Best headphone purchase, worst headphone purchase you have made
Jan 29, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #256 of 340
The worst I've bought are my Philips cans, which I bought for 60 euros, five or six years ago. Didn't know about Head-Fi back then. Way too expensive for how they sounded. Couldn't wear them for more than an hour, as my ears would hurt by then. Don't remember the exact model number, but it's something along the lines of HPC845. Also, they're all plastic and creak when you move your head. Really annoying. I've stowed them away so nobody'll find them, though, so it's okay.

Best buy before I joined Head-Fi are some old Sony cans. The bottom model of the old CD-series, the CD250. Great cans for their money. Enjoyed them thoroughly. The pads completely disintegrated over time, though. A shame, for the sound quality was still pretty good. Although, I was seventeen at that time, so of course they sounded good.

Best buy since joining Head-Fi are my beloved Audio-Technicas, the ATH-AD900s. Truly excellent cans. They seem to do everything right. (Especially Radiohead.)

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #257 of 340
My worst buy: Audio Technica A500s as they are my least favorite headphone to listen to and they were the most expensive

My best buy: Beyerdynamic DT220. I can't stop listening to them and beat my K271s at quite a few things, and they cost $20.
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #259 of 340
Best: Sony CD1000
- Off of ebay (crap condition though - since been thoroughly fixed up and beyond).

Worst:
Purchasing the HD580 twice. If you buy it and don't like it the first time, there is no reason to own it twice. I did the same thing with the SR-80, but left Grado on amicable terms.

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #260 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best: Sony CD1000
- Off of ebay (crap condition though - since been thoroughly fixed up and beyond).

Worst:
Purchasing the HD580 twice. If you buy it and don't like it the first time, there is no reason to own it twice. I did the same thing with the SR-80, but left Grado on amicable terms.

I wasted my time buying it twice too.

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #261 of 340
So far,
Best: Grado SR-80, but that could change this weekend when I give my AD700's their first listen
atsmile.gif
!

Worst: Bose On Ear Tri-Ports, didn't sound too bad but horrible for the price I paid.

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #262 of 340
Best: HD600

Worst: K701

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #263 of 340
Best: AKG K240 LP Sextett coupled with some MB Quart velour pads

Worst: Ultrasone PROline 2500 (nothing against Ultrasone, I was just not too impressed with the 2500's until I modded them)

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #264 of 340
Best: Stax SR5NB (the version with bass) Gold + Fitz modded amp. Doesn't do seriously deep bass, but I have other headphones for that.
A close second best: Denon D5000s with Markl mods. If I was only allowed one pair of headphones, they cover all the bases, despite their crazy sound.

Worst: Senn PX-200. I wanted a pair of cans for travelling, so figured the slightly more expensive closed versions would sound better. Boy was I wrong. Tinny pieces of utter sht. When I pulled them out of their case after a year of not using them, the insanely thin vinyl covering of the pads tore.
2nd worst: Ultrasone Edition 9. Purely because they don't do anything my Denons don't, except maybe better controlled base and better isolation, but then, that's what a better amp is for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back