Best headphone purchase, worst headphone purchase you have made
Jul 22, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #196 of 340
BEST: Easily my DT 880's. I think I've found my perfect can. Now I just want to explore some tube amps to see if I can make them sound even sweeter. Before that it would have been my ATH-A700's.

WORST: Phillips HE592 ear-buds. For $20, my GOD these sucked. I mean, I compared them with the stock iAUDIO X5 ear-buds and preferred those. Sold them quickly.

Jul 22, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #197 of 340
Best - Darth Beyer

Worse - E4G, used it for 2 weeks, now gathering dust in the draw
frown.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #198 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS1 - A gift from my wife really. She sold knitted scarfs over the hollidays to fund my addiction
biggrin.gif

Wow. Your wife sounds like a wonderful person!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EX51 - An total turd of a headphone for $40.

I recently heard these for the first time. I only used them with my RH1, and only for a couple hours, at that. Nothing to write home about, certainly. But I didn't find them to be offensively bad, either. Although one can do much better at the price, I don't understand why people on Head-Fi react so negatively to these.

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #199 of 340
Worst - Audio Technica ATH CK-52
Complete lack of Bass.. Music sounded very hollow.

Best - Bijou 3 Crossroads (So Far)
Comfortable and sounded just nice all over. Bass is just right.

Now presently testing out the Ultimate Ears Studio 3.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #201 of 340
Best => Stax SR-007BL
Worst => Koss The Plug

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #202 of 340
Best ever: AKG K1000 for $500bucks
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
and
Koss KSC75 for $5.74 @ RS
worst: ATHsj5 to much bass for me

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #203 of 340
Best: SR007A (although better amp would be nice)
Worst: DT990 (king of sibilance, flabby bass, recessed mid range, definitely the worst cans I've tried)

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #204 of 340
Best: Senn 650s.
Worst: GS1000 (Perhaps I should have given them a lot more burn time.. but, really disappointed. Perhaps because I was expecting too much after the 325i).

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #205 of 340
Best: Edition 9
Worst: Um2 I was underwhelmed by those iems but they are still the best things for portable use that I have, so no choice.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #206 of 340
sony mdr-v150

you cant listen to music on these things. I want my 10 dollars back :p

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #207 of 340
Best: Beyerdynamic DT48. I bought them unheard and with no expectations because I couldn't find any information on them. They continue to impress me.

Worst: Stax Aperio Alpha. Another relative unknown and it deserves to be. I like the iBuds better. I only hang onto them because of their rarity.

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #208 of 340
I've only really bought a few pairs and I'm a noob, but;

Best: Klipsch Custom 1's, great value for £18 and can't wait to hear them amped.

Worst: Sony Fontopia, I thought they were the mutt's nuts at the time, but after trying IEMs and CX500's (fake ones from ebay), I realised they are horrible. they constantly fall out of your ears, the bass is crackly and they cost £18 from argos.

sony-mdred21lp.jpg

^^^what a disgrace!

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #209 of 340
I would like to update my lists since I got a few more headphones, and re-evaluating my current headphones. (The lists are in no particular order.)

Best: Grado SR225; Sennheiser HD 595; Sennheiser HD 600; Shure SE310; Etymotic ER4S. They are truly great sounding to my ears even though they don't all sound the same. (And I agree with Headroom's implication that the HD 595 is what the HD 590 should have been.)

Runners-Up (Honorable Mention): Denon AH-C351K; Koss Porta Pro; Koss KSC 35; Koss KSC 75; Grado SR60; Sennheiser HD 555. Though these headphones are a step or two below my "best" in sound quality, they are excellent values since they sell for significantly less money than the headphones in my "best" list. (And again, like the HD 595 above, I agree with Headroom that the HD 555 is what the HD 570 should have been although I have never owned the HD 570.) My verdict is still undecided at this time for the Audio Technica ATH-ES7 (but my most recent listens have indicated that they will go into the "runner-up" category). And the Sennheiser PX 100 would have also made this list if it weren't for the wire at the plug breaking (it was one of the few headphones that I have ever owned to fail this way).

Worst: Sony MDR-V600 (Urggh... what a piece of cr@p for a hundred! Not worth even twenty bucks, let alone a hundred) and MDR-V700DJ (OUCH! Even more torturous, physically speaking, than a Grato - with merely average sound quality to boot!); Sennheiser HD 590 (though I kinda liked them at first, I just could not get over the shrill highs and incoherent mids); Grado SR325 (non-i; too bright for their own good; downright Grato with the stock bowl pads); Shure E2c (muddy bass and tinny highs due to the dynamic driver and the bent output tube design causing diffraction - dynamic drivers work best with an unobstructed output tube, IMHO).

Dishonorable Mention: Sony MDR-EX71LP (screechy); Sony MDR-V300 (boomy, muddy and flimsy); Koss The Plug (cheap and muddy).

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaspianPH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sony mdr-v150

you cant listen to music on these things. I want my 10 dollars back
tongue.gif

I agree with that quote (based on my brief demo at a Best Buy store different from my local location). They sound exactly like freebie PCDP pack-ins in a larger closed shell. It is not listed in my "worst" list because I have never owned that 'phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back