Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
R
S

Another good call, Phil.

Jun 23, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #17 of 48
Lots of good responses so far
smily_headphones1.gif

I have personally not listened to a lot of the cans you guys are talking about, but I wanted to ask this question to see what would happen since I've heard about specific headphones being good for classical, jazz, or rock, but progressive rock can fall somewhere inbetween. Pehaps I can find a store in NYC where I can listen to a wider range of headphones, when I'm back in NY in August. I've listened to various Sennheisers and SR60s and that's pretty much it. My source is my computer through my newly acquired BitHead, which I am really enjoying. I've never heard Larks' Tongues in Aspic so clearly before
icon10.gif

Jun 23, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Another good call, Phil.

rs1smile.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #20 of 48
I'd suggest listening to Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow with a pair of HD-6 and 7/8s with no cable.

Italian prog sounds best with top of the line Grados on someone else's head.

See ya
Steve

Jun 24, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #21 of 48
Etymotic ER4p works for me (amped). Sounds better than HD580 I used to own. The quickness of these phones keeps up with all the fast solos! Yes, the bass is not as prominent as the others mentioned, but the clarity brings out everything prog has to offer.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #22 of 48
Here's to all of you prog-heads out there: which headphones do you prefer for progressive rock in general?

As far as IEM´s go the Sennheiser IE80 and Grado GR 10 for more vocal and acoustic orientated prog. For normal headphones I am still looking altrough the Denon 7100 is a candidate, as well as some Grado models

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #25 of 48
Lots of good responses so far
smily_headphones1.gif

I have personally not listened to a lot of the cans you guys are talking about, but I wanted to ask this question to see what would happen since I've heard about specific headphones being good for classical, jazz, or rock, but progressive rock can fall somewhere inbetween. Pehaps I can find a store in NYC where I can listen to a wider range of headphones, when I'm back in NY in August. I've listened to various Sennheisers and SR60s and that's pretty much it. My source is my computer through my newly acquired BitHead, which I am really enjoying. I've never heard Larks' Tongues in Aspic so clearly before
icon10.gif

Most prog classics are "old" recording even if remastered they are not up to the technical recoding Level of today, otherwise prog is very eclectic, goings from folky symphonic to avant stuff from the Cuneiform Label like Present, Guapo, Ahvak and the like. I haven´t heard cans that does KC " Larks..." very well, apart from my IE80 in ears. As far as "big" cans go Denon´s 7100 and some Grado´s might come to considering.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #26 of 48
Etymotic ER4p works for me (amped). Sounds better than HD580 I used to own. The quickness of these phones keeps up with all the fast solos! Yes, the bass is not as prominent as the others mentioned, but the clarity brings out everything prog has to offer.

But with Yes " Fragile" , diverse Magma recordings, Primus, etc you Need good bass as well, no to mention Anglagard and Anekdoten

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #28 of 48
Here's to all of you prog-heads out there: which headphones do you prefer for progressive rock in general?

Over ears - Philips Fidelio L2
In ears - Sennheiser IE80
In more vocal music let us say, classic Yes, I also like the Grado GR10 because very detailed and the expression of the voices are the best you will come across, for heavy prog like claasic Crimson, Anglagard, Anekdoten, etc, I prefere the IE80 
I would like to try the Fostex TE-05 to if these are rocking? Maybe anyone know?

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #30 of 48
Great thread 
wink.gif

I like the Grado headphones for bands like Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Evergrey, Fates Warning, Rush and Queenryche.

But it's hard to beat the HD650 for Prog-Rock bands like Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Radiohead, Riverside, Anathema, IQ and Transatlantic.

I have also tried most of the Audeze and HiFiMAN headphones but I'm always coming back to the HD650 and the Grados headphones.

Cheers

PF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back