gs1000.gif

Worst Headphone Purchased: Skullcandy Skullcrushers
angry_face.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #217 of 340
If I was forced to say only one for each purchase:

Best -> SA5000
Why?
1) Comfort; still unrivaled even compared to my R10 and O2
2) Incredible detail retrieval, speed and it has spacious+airy sound stage allows which allows me to hear where 'everything' is coming from; awesome for gaming usage
biggrin.gif

3) Great with trance/percussion based music

Worst -> K701
1) I didn't have a home setup at the time... so it was under-amped, etc
2) Only had about 50 hours head-time in the few months I had this headphone
3) Never happy with it

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #218 of 340
Best: Sennheiser HD-600

Worst: depodded Altec Lansing iM716. Don't get me wrong, they sound great! I'm just not an IEM person, I guess...
frown.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #219 of 340
Best-Beyerdynamic Dt880.
Everthing about them is absolutely ear meltingly perfect!

Worst-Shure Se530.
Way overpriced,dull muddy lifeless bass and with mids and highs identical to the 310's.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #220 of 340
Best purchase: Philips SHE9800
(The first Philips in this thread? Or just the first 'best' Philips?
wink.gif
)
I really really enjoy the sound of these headphones. I know, they are not that expensive and I don't have at great frame of reference, but they are the best purchase I've made. I like the base an how clear it sounds.

Worst purchase: Nokia something (nothing?) In Ear Olives
They came 'free' with an adapter I bought for a Nokia at one time, which was necessary for connecting an ordinary non-Nokia headset to the phone.
I knew they would be crap, since they came 'free' with the adapter I needed, but I had to try them, and boy was I right. I couldn't even stand using them on the 7 minutes bike ride home from the store. Total listening time: 72 seconds (estimated).

Most ambivalent purchase: Sennheiser HD555.
Most comfortable fullsize headphones I've ever tried, and fantastic sound (all though would have liked them to be a little more 'clear' in the sound - is that the Sennheiser Veil I've read about?).
But I had missed that "Open" also means, that the sound is almost as clear and loud for people standing next to you, as it is to the person wearing them. That made them unusable for my needs.

Great thread btw.

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #221 of 340
Best open: Grado SR60 (I haven't tried higher-up Grados yet)
Best closed: Koss Pro4AAA (it's surprising how good a ~30-year-old pair of headphones can sound)
Worst: Bose Triport. 'Nuff said. Well, maybe not. Where the #@%$ did the midrange go? Not to mention their habit of shattering into pieces...

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #222 of 340
Best Purchase: AD700s. They have great sound and surprisingly have kept up with the abuse I throw at them daily.

Worst Purchase: Sony clip on sports phones. They sounded terrible, goodbye fidelity. The only good thing going was their ability to stay on my ears while jogging.

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #223 of 340
Best - Sennheiser HD650. I think everybody knows why these are liked
smily_headphones1.gif

Worst - Sony MDR-EX90SL. I liked my Sony MDR-EX71SL for any activities that require physical exertion... inexpensive, sound OK (although quite boomy), good isolation. Never should have bought these to replace my EX71s though... the odd shape doesn't work with my ears, and I could never get them to seal quite right
frown.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #224 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best: AKG K240 Sextet

Worst: Audio-Technica ATH-5

A year and a half later, and this still remains true.
beerchug.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #225 of 340
The Best - HD600. Whilst not in technical terms the best that I currently own, they set me on the path to better things and re-ignited my interest in audio equipment.

The Worst - MDR-V500. I bought these after my Philips HP890's bit the dust, considering they cost the same as the Philips, they were utterly horrid in comfort and sound in comparison. I ended up throwing them away! I suppose it was these that made me decide look at better 'phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back