Best Headphones for Home use under $200.
Mar 7, 2011 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

wiinippongamer

Head-Fier
So this is my first post, I am no audiophile by technical means, but I do demand above average sound quality.

Currently using Creative Tactic 3d sigma (overpriced crap), and I'm regretting the purchase, I'd have returned it since day 1 if it wasn't for the fact that I live in south america and bought the headset off of amazon, so return policy ain't worth s**t. It's not like they're terrible, coming from 25$ sony's, but for $90 I expected alot better than what I'm getting, bass has no definition at all, it's excessively overpowering and muffled colouring the whole spectrum, and making it sound like crap, EQ doesn't help it just reduces the amount somewhat but it still doesn't have any definition to it.

Whatever cans I get I will be running them off of a Xonar Essence STX (near future purchase), which from what I've read has a pretty capable amp built in that should be able to power most headphones in the market properly, Should be able to run the hd595's to their full potential, though higher end ones like the hd600 will still benefit from a dedicated amp.

I listen to electronic music mostly, some hip-hop, metal, but also getting more into acoustic and indie genres, so I don't want it to have some much of a "Thump", I just want them well balanced for all around, I also do lots of gaming and FPS mostly, leaning towards open cans because I want the bigger soundstage and better clarity they're supposed to deliver, even though bass isn't as good, I won't be using them anywhere other than my dorm room, so isolation isn't an issue

Also been looking at the spankin' new hd598's, they seem to have a brighter sound signature than other sennheisers and better soundstage and clarity, but I get a feeling that most of that $100 dollar difference goes to the "european sports sedan" and "glossy wood accents" gimmick, so I dunno, could someone who's listened to them booth shed some light on this?

Also heard lots of good things about the shure's, that they're very neutral, detailed and analitycal sound, not as fun as the sennheisers or as wide soundstage but more neutral, how do they compare to the HD595 and 598's sound quality and comfy wise?

Any other suggestions are welcome, preferably oppen cans but not mandatory, thanks for your time and pacience reading through this. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 20

The SRH-840 is one good headphone, but it's hard to suggest due to them being very large and uncomfortable for some. I liked their sound so much that I managed to deal with the discomfort for awhile. They were once my favorite headphone. I haven't tried the HD-595, but did have a modified HD-555. HD-555/595 is definitely far more comfortable, but just didn't sound as good overall.

$100 difference between the HD-595 and HD-598? I think if you're patient you can find a pair of HD-598 for $170. I think the only reason they're $220-$250 most of the time is that they're quite new. I imagine the HD-595 when new was nearly the same price, but maybe not.

Electronics-Expo often has them for $170, but my suggestion is to call JR.com and ask if they have any sales on the HD-598. Got mine for $175 from them but only when calling. They're worth $250, but it's not a good deal and I'd felt like I had overpaid. It feels even more worth it for those that would use them for gaming because they're one of the best at this price range. I use mine for gaming right now and love it. I still think it's one of the best and most comfortable headphones under $200.

I can't say it's the absolute best for metal and rock, but it's basically good for every genre and is very comfortable. I don't even think the SRH-840 would be great for metal. Finding a pair of headphones that's GREAT for both hip-hop and metal is hard to find, but the both pairs would be good for both. I definitely suggest the HD-598 for $175 if you can find one. The HD-558 might be perfectly fine too.

SRH-840 is pretty terrible for gaming based on my experience. HD-598 is perhaps the best there is overall under $200 for gaming. It seems to get everything right. The HD-598's sound signature actually feels more balanced than the SRH-840. I think the soundstage of the HD-598 is one of the biggest I've heard. Right below that of the AD700. AD700 is also not a bad option. It should be very good for metal, but a very poor match for rap or hip-hop. It's very bass light if it's loose on your head. It does feel a bit awkward when on your head though.
Quote:
So this is my first post, I am no audiophile by technical means, but I do demand above average sound quality.

Currently using Creative Tactic 3d sigma (overpriced crap), and I'm regretting the purchase, I'd have returned it since day 1 if it wasn't for the fact that I live in south america and bought the headset off of amazon, so return policy ain't worth s**t. It's not like they're terrible, coming from 25$ sony's, but for $90 I expected alot better than what I'm getting, bass has no definition at all, it's excessively overpowering and muffled colouring the whole spectrum, and making it sound like crap, EQ doesn't help it just reduces the amount somewhat but it still doesn't have any definition to it.

Whatever cans I get I will be running them off of a Xonar Essence STX (near future purchase), which from what I've read has a pretty capable amp built in that should be able to power most headphones in the market properly, Should be able to run the hd595's to their full potential, though higher end ones like the hd600 will still benefit from a dedicated amp.

I listen to electronic music mostly, some hip-hop, metal, but also getting more into acoustic and indie genres, so I don't want it to have some much of a "Thump", I just want them well balanced for all around, I also do lots of gaming and FPS mostly, leaning towards open cans because I want the bigger soundstage and better clarity they're supposed to deliver, even though bass isn't as good, I won't be using them anywhere other than my dorm room, so isolation isn't an issue

Also been looking at the spankin' new hd598's, they seem to have a brighter sound signature than other sennheisers and better soundstage and clarity, but I get a feeling that most of that $100 dollar difference goes to the "european sports sedan" and "glossy wood accents" gimmick, so I dunno, could someone who's listened to them booth shed some light on this?

