are the Beyerdynamics DT770 pro 80ohm, Audio Technica ATH-M50, Shure ARH840 and perhaps Bose, among others.

The question is more regarding my requirements of sound than my 'setup', if absolutely necessary I will purchase an amp/dac.

Price range £90-150 /converted- $140-240 (I'm from UK).

Many thanks all, look forward to discussing

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 31
Willing to bet the M50s, XB700, D2000 will be the top three to look at. The 770 Pro 80 as well, but it needs more amping than those three.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 31
They are definitely a safe buy. One of the first and still one of my very faves.

As far as closed headphones go, only the D7000 has left such a lasting impression on me. The M50s are just daaaaaaamn good for the price. The XB700 is also one that left an impression, but I feel the M50s do more genres better.

If you get them, make sure to stretch them out a little, to loosen the clamp it comes with. Also, it's one of the headphones that benefits from just a little burning in. The highs are very metallic out of the box, but after one day, I felt it became more refined, though still very aggressive.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 31
When you say 'stretch out', you mean pull the pads apart so's to stretch the middle frame?
How would you recommend burning these in? I hear white noise and things can speed this up...
Thanks

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 31
I use pink noise. I have a 20 minute pink noise run with 2 minute silence, and I run that in loops. Pink noise is even all across the spectrum compared to the loud but unbalanced white noise.

As for stretching the headband, what I did was hold the cups in my hands and force them apart closer to horizontal. I did it slowly, stretching it little by little, putting the headphones on every time I went further and further, until I got the desired clamp.

The M50s are built like tanks. They won't break by doing this.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 31
Only if the M50s aren't stretched. Afterwards, I found the M50s more comfortable. The 770s are comfortable though. The pads are better than the M50 pads.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #9 of 31
The only thing that has me swaying a little is still the comfort thing... My ears absolutely adore the type of material used on the beyerdynamics, especially in comparison with leather.. But clearly the M50s would be better and safer for all round sound for my needs. This is really tough

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 31
Not really too imortant, IMHO unless you plan on gaming.

Soundstage is like a virtual space where the sounds are placed in. Think of it as if you closed your eyes, you could sort of place where the sounds are coming from around you. The M50s are pretty much all in the head at all times.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #13 of 31
Soundstage describes the placement of music around the ear(think surround sound) and how well each instrument is spaced.  You'll find that headphones with fairly large soundstages that you can tell where each instrumental sound is coming from.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #14 of 31

Quote:
Thanks desktophifi.

What is soundstage?

Its something like having 3D in your ears, you can read this, from wiki:

Quote:
The term soundstage refers to the depth and richness of an audio recording and usually relates to the playback process. According to audiophiles, the quality of the playback is very much dependent upon how one is able to pick out different instruments, voices, vocal parts, and such exactly where they are located on an imaginary 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional field. The quality of this soundstage can enhance not only the listener's involvement in the recording, but also their overall perception of the stage.

Having a better soundstage helps if you're a gamer. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #15 of 31
Oh I see, that makes it even tougher to go for the M50s then, to be honest.
I do enjoy a 3d feel to headphones, as well as being partial to games...
But e-drums/music comes above that on the priorities.
Though, if the 770s have nicer ear pads (for me) and a more 3d sound, they're swaying me even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back