Best headphone purchase, worst headphone purchase you have made
Dec 7, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #241 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by dopeboyfresh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My best headphone is the Denon D1001. I paid $125 for them. They're good but to me not $125 good.

The Denon D1001 was the 1st set of full size cans I got after joining this forum. I only paid $81, and liked them a lot until I got a JVC HA RX900. I still use the Denons for quieter laid-back music, especially female voclists.

Best headphones: Realistic Optimus Pro 25. I purchased these for $40 in 1988 on the recomendation of a Stereophile magazine review. These are re-branded Koss lightweight portable over-the-ear phones with 40mm titanium drivers and a volume control. The SQ is great. I have yet to find any other phone of this type that even approaches the SQ this one has. I have a NIB spare set I got on Ebay a few years ago for when these fail.

Worst headphones: Counterfeit Sony MDR EX90LP. OK, bad on me for thinking I'd be getting the real thing from China, but these were terrible, the worst bit of hardware passing itself off as a headphone I've seen. I have some dollar store Maxells that sound much better than these.

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #242 of 340
Update on my opinions for this stupid thread. Remember, your own opinion is the most important thing for you. No one else should matter much.

Best: Stax SR-202, Sennheiser HD-595, Sennheiser PX-100, Koss KSC-35

Not quite worst: AKG K701, AKG K501, Grado SR-225

Worst: JVC HA-RX700, AKG K81DJ, Etymotic ER-4P, Sennheiser MX-400

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #243 of 340
Best: Etymotic ER6i
My first step (well, not first really, I just didn't like the SE210s, although I didn't give them enough time) into truly good IEMs. Since I've gotten them 2 weeks ago I've learned to appreciate the sound isolation as well as the sound quality (with Fiio E5).

Worst: Skullcandy Lowriders

Like most naive teenagers I was lured into buying Skullcandy, and I was highly disappointed with these cans, way too bright, in fact... so bright, I can probably attribute them as part of the reason why I have such crappy hearing... Don't buy Skullcandy folks...nuff said

Jan 16, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #244 of 340
Working on a budget here...

Best: JVC HARX700s. I actually HAVE a soundstage now. XD

Worst: Counterfeit Shure E2Cs. They isolate well, but the SQ isn't quite as good as my JVCs or my PortaPros.

Jan 17, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #246 of 340
Best: Denon d2000 - They sound spectacular paired with my 2move and icon mobile. I'm looking foward to getting them recabled in the next few months.

Worst: Denon d1000. It wasn't my worst purchase because I didn't like the headphones, on the contrary, I found them to be pretty nice. It's just that I had zero need for them when I bought them. I had a pair of hd555, es7, superfi. 5 pro, pk3, ksc75 at the time. I didn't have much use for the d1000 and ultimately sold it off for roughly half of what I paid for it.

Jan 17, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #247 of 340
Best: HE90. Excellent condition, good price. good LUCK!

Worst: K701. I had such high hope from all the rave reviews. but it disappointed me like no other. Totally unacceptable pair of cans. Shouldn't be allowed on the market IMO.

Jan 17, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #248 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BEST: AT L3000 - Broke me out of the mindset that there's nothing significantly better than the HD650 in all areas (a mindset created by reading too much head-fi and not trying things for myself).
Runner Up: AKG K340 - Before the L3000, gave me a first taste of how emotional and beautiful headphone listening can be.

WORST: AKG K271s - Found no redeeming sonic qualities to these headphones before I sold them. Sterile and boring to the last note.
Runner up: Grado SR225 - Overpriced for the build and the sound it delivers.

Heh, long-lost update.
BEST:
L3000 - Still my overall favorite headphone and I got 'em way before the price got to current levels, so that's still tops.
Qualia 010 - Got a killer deal on these a while back, love their unique qualities, but no way I'd pay the $3K-$4K+ market prices now.
HD650 - Re-bought this since it's such a great value headphone that's responded extremely well to my source upgrades.

WORST:
Ultrasone Edition 9, once the fun-new-toy shine wore off - and it wore off fairly quick - it would be hard for me to want these again at even 1/4th the list price.
Grado RS1, one of the later buttoned version ones, you gotta be kidding me for $700. What was I thinking?! What is Grado thinking, especially with recent "cosmetic" changes. At least the Ultrasones were beautifully built and had a relatively unoffensive sound. It's sad to compare these to the wonderful HP-1000.

Jan 17, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #249 of 340
Best: e888 also known as the King (or queen compared to e484) of earbuds. It's a shame these were forgotten after Sony outsourced them to Malaysia. The only thing I've kept beginning to end in this hobby. The midrange makes me think of it as a mini R-10.

Worst: KSC-35. Convinced me to never buy clip-ons.

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #250 of 340
Best: Denon D5000
Worst: Ultrasone Proline750

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #252 of 340
Best: This one is hard for me, I really like every thing I have bought. But I would choose the Ety ER-6 as best.

Worst: I bought The little Skullcandies because I need cheap portables a little after I joined here. I had to throw them out shorty after because of their sound.

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #253 of 340
I don't even remember what crap headphones I had when I was younger but I had crap. Recent history though the worst was defo MDR-V500. I bought them because I thought I lost my MDR-V600's which I use for Djing. I thought the v500's would sound similar to the v600. Not even close. Luckily I found the v600's so I never had to use the other ones. Waste of precious $$$ tho.

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #255 of 340
Best - Equation RP-21
Worst - Some Koss that were 32 ohm, it was so long ago I can't recall the model number but the utter disappointment is still lingering after more than ten years. The worst headphones I've owned have been gifts though. Skullcandy, V500, Bose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back