Best headphones for Prog Rock/Prog Metal (250€)
Dec 15, 2010 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MisterGrouik

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone !

I'm searching for the best headphones to listen to some prog music like King Crimson, Transatlantic, Porcupine Tree, Pain of Salvation, and many others...

I actually own AKG K242 HD that I love very much.

But I was questionning myself if I could find better than those for this kind of music, but enough better to put some money in it.

Thank you very muck for your advices !

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 18
I'm begging for your help please 
frown.gif

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 18
Well first off, AKG 702 is the same as 701 but with a replacable cable, and in most cases I would say its not worth wasting money on that model. And besides outside of the pricetag.

Now I am one listener to Doom & Death metal, but I do like prog rock also. I am actually aware of King Crimson and like some of their stuff. They were way ahead of their time in fact.

Now as for AKG, I do say they suit my listening very well. But not perfect, yet I don't think there's a perfect can for me.

I have just written a personal and extremely subjective review of the AKG 601's which I am about to start a thread with.
Feel free to have a look there.

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 18
MisterGrouik, I've had a topic just like this some time ago: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/522653/prog-rock-metal-headphones-cans-for-multi-layered-music 

On top of that, if you search for prog.rock or prog, you'll find more info than you'd think, many progheads here on headfi.

In my personal search for (mid-end)prog.rock-multi-layered-headphone-sound-nirvana, I bought the Grado SR225 some time ago. They are really wonderfull cans.

For me, it's as close as I came until now, but I'm further searching for perfection to my needs. (and those needs differ within the prog. genre; Marillion isn't Pain of Salvation and Porcupine is something very different also, for example)

Your own preferences do count a lot, as for headphone choice in general offcourse. Do you want the high treble upfrontness, the fantastic guitar sound that Grado gives you? Or maybe with some multi layered music, that's a bit too harsch, too fatiquing. You can go for the detail, the 'sterility' the 701/702 gives, or maybe something more warm like Senns 650.

For my next buy, I'm choosing between Senn HD600, HD650 and the Beyerdynamic DT880. The AKG 701 is reported also by many prog.lovers.

Have a nice hunt!

Dec 15, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 18
I love prog rock on my HD650's.

Dec 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
I love prog rock on my HD650's.

Same here. It's a lot more of a 3-dimensional headphone than the K701/2, IMO. For critical listening, I really love my HD650s.

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 18
Ok I'm taking good notes of your advices !

Another question... Will a headphone like HD650 reveal its full potiential with a simple MP3 player like Cowon S9 ?

Or do I have to use it with CD Player and Amp ?

Finally, is an IEM the best choice for a Cowon S9 ?

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 18
you need amping for a can like HD650, pretty serious amping

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #11 of 18
If in ears I can recommand the Yamaha EHB-100 on your Smartphone for listening to prog on Spotify.
Over ears Headphone I use Teufel Aureol Real, in combination with the DAC/headphone amp from Teac.UD-H01.This is a combination that gives you much fun listening to your prog collection.I also listen mostly to prog,, avant-prog,, Zeuhl,, RIO,

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #12 of 18
I'm an AKG fan, but for prog I prefer Grados. The resident prog expert here, my romantic partner (female), prefers Fostex T50RP to both.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 18
No doubt about These will Sound glorius Claritas, with whatever Music, but if you are on a Budget than my set-up is hard to beat. I did buy the Teac Dac/ headphone amp for 250 Euro (normal 350 Euro) as the shop did give up dealing with Teac, they moved to Yamaha, this by side, the Teufel cans have the Technology of much more expensive competitors, but probably are made in China what explains their low Price of 100 Euro.
So I end up spending 350 Euro for this Combo, wich gives me a lot of listening fun and I recommand to People who can´t or want to afford the more exotic brands like Grado and Fostex.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #14 of 18
  No doubt about These will Sound glorius Claritas, with whatever Music, but if you are on a Budget than my set-up is hard to beat. I did buy the Teac Dac/ headphone amp for 250 Euro (normal 350 Euro) as the shop did give up dealing with Teac, they moved to Yamaha, this by side, the Teufel cans have the Technology of much more expensive competitors, but probably are made in China what explains their low Price of 100 Euro.
So I end up spending 350 Euro for this Combo, wich gives me a lot of listening fun and I recommand to People who can´t or want to afford the more exotic brands like Grado and Fostex.

Which Yamaha? I'm having trouble finding it. Is it one of the vintage planar magnetics?

The Tuefels look sharp; you have a good eye. How do they sound? Would you be willing to give us an overview?

Grado isn't an exotic brand in America (maybe because they build them here), and neither Grado 60i/80i nor Fostex T50RP is particularly expensive.

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #15 of 18
I did mean the Yamaha in ear EPH-100. Those come at 200 in the US (official), but are worth it, more they are reference at still acceptable Price considering the competition at this Level.
The Teufel Aureol Real is unbeatable in it´s Price Segment and is comparable in Sound with the AKG 551K.
The reason you did not find the Yamaha´s is my fault as the type Name was fault :)
Teufel is a German brand that delivers straight from the manufacture to the Client, but I guess, that some of their production happens in China,otherwise it is difficult to explain how such headphones can be sold at 100 Euro.
This said if you are happy with Grado, there is no reason to Change.The Velodyne vTrue is my favorite model from the US but is unfortunately out of my Budget, but me and couple of friends did buy it for a birthday present, and it is the most beautifull headphone I ever saw. I did not try them of course, but knowing the repuation of Velodyne I am sure it is good,particulairly the bass wich might be great when listening to Magma:)
If I would try a Grado than it would be the SR225i wich is still acceptable in Price,sure when made in the US., but the over ears with the Wood....will remain a dream:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back