Best headphone purchase, worst headphone purchase you have made
Feb 17, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #286 of 340
I know this may sound silly, but I can honestly say that I like them all. I've yet to actually buy a pair of headphones that I haven't liked enough to keep. Of course, if I don't like something when I audition it, I don't buy it to begin with! Since I go to a lot of Head-Fi meets, I don't often have to buy something before hearing it. The HD800 is an exception, but I feel as though I've already "heard" it just based on everything I've read. I'm confident that they will be keepers.

I've taken chances before with the Stax 4070, PS-1, L3000, and so on, and I guess I've always been lucky. I've never intended to be a collector (as such), but it has just worked out that way. I manage to find time to listen to all of the headphones I own, be they the HE90 or the KSC-75. Each has a 'place' and manages to find 'moments' when it seems to be the pair to grab.

The only ones I've ever sold were the Ety ER-4S and Edition 7. The ER-4S were sold to a Head-Fi friend who could put them to better use than I could (for his wife actually) once I had my UE 10-Pro. The Edition 7 were sold probably because I didn't give them enough break in time, and I didn't think that I'd have another chance to sell them at a favorable price again. In both cases, the minute I sold them, I missed them and (to some extent) wished that I hadn't.

That's not to say that I think all of the headphones I own represent equally good values, relative to what I paid for them. Some were outright bargains either because I bought them at the right time (R10, HP-2, K-1000, Qualia 010 and HE90 come to mind) and they have since gone up in value, or they just represent a great bang for the buck in terms of my particular tastes (AD2000, HF-1, HD650).

Others have been a bit disappointing in terms of the value proposition, again based upon my tastes (W5000, PS-1, Edition 9, D5000) but I still like them for what they are in absolute terms and enjoy them every time I listen to them.

I honestly don't think that too many headphones are terribly mispriced in the marketplace, generally speaking. You more or less get what you pay for. If the particular flavor of whatever headphones you buy isn't quite 'right' for you, then just sell them an move on.

For the most part, the 'losses' people incur are not huge unless they constantly buy new and sell used and offer everything that they sell in the used market at substantially discounted prices. A wise buyer who sticks to the used market can actually "buy to try" and pretty much break even most of the time. That's one of the things that I think is pretty cool about Head-Fi.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #287 of 340
I like all my phones, even if the GS-1000 get the most listening time. In terms of best and worst purchase though, I would rate my Sextetts as best, because they are nice phones for the (around) $40 I paid for them.

The worst purchase must've been my headphiled HF-1. I like them a lot, but it wasn't that much of a good deal. Honestly, they are very nice sounding cans... different than the Sextetts but still very nice. More detailled with this fast and forward Grado sound you all know (whereas the Sextetts are smoother and warmer)... but 15 times the price of the K240 is definitely not a good deal.

The GS-1000 were even more expensive but it was a good deal for a headphiled pair with 2m BlackGold recable and a mahogany stand from headphile. The deal was even inside the EU and I got the whole deal for much less than a standard pair of GS-1000 would sell in the EU. Listening to them really is a pleasure.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #288 of 340
I like all my phones.

Best purchases: K81DJ, 770pro, MS1.

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #294 of 340
Best: BeyerDynamic DT150

Worst: Denon AH-D2000

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #297 of 340
Best: Denon D2000's, Grado 325i's.

Worst: SkullCandy Lowrider's. It's kind of funny, as these headphones were such a rip-off and sounded so bad that they made me do research online, thus finding head-fi. I'm glad I did, because I can now look forward to listening to music, and can have fun while doing so!

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #298 of 340
Best: AKG k701

I've never heard air breathing through until I got these. Listening to chick corea's "super trio" right now. Live recording, sounds like heaven.

Etymotic er-4p

Well, not much to say. Classics which I'm happy to have. Hope they live long

WORST:

Sony MDR Q22LP

Sony MDR Q22LP - headphones - Clip-on, Binaural

horrible clip on's sound like ****. Paid 30Euro for them in Germany 5 years ago when I didn't know ****. Horrible sounding

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #299 of 340
all of my purchases (since head-fi) have been good, (I'd like to forget all the pre-HD555 headphones, cheap sony/philipses) however:

the best: es7, for showing me the way to esw10
biggrin.gif

the worst: rs1i for being a payment hell, payment didn't arrive for 1.5 month so I tried again, took one more month to come trough, then had to wait a month for the refund. nasty US-Europe bank transfers. Now everything is sorted out though and it is heavenly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back