best headphones for professional use
Jan 14, 2012 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Hanabiko

New Head-Fier
Greetings! :)

I think I need your super expert advices!

I need a good pair of headphones for professional use: I'm a japanese translator and I need them to listen to movies and to catch the japanese language the best as possible. I think they should be noise canceling (it should permit me to separate better the japanese words) and I don't mind if they're wirless or not.
My budget is 250-300€ max. (if they're less expensive is better)

Thank for your help! Anna

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
Greetings! :)

I think I need your super expert advices!

I need a good pair of headphones for professional use: I'm a japanese translator and I need them to listen to movies and to catch the japanese language the best as possible. I think they should be noise canceling (it should permit me to separate better the japanese words) and I don't mind if they're wirless or not.
My budget is 250-300€ max. (if they're less expensive is better)

Thank for your help! Anna

Hi Anna,

I would get the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II for this use.

They were designed for professional use, are closed back and seal well against external noise.

They are also excellent for listening to detail - these are my No.1 headphones when I am recording and want to hear subtle detail in a mix.

They will be perfect for what you want to do.

I would use the optional velour earpads that are supplied with the headphones as they are more comfortable than the leatherette ones.

I hope this helps.

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 19

Quote:
Hi Anna,

I would get the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II for this use.

They were designed for professional use, are closed back and seal well against external noise.

They are also excellent for listening to detail - these are my No.1 headphones when I am recording and want to hear subtle detail in a mix.

They will be perfect for what you want to do.

I would use the optional velour earpads that are supplied with the headphones as they are more comfortable than the leatherette ones.

I hope this helps.

another vote for the hd-25 here.

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #5 of 19
I had the HD-25ll back in 2002 for DJ use, and since then I had many other hps that do a better job for pro voice use.

Here is my recommendations...

1. GMP 8.35.
2. AKG K-271 MKll.
3. ATH-M-50.
4. HD-25.

The first version of the HD25 is more balanced and flat sounding compare to the bassy DJ version of 25ll.
basshead.gif

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 19
BTW... the HD-25ll is on the ear hps, and all the hps I've mention above are over the ear hps ( the hps pads cover the ear). I prefer over the ear for SQ and better isolation and they are more comfy for long sessions.

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #7 of 19
Keep in mind that noise cancellation will only cancel out a continuous frequency--like a plane engine or machine hum. Likely, sound blocking is all you'll need for this task.

I'm going to defer to Acix on the actual question--the only thing I would add is to consider ones like the 835 and AKG carefully--something like the HD25 would not be comfortable for hours at a time. Personally, I find that AKGs are really comfortable.

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
--something like the HD25 would not be comfortable for hours at a time.

Actually it is comfortable - but needs the velour earpads for best comfort.

The original HD 414 were on the ear headphones and I have never heard anyone complain about their comfort.

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 19
Wow, how many answers :)

Thank you very much! I'll think about everyone of your advices.
I'm a bit confused because there are a lot of possibilities...

In an italian forum they told me [size=x-small]Shure SRH-840... what do you think about this model?[/size]

[size=x-small]Thank you very very much again :)[/size]

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Wow, how many answers :)

Thank you very much! I'll think about everyone of your advices.
I'm a bit confused because there are a lot of possibilities...

In an italian forum they told me [size=x-small]Shure SRH-840... what do you think about this model?[/size]

[size=x-small]Thank you very very much again :)[/size]

The SRH-840 seem OK, but I would not use them.

They are only 102dB efficient - 18dB worse than the HD 25-1 II.

They do not state a tolerance on the frequency response, so it does not mean very much.  The HD 25-1 II response is the -3dB figure.

It has a coiled cable which is heavy and springy - the HD 25-1 II has a light straight cable so you don't notice the weight of the cable in use.  I would never use a coiled cabled headphone again.

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #13 of 19
Ok let's make the point!

These are the models you all guys told me:

Sony V6
Sennheiser HD280
Shure SRH-840
Denon D 2000
Beyerdynamic dt770-250
Beyerdynamic dt770-80
AKG 271MKII
AKG 272HD
German Maestro GMP 8.35
Audio-techinca ATH-M-50
Sennheiser HD25
Bose Ae2

If I should choose for external look, Sony model is the most beautiful, but I don't trust too much in sony for headphones.

Models I fell most in love with are:
SRH840
ATH-M50
AKG 27ecc

If I should choose one now, probably I would go with ATH-M50, but it's really difficult :frowning2:
I'm sure they are all good products but I would like to make the right choice.

Sennheiser don't convince me. I have a past experience about they're poor durability... I don't know.

EDIT: You know I need them to translate. But the other uses can be classical music and sometimes rock music (I don't know if this can make a difference between two choices) :)

PS: thank you for the patience :)

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
Sennheiser don't convince me. I have a past experience about they're poor durability... I don't know.

Poor durability! you must be joking!

I have had my HD 25-1 for well over 20 years (I bought them in 1989 I think) with no problems at all.

There was a pair of HD 25 that were used by a DJ and the building caught fire - he went in the next day to get his headphones, covered with water and fire damage - and they still worked!

These are used by broadcast professionals day in and day out - there is absolutely no problem with durability.

The only Sennheiser headphones that I heard had a durability problem was about 15 years or so ago where there was not quite enough support round the ball joint - the problem was fixed and any ones that broke were fixed under guarantee - even several years after the guarantee had officially expired.

You need have no fear about durability at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back