Best headphones for $200?
Aug 21, 2012 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

danquoc

Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm looking for headphones around 200-250. I've used the m50'a and low te way they sound, but I HATE how they feel. They end up hurting my ears after 45 minutes and it's unbearable. Now I've tried Bose and te beats line, and as bad as they are I really like the comfort on them. Can you Guys recommend headphones for that price that sound like the m50 but have Bose type comfort. Closed back is a must and cand leak and if the cable is detachable it's better (not a big deal if it's not). I would like fortability, for the size to be smallish. Not interested in the 840's.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 7
Heya,

What kind of sound are you after? Bassy? Neutral? Are you open to using something that may require a little amplification?

There is not a best headphone at your price point; there are merely options that may suit you at this price point. You like the M50, and you want something like it but more comfortable, but you also want detachable cable, foldability (portability). This is pretty much unlikely in the vast array of headphones as a complete picture because most either are comfortable but lack all those portability accessories, or have all those accessories, but are small and not that comfortable, or just don't have the sound you're looking for. It's extremely difficult to get everything you want in one headphone.

That said, one company sort of does all that fairly well for someone who wants something comfortable, portable, foldable, detachable cables, etc. And that is going to be Ultrasone for you. I would suggest you get the Ultrasone PRO 750. The kicker is you'll have to like slightly edgy treble and enjoy plentiful bass, in other words, a slight V shape (which you should be used to, as the M50 has a slight V shape to it's frequency response).

Very best,

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 7
Heya,

What kind of sound are you after? Bassy? Neutral? Are you open to using something that may require a little amplification?

There is not a best headphone at your price point; there are merely options that may suit you at this price point. You like the M50, and you want something like it but more comfortable, but you also want detachable cable, foldability (portability). This is pretty much unlikely in the vast array of headphones as a complete picture because most either are comfortable but lack all those portability accessories, or have all those accessories, but are small and not that comfortable, or just don't have the sound you're looking for. It's extremely difficult to get everything you want in one headphone.

That said, one company sort of does all that fairly well for someone who wants something comfortable, portable, foldable, detachable cables, etc. And that is going to be Ultrasone for you. I would suggest you get the Ultrasone PRO 750. The kicker is you'll have to like slightly edgy treble and enjoy plentiful bass, in other words, a slight V shape (which you should be used to, as the M50 has a slight V shape to it's frequency response).

Very best,

Ok well lets work with having ones that sound like the m50 but are very comfortable. I will listen to it on an iPhone unamped

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 7
I've got to say in this case I'd go toward Sennheisers, but I loved my AKG's after the clamping effect wore off, and I can highly recommend a second-hand pair of K601's for just about the top end of your budget. The plushness of the sennheisers is certainly comfy for long hours of late night lightening. Denon / Audio Technica have such hard cups on their nice 'phones imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back