Best headphones for progressive rock?
Apr 16, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #31 of 48
  Great thread 
wink.gif

I like the Grado headphones for bands like Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Evergrey, Fates Warning, Rush and Queenryche.

But it's hard to beat the HD650 for Prog-Rock bands like Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Radiohead, Riverside, Anathema, IQ and Transatlantic.

I have also tried most of the Audeze and HiFiMAN headphones but I'm always coming back to the HD650 and the Grados headphones.

Cheers

PF

a lot of my friends who listen to prog use the senn 600-650 even for studio work. Wich of the Grado have the most bass impact to do justice like for example Steven Wilson latest? I am thinking of a 325 e or sr2e .

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #35 of 48
Kef M200 iems really do the trick for me. Even low bitrate Tunein program radio station Morow.com (highly recommended for proggers) on my touch is dynamic, detailed, quick and punchy with no simbilance on the Kefs.
Warning though that fit is iffy for some due to large size.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #37 of 48
Wow, I should have asked this question. I also listen to a good amount of Prog rock (I also listen to a good amount of jazz, classic rock, new age, classical, etc). 
The OP is absolutely correct in stating that Prog rock often falls in between jazz, classical and rock. 
Anyway, this is the track I should be looking at for my next headphones as it will in theory get me closest to what I want.
Thanks to the OP for asking this question.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #38 of 48
I really like the Grado RS2e for progressive rock.

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #39 of 48
Counting up the mentions I see that the Senn HD650 has the highest vote count with 4 or 5 so far.
I'm looking up all the suggested phones and can't seem to find some. Update: Found most using google. The ones I can't find are now:
AKG K255
Grado PS1
MS2i (brand unknown)
Grado SR80 
HD6 7/8 (brand unknown)
Also the Grados have 4 or 5 variations of the same model which is confusing.
I found that half of the cans are discontinued.

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #40 of 48
Kef M200 iems really do the trick for me. Even low bitrate Tunein program radio station Morow.com (highly recommended for proggers) on my touch is dynamic, detailed, quick and punchy with no simbilance on the Kefs.
Warning though that fit is iffy for some due to large size.

I use Senn IE80 for the more heavy prog like Red era King Crimson, Anekdoten, Anglagard,etc.Can´t imagine the KEF M200 does better, but at home I would like to go for an over ear, altough very happy with my Philips Fidelio L2 , I am in for something else as well, if sounding great with prog. and avant-prog, the latter have a lot of acoustic instrumentation, think of Univers Zero and Aranis, and here the Grado GR10 does extremely well, a piano or a clarinet for that matter sounds very natural, so if this is the case for the over ears Grado´s I might try one, but not the most expensive ones, an option could be the 325e and the RS2e.
Do you also have the on ear KEF pfloyd?

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #41 of 48
  I use Senn IE80 for the more heavy prog like Red era King Crimson, Anekdoten, Anglagard,etc.Can´t imagine the KEF M200 does better, but at home I would like to go for an over ear, altough very happy with my Philips Fidelio L2 , I am in for something else as well, if sounding great with prog. and avant-prog, the latter have a lot of acoustic instrumentation, think of Univers Zero and Aranis, and here the Grado GR10 does extremely well, a piano or a clarinet for that matter sounds very natural, so if this is the case for the over ears Grado´s I might try one, but not the most expensive ones, an option could be the 325e and the RS2e.
Do you also have the on ear KEF pfloyd?

Yes i do have the m500s as well, and at first blush I thought they were great, but there is a glare in the mids that get fatiguing after a while, and I find the soundstage more open on the m200.
I used to own the grado sr60 and sr80 and currently own the sr80i and although they are good they sound like you are on stage rather than in the audience and the upper mids get fatiguing after a while, plus everyone in the house can here you jamming to Dream Theater. I also have the momentum v1 which are non fatiguing and have good soundstage but lack prat in the bass, something I feel is important especially for prog. As far as the IE80 vs the m200, never heard the senns but got the m200 for 50 bucks new and they are my favs and the value proposition is hard to beat if you can find them on sale and they fit you. UE TF10s are good too but can become sibilant and fit is an issue for many and they are hard to find now at a decent price and build quality is iffy.

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #42 of 48
Yes i do have the m500s as well, and at first blush I thought they were great, but there is a glare in the mids that get fatiguing after a while, and I find the soundstage more open on the m200.
I used to own the grado sr60 and sr80 and currently own the sr80i and although they are good they sound like you are on stage rather than in the audience and the upper mids get fatiguing after a while, plus everyone in the house can here you jamming to Dream Theater. I also have the momentum v1 which are non fatiguing and have good soundstage but lack prat in the bass, something I feel is important especially for prog. As far as the IE80 vs the m200, never heard the senns but got the m200 for 50 bucks new and they are my favs and the value proposition is hard to beat if you can find them on sale and they fit you. UE TF10s are good too but can become sibilant and fit is an issue for many and they are hard to find now at a decent price and build quality is iffy.
wow! Here they cost 200 Euro, at 50 it is a no brainer.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #45 of 48
  The Fostex TH-X00 are very good with Prog-Rock.

Interesting, I'm still burning in mine. What makes you suggest th-x00 for prog rock? (Not saying it's BAD or anything, just curious about your review of TH-x00 for prog rock).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back