Best headphones for around $50 - $300
Dec 6, 2010 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JayXombie

New Head-Fier
Hello there.

I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD-228's, and they have served me well, especially being modded, and for the fact that I found them in store for $69.99; $30 less. Unfortunately they broke recently (swivel piece), and I'm going to get them repaired (hopefully Sennheiser will be able to fix them). However, I have been curious as to what headphones I'd invest in next if these hit the dirt, or I needed a replacement.

I've been looking at the HD-238's, and heck even the Skullcandy Aviators. I heard the Aviators weren't that bad, but were still not worth the price. I got a 20% off discount for their online store, bring them down to $120. (If my math serves me correctly). Although the Aviators interest me, I'd need to good insight into them first. Also the Astro A30's w/ mix amp, because I'm also a bit of a gamer, and a high quality cross gaming headset would be great. (Also, what exactly does a mix amp do? I'm new to this. And does Astro's new wireless mix amp still prove as good if not better than the old one?).

I would like a headset I could take out and walk around with, as I like to listen to music during walks and what not. I would also use them at home.

Any other suggestions or comments on some of the things I'm looking at would be awesome :].

Thanks in advance. 

P.S. I don't really have a price limit considering I'm just looking at the moment, but nothing too ridiculous in price. I'm even accepting suggestions on cheaper headphones that still match the quality of the more expensive ones. Who doesn't like a good deal on headphones, right? Heck, if they're the right price I might get them sooner than later.

Dec 16, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 13
You might consider Sennheiser HD 448s, which you can get for about $80-$100 and are a good economy hybrid between portables and home headphones.  I don't know where you take a walk, or whether you ride public transportation.  The HD 448 is a closed headphone, which won't disturb others.  They sound very nice for what they are, but if you don't need to isolate sound, then you might want an open headphone.  The HD 558 and HD 598 are several steps up in quality and price.  (They are new, and I have not heard them.  Check headphone.com's site for more information on the 448, 558, and 598.)

There are of course many alternatives.  A lot of people here seem to like the Alessandro Music Series (ranging from $100 to $700) and if you want a lot of bass Ultrasone.

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 13
What are your preferences in sound and to what kinds of music do you listen?

If you're looking for fantastic portables, depending on your preferences, you could check Audio Technica's EW7 and ESW9 models.

That price range in your title is big, so...
If you're willing to spend money on really nice portables, ESW9 is a good option. I have on almost new in the for sale, for trade topic. I'd rather trade them, but if you're really interested, give me a pm.

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
What are your preferences in sound and to what kinds of music do you listen?

If you're looking for fantastic portables, depending on your preferences, you could check Audio Technica's EW7 and ESW9 models.

That price range in your title is big, so...
If you're willing to spend money on really nice portables, ESW9 is a good option. I have on almost new in the for sale, for trade topic. I'd rather trade them, but if you're really interested, give me a pm.

I'm willing to spend closer to the $300 end range. But if there is something similar to quality that is a bit cheaper, I might go for that.

I liked the look of the ESW9, but I can't seem to find the EW7's on headphone.com

As far as preferences go, I listen to lots of varied things, from the softer music, to heavy metal, to rap. So probably I would need a versatile pair of headphones. Also, I would like something that could possibly be used for gaming (say if I bought a detachable mic).

But the gaming feature isn't a must, it'd just be nice.

Could you also recommend a reliable site for cheaper and safe shipping? I'm new to the whole 'buying online' idea.

And I might consider your offer, it's just I have nothing good to trade, hahah.

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
You might consider Sennheiser HD 448s, which you can get for about $80-$100 and are a good economy hybrid between portables and home headphones.  I don't know where you take a walk, or whether you ride public transportation.  The HD 448 is a closed headphone, which won't disturb others.  They sound very nice for what they are, but if you don't need to isolate sound, then you might want an open headphone.  The HD 558 and HD 598 are several steps up in quality and price.  (They are new, and I have not heard them.  Check headphone.com's site for more information on the 448, 558, and 598.)

There are of course many alternatives.  A lot of people here seem to like the Alessandro Music Series (ranging from $100 to $700) and if you want a lot of bass Ultrasone.

I've heard some of Sennheiser HD headphones are very good for gaming too, and that's what I'd like to find; a headphone that is audiophile grade with headset capability. If there is no option for a headset, I'd just end up getting a detachable mic.

I'm going to check out each of those headsets, thanks! 

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 13
I'd suggest the KRK KNS-8400. They're small, have a balanced sound signature, are extremely comfortable and easily driven. They'd even be good for gaming! You can probably demo them at a Guitar Center if you have one in your area. They're about $150 and well worth it. They do need some burn-in.

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #8 of 13
I adore my Beyerdynamic DT770PRO's, got the 250ohm model and they're amazing for gaming and a lot of non-classical music.  The upped highs give a really analytical feel to them, and the bass, while strong, isn't overwhelming and is really tight.  I've owned Sennheiser HD595's before, and I can honestly say I like the Beyers a lot more.  

The even more surprising thing is how well they drive out of my iPod Touch.  No, they're not perfect unamped, the highs aren't nearly as crisp and the bass is a little less strong, but they're still leagues above many portables straight out of a DAP.  This is the 250 ohm version I'm talking about, too.  Really, of you don't mind the size they're worth looking into.

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
I'd suggest the KRK KNS-8400. They're small, have a balanced sound signature, are extremely comfortable and easily driven. They'd even be good for gaming! You can probably demo them at a Guitar Center if you have one in your area. They're about $150 and well worth it. They do need some burn-in.

Can you recommend any kind of mic to go with them, or site / store to buy them from?

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
I adore my Beyerdynamic DT770PRO's, got the 250ohm model and they're amazing for gaming and a lot of non-classical music.  The upped highs give a really analytical feel to them, and the bass, while strong, isn't overwhelming and is really tight.  I've owned Sennheiser HD595's before, and I can honestly say I like the Beyers a lot more.  

The even more surprising thing is how well they drive out of my iPod Touch.  No, they're not perfect unamped, the highs aren't nearly as crisp and the bass is a little less strong, but they're still leagues above many portables straight out of a DAP.  This is the 250 ohm version I'm talking about, too.  Really, of you don't mind the size they're worth looking into.

Yeah, I saw multiple models of this. My only problem is that I'd like my headphones to be versatile, so would the 250 ohm model be versatile enough for use walking around, at home, and with an mp3? (I'm getting the Sandisk Fuze).

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 13
If a stereo headphone has a good enough soundstage it is my opinion that you don't need the mixamp to get surround sound.  I know with my ad700 and my xfi prelude in audio creation mode I have no trouble whatsoever discerning direction and distance using sound. 

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
If a stereo headphone has a good enough soundstage it is my opinion that you don't need the mixamp to get surround sound.  I know with my ad700 and my xfi prelude in audio creation mode I have no trouble whatsoever discerning direction and distance using sound. 

Oh, this could be useful then, the thing is I don't know what it means... hahah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back