Also heard lots of good things about the shure's, that they're very neutral, detailed and analitycal sound, not as fun as the sennheisers or as wide soundstage but more neutral, how do they compare to the HD595 and 598's sound quality and comfy wise?

Any other suggestions are welcome, preferably oppen cans but not mandatory, thanks for your time and pacience reading through this. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 8, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 20
You guys think I'd be better off Getting a FiiO E7/E9 combo?

Been doing my research, seems it's more capable of driving really high-end phones than the stx, even the HD650 and HD800 to it's full potential, but how does the DAC portion of it compare to the STX?, I might aswell use the STX line out and E9 as amp, though I'd have to save up a little longer, but if the E7/E9 DAC is at least just as good I'll just go with it for the same price as STX.

This forum's going hurt my wallet.

Mar 8, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 20
Shure SRH840 is a really good set of headphones. i recently got them for $129.99. those who say they are bad for rock and metal don't know what they are talking about because metal never sounded so good as these do. i'm a metal head so it is important that metal sounds good. they have very impressive mids so the guitars really stand out. but since they are neutral electronic music may not sound so good. but that is do to the fact the bass isn't very heavy on the SRH840s. anyways that is my take.

Mar 8, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 20
If you can get them under $200 get the HD598 or the Fischer FA003.  No questions asked the 840 and 595 are not in the same league IMO.  The 598 has no fancy euro sedan thing going on at all, the wood and leather are all fake.  Its just a price for a newly released product but you can already get them under $200 anyway.

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 20
I have both the 840 and the 595.  They are very different headphones.  The 840 is much warmer with pronounced mids and fairly punchy bass.  The 595 is is what I would describe as more neutral, or perhaps just colder, sometimes to the point of being dull.  I much prefer the 840 for most things but classical and some jazz sound very pleasing with the 595.  One point of convenience is that the 840 cord terminates in a 3.5 mm plug so it can plug into a portable device with no adapter.  The 595 cord terminates with the big plug and the adapter to convert it to a 3.5 mm plug is quite bulky.  The cord on the 595 is also straight and too long for convenient portable use.  The 595 is more comfortable with large velour pads.  I don't experience the comfort problems others have described with the 840 but they are heavy and their design may have been inspired by aviation equipment.  Of the two, the 595 benefits more from an amp though neither of them particularly need one.

If I had to choose between these two, I would pick the 840 without hesitation.  I like the sound signature better and it is far more versatile for my needs.  When I reach for full-size headphones, I tend to most often pickup the 840's or M-50's over my other headphones.  They have somewhat similar sound signatures and both are closed headphones with good isolation, manageable cords and are forgiving of less than perfect recordings.  I would contrast these with my DT990's, which I love more, but which are high maintenance in that they are brutally unforgiving of poor amplification or source material.  If it's one size fits all and ease of use is a factor, I think either the 840's or the M-50's are reasonable and safe choices.  I have not heard the 598 so I can't comment on how they may be different than the 595.  I am waiting for the right opportunity to experience some Utrasones which are also often recommended as alternatives.

Mar 11, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 20
This forum is killing me! I was going to buy a set of 595's but now i'm second guessing everything... seems like people are almost split down the middle on which is better.

Mar 11, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #10 of 20
I first bought the HD595 back in Dec of this year. I had them running for over 50 hours. The sound was good and got better with burn in but it just lacked something and I wasn't totally satisfied with the overall sound quality. I returned it, bought Denon AH-D2000 and never looked back. I got the D2000 for 190 shipped from electronics expo and they're a very decent pair of cans if you can find them for under 200 bucks. D2000 are more energetic, fun, and actually has enough bass to rumble your head. I learned that i like the more "fun" closed headphones instead of open dynamic ones. 

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
No one has mentioned the M50s yet?

M50's are great.  For the $200 bracket they are competitive and do some things better and some things worse.  It would be a matter of preference if you liked them better against that competition.  In the $100 bracket it's not contest IMO, M50 all the way.  If you can get the right Koss DJ100 to sound good then that dominates the $50-$100 bracket and some might prefer it to the M50.  Then you've got the Grado 60/80/MS1 that some think are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 20
I only have about 10 minutes with the 595/598 but I had 2 weeks with the 840. The 595 and 598 have forward mids, while still being balanced overall with no terrible flaws. They are fun for rock and detailed enough. I didn't think they were bass-light, certainly no less so than the 840s. 840s are very well-balanced, but the soundstaging is very poor and the tonality is not realistic. Their strong points are detail and a flatter (though by no means flat) frequency response than other headphones in their price range. If it was my money, I would buy the 598 because it looks better, has a fun mids-centric signature, and more realistic tonality. They are both really comfy. And they should both work well with your Xonar sound card. Neither requires a desktop amplifier, though both will benefit from one.

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #14 of 20
I have both the M50's and 595's, the 595's are better in my opinion. More airy and refined. M50's affer a more punchy sound but they sound closed in.

Another option could be Grado...  I'm loving the punchy/airy sound of the 225is, coloured sounding but great fun.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back