Best Headphones For Me?
Jan 18, 2011 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

amandureja

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!  I am new to this forum - just joined.  Anyways, I am in a slight predicament here.  I am looking for some new cans (preferabbly closed, or open with very little leak).  I listen to lots of rock, rap, hip hop, metal.  These include guns n roses, eminem, metallica, devil wears prada, etc.  So I need some good headphoens for these genres.  I will be listening through my iPod Touch 3G, and my iMac.  So unamped.  I am considering the Beyer DT700PRO at 250 or 80 OMH.  Others are the ATH-M50, or some AKG MKII.  Would they Beyers sound good from my iPod (loud too?) for these genres?  I want nice and tight bass with a strong prescence that i can actually feel, sweet mids, and nice trebles.  I listen to a variety of genres, so I would want something to fit all of them.  Please recommend something for me!  Maximum price limit is $250, but I can go up to $300.  Thanks!

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 25
I've got the m50's and I can definitely vouch for them. Great bass as you want, and perfect for the genres you listen to. I listen to the exact same bands and a lot of hip hop too. They are very easily powered by an iPod. With the spare money you have leftover though, you may want to get a DAC/amp. That's only if you want a little better sound quality or bass to get the full potential. No amp is fine with them, but an amp with bass boost (good for your genres) will give it some nice 'umph'.

Quote:
Hey guys!  I am new to this forum - just joined.  Anyways, I am in a slight predicament here.  I am looking for some new cans (preferabbly closed, or open with very little leak).  I listen to lots of rock, rap, hip hop, metal.  These include guns n roses, eminem, metallica, devil wears prada, etc.  So I need some good headphoens for these genres.  I will be listening through my iPod Touch 3G, and my iMac.  So unamped.  I am considering the Beyer DT700PRO at 250 or 80 OMH.  Others are the ATH-M50, or some AKG MKII.  Would they Beyers sound good from my iPod (loud too?) for these genres?  I want nice and tight bass with a strong prescence that i can actually feel, sweet mids, and nice trebles.  I listen to a variety of genres, so I would want something to fit all of them.  Please recommend something for me!  Maximum price limit is $250, but I can go up to $300.  Thanks!

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 25
I can also vouch for the M50, as it suits all my needs. I don't know how they compare to the DT700 or MKII's though.

If you do choose to go with the Beyers, though, make sure you get the 80ohm version, since you iPod probably won't be able to drive the 250ohm version.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 25

Quote:
So are the Audio Technica THE best headphones under 300?

The question is are they the best headphone for you?.

Selection is purely subjective, I love my Denon D2K's, their sound fits me to a tee but it may not work for you, ya gotta audition 'em.

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 25
They will be pretty good for the genres you like, I assure you. The thing is you might want to look a little farther than the m50's. I love them and got them for only $120. It's just hard for me to believe the m50's are better than everything under $300, in any way. But I'm no headphone expert.

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 25
I have to pay about $200 for them.  So zzephyr27, what do you recommend?  Also, this thread is not specifically about the M50s.  Recommend ANY good headphone for under $300 or up to $300!  What about then Sennheiser HD 595?  Are they good? Do they leak?  Oh and also, if a portable amp is pretty much necessary for the Beyers, then do you guys know of any that cost UNDER $50 and are SMALL, COMPACT, and will not be too bulky on my iPod?

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 25
Well the price I got them for is a complete steal. I would've bought them for $200 if I had to. You probably have seen tons of people in many threads backing up the m50's and there's a reason. Even a fiio E5 ($20) does a good job of amping the m50's. If you can wait a little though, fiio is coming out with a new amp in March, the E11. It's supposed to be around your price point, maybe a bit over. Very compact and has a nice look, it has a bass boost too. Heres the thread for it, pictures of it on the first page.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527342/e11-a-new-start-of-fiio-s-portable-amp 

Quote:
I have to pay about $200 for them.  So zzephyr27, what do you recommend?  Also, this thread is not specifically about the M50s.  Recommend ANY good headphone for under $300 or up to $300!  What about then Sennheiser HD 595?  Are they good? Do they leak?  Oh and also, if a portable amp is pretty much necessary for the Beyers, then do you guys know of any that cost UNDER $50 and are SMALL, COMPACT, and will not be too bulky on my iPod?

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #14 of 25
I'm pretty sure the general consensus would say even those ones should have an amp.

The m50's are great for the price, and can definitely be had under $200..

I love my Denon AH-D2000's though. They're both great for their prices, in my opinion..meaning the Denon's are a step up. The Denon's are semi-closed and fit loosely but very comfortably. They do leak sound, but I'd imagine still much less than open cans. The M50's clamp a lot for a snug fit, but that's not a bad thing..also very comfortable. The M50's leak like nothing. Honestly, those are the two most obvious differences. While the Denon's are a step up for sure, the M50's may suit you better if you're looking for isolation and portability.

It's really just up to you. They're just different.

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #15 of 25
Well, I went to Long and McQuade today and tested out the AKG K271 MKII, the BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro 250 (they didn't have the 80) and Sennheiser HD 240.  The AKG was accurate, but no oomph.  The BeyerDynamic was freakin' amazing, but it was NOT LOUD AT ALL!  Even on full volume on my iPod, it was barely anything.  Would the 80 ohm help with this?  Also, the Senn was alright, but the low end and mids felt a bit recessed and it was a bit heavy on my head (Physically).  So when they get the ATH-M50 in stock next week, I will try those, but I really hope that the DT770 80 makes a volume difference, because I was definitely impressed with the 250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back