Best Headphones for J-Rock, J-Pop, and Anisong
Apr 15, 2011 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

ZoaKaizer

New Head-Fier
what do you think of the best headphones for japanese musics such as J-Rock, J-Pop and Anime songs (Anisong )

here are some examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VVlADkUYeA&playnext=1&list=PL6D82CA0FFF73F03E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L3ySpFp1S0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBc4zpLFuLI&playnext=1&list=PL675D6949794A0FF9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpLd0WS5EpA&feature=related

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 57
Those links cover a wide range of music.

My advice?  Some Ultrasone HFI-780.  They are great for a range of genres, are nice and clear, handle busy passages well, and have awesome punchy bass.

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 57
^ As one in the same boat with OP, I simply don't think punchy bass is the point.. Vocal, especially female vocal should be the priority. Sweet mids is what desirable, and imo audio-technica is very good at this.
My vote goes to ad1000prm or ad2000.

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 57
thanks for the advice... I do like punchy bass, but for these kind of songs, female vocal may also put the priority...

but you are fre to give your opinions tho.. one reason i started this thread is to hear many opinions and suggestion for this kind of song, which one of my favorite gnere of song...

oh,, i forgot to put one more example. This example shows a song which i think needs a headphone with details and accuracy  while still maximizing the sound of female voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ6gKEGNb1o

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 57
J-pop is one of my favorite genres and my favorite singer is Japanese, so this is very important for  me. It all depends on how much you want to pay.

My personal favorite under $200 for Jpop is the Koss Pro DJ 100. This is even over the SRH-840, which is also good for this genre. If you want a less portable or open alternative, I do like the HD-598, but it's vocals just aren't as good, but close.

Utada Hikaru sounds amazing on the DJ100. Unfortunately they need an amp. The E5 and a larger mp3 player is the bare minimum. The DJ100 is only $80!

ATH-AD2000 and the K601 are also quite good, but the K601 needs a powerful desktop amp.

I think for female vocals, slightly forward mids are nice. The DJ100 mids are very slightly forward. More so when modded.

I also love the KRK KNS-8400. It doesn't need an amp and is around $150 and extremely comfortable. It does need a lot of burn-in though or else it's too bright out of the box.

Apr 15, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 57
Fair enough--I don't listen to the genre.  I just think, from hearing those tracks, you wouldn't want anything where the bass is going to overwhelm the rest of the track.  If that's your main goal, you might want to look a bit into the Phiaton MS400 as well.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 57
Sorry for the bump, but I'm wondering [basically] the same thing as the OP.

Quote:
^ As one in the same boat with OP, I simply don't think punchy bass is the point.. Vocal, especially female vocal should be the priority. Sweet mids is what desirable, and imo audio-technica is very good at this.
My vote goes to ad1000prm or ad2000.

Quote:
thanks for the advice... I do like punchy bass, but for these kind of songs, female vocal may also put the priority...

but you are fre to give your opinions tho.. one reason i started this thread is to hear many opinions and suggestion for this kind of song, which one of my favorite gnere of song...

oh,, i forgot to put one more example. This example shows a song which i think needs a headphone with details and accuracy  while still maximizing the sound of female voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ6gKEGNb1o

I am also looking for a pair of closed headphones that balance the bass and [female] vocals in the <$250 range and are semi-portable (able to fold/lie flat). I've been recommended the SRH440 (or the more refined 840's), ATH-ESW9 (though I've read it's a tad bit too colored), and HFI-580's.

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 57

Quote:
ooo, a kalafina thread. :)

they were pretty amazing at their AnimeExpo concert.

Actually I should add them to my giant list in my previous post in this thread (please check out to see what kinds of music I listen to, it's not enough to just list it). My brother listens to them all the time, so I kind of got used to them and they're all right.

But yeah, back to headphones. Closed, foldable headphones good for vocals and bass...

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #11 of 57

Quote:
Is there any earphones thats good with JPOP? My budget is from 300-400 USD. 

I don't listen to a lot of J-pop, but my SRH940's ($275 USD) seem to do J-rock pretty well for the most part. I think for J-pop, the SRH840's might be a better choice than the 940's.

Do you mind listing some of the artists you listen to? Just out of curiosity.

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #12 of 57

Quote:
I don't listen to a lot of J-pop, but my SRH940's ($275 USD) seem to do J-rock pretty well for the most part. I think for J-pop, the SRH840's might be a better choice than the 940's.

Do you mind listing some of the artists you listen to? Just out of curiosity.

I listen to a lot of female vocalists like ZARD, Ikimonogakari. I also listen to alot of traditional/old Japanese songs also. Sorry but i wanted to know if there are in ear earphones thats good with J-POP since it's more portable which suits me since i can use it while i'm travelling by bus.

Thanks.

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #13 of 57
Sony EX1000, Etymotic HF5, UE TF10Pro, JVC FX700 and SM3 V2 are higely recommended.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #14 of 57
Hi!

I'm also looking for proper headphones for j-rock but I'm more into guitar riffs. I like everything from power metal to classic rock but also modern metal (low drop tunings) and even classical music.

I recently bought the Marshall Major headphones actually because they looked good and Marshall is a brand for guitar amplifiers so I thought..the sound quality should be good enough for me (it's clear I have no knowlegde regarding headphones) but the sound quality was so poor! very muddy. I play guitar myself and I just coudn't stand the way it made guitars sound like. Luckely I was able to sell it. Now I'm looking for better ones but in the same price class so not much more then 100 dollars. A friend of mine has a Shure SRH240, could you guys please tell me if that is any good or could you perhaps recommend me something else?

A song from my favorite band X Japan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN6-F2JOI5k

I would really appreciate any advice!

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #15 of 57

Quote:
Hi!

I'm also looking for proper headphones for j-rock but I'm more into guitar riffs. I like everything from power metal to classic rock but also modern metal (low drop tunings) and even classical music.

I recently bought the Marshall Major headphones actually because they looked good and Marshall is a brand for guitar amplifiers so I thought..the sound quality should be good enough for me (it's clear I have no knowlegde regarding headphones) but the sound quality was so poor! very muddy. I play guitar myself and I just coudn't stand the way it made guitars sound like. Luckely I was able to sell it. Now I'm looking for better ones but in the same price class so not much more then 100 dollars. A friend of mine has a Shure SRH240, could you guys please tell me if that is any good or could you perhaps recommend me something else?

A song from my favorite band X Japan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN6-F2JOI5k

I would really appreciate any advice!

Maybe you could take a look at a Grado SR80i (open-back headphones, so they leak noise), or Shure SRH440 (closed-back headphones, so they isolate outside noise).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back