Best headphone for Barbara Streisand?
Dec 17, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #17 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my SR-225's or K701's for clarity on vocals, don't really know what streissand sounds like (I'm gonna guess somewhere between "awesome" and "horrible" based on the responses on this thread, based on female vocalists that I listen to (like Tina Turner or Madonna), I'd vote for the K701's before the 225's, if she's got a really high voice, I'd pick the 225's)

You have to be joking! If you're not, I'm astounded. Barbara Streisand is one of the most famous Singers / Entertainers in the entire history of the Show Business. She is so much more famous than either Tina Turner or Madonna that I find it challenging to speak comparatively of each of their respective celebrity in the same sentence. When you talk about Streisand you are speaking of someone of legendary status even though she is still living and not that old. When you speak of either Modonna or Tina Turner, while both of these artists are highly respected in their careers, and I would even go so far as to say that Tina Turner is approaching legendary status, neither Turner's stature or Madonna's stature in the industry and in the annals of the Show Business History comes anywhere close to that of Barbara Streisand.
In addition, Barbara Streisand is an immensely talented Singer and Actress. Someone, in a post, described her as having a "chest voice" which is the most inaccurate description of her voice that I've ever read.

This, my friends, is Barbara Streisand:

YouTube - Barbra Streisand - What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life?

Dailymotion - Streisand Barbara - When the sun comes out, a video from Salut-les-copains. streisand, barbara, when, the, out

YouTube - Barbra Streisand - Don't Rain On My Parade (1975)

And that is just a small sample of her immense and legendary talent.

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #20 of 67
Quote:

wow, get bitter about it why don't you

I'm sure I listen to things that are entirely unknown to you, that are popular in certain circles, just like this

I wasn't being bitter. I was stating facts. You seem to be thinking that Streisand is in the same category as these popular whatever "in certain circles". No, Streisand belongs to a totally different stature of performers. Let me put it this way, and maybe this will explain it better. Here is a list of the most famous performers in the entire history of show business based on such things as their longevity, their record sales and attendance at their performances including live performances as well as motion pictures:

The Beatles
Frank Sinatra
Elvis Presley
Bing Crosby
Al Jolson
Barbra Streisand
Judy Garland

Do you understand the difference now. Streisand is part of the upper-most level of the most popular entertainers of all time. The other performers of which you speak are of a much lower caliber of fame and most probably are popular in certain circles, I have no doubt. But the fame of someone like those found in the above list is an entirely different, much more significant in show business history, stature of popularity.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to take anything away from any other performer. It is simply that you can't really even attempt to equalize their respective celebrity statuses to those found in the above list.

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #21 of 67
I find myself agreeing with Peter Pinna.

Im certainly no fan of Barbra Streisand but I know that she is loved and adored by millions of people worldwide, well my mum likes her anyway.
regular_smile .gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #23 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peter,

Let's face it. 90% of the kids in this forum are under 25 y/o. half of them wouldn't even know Menudo if they stepped on them(or in it) The generation gap in music is wider than than we can imagine.

I have no doubt that what you are "saying" is correct. But, then, on the other hand, there is such a thing as knowing history and how it affects the current world of entertainment. Currently popular performers look at performers in the list I wrote in my previous post with great respect and admiration. Most on that list were the innovators and are now considered to be the teachers of the generations of performers who followed in their "footsteps". Al Jolson is a prime example of this. He was the very first "pop" singer. According to show business historians, he was the first performer "to make an event out of singing a song". In his lifetime, his name was legendary and guaranteed the sell of recordings and sheet music in the millions even during a time before the invention of the radio (As a matter of fact, he had the very first million selling record). To this day, in the history of the Show Business, Jolson remains one of the most beloved entertainers of all time.
Streisand is probably the last living entertainer who is part of this "most famous of all time" category.
You young "whipper snappers" may be asking what made these performers so popular in their lifetimes as well as long after their deaths. (Streisand is still living). The answer to this question could be that they were immensely talented at what they did (do), they had (have) a genuine love for performing and the audiences for which they perform(ed), they were blessed with incredible "Charisma" and Presence, and, in different manifestations, they had immensely strong energy (this was especially true of Jolson).

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #24 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whether you like her stylistically or not im sure all can agree the woman can sing

After what I've written, it may surprise some of you to know that Streisand is not my favorite singer. However, I do very much enjoy listening to her sing and watching her perform. As I stated previously, I regard her as being an immensely talented performer. And, even though she isn't my favorite singer, the truth is she is a tremendously popular performer. And that, my friends, is an understatement if ever there was one!

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #25 of 67
ok, so you hate me because I'm younger than you, and you feel entitled, thats great, I've gotten it my whole life, and I'm not turning tail because of it

so you can hate me now (guess this is a bit too new for you, eh?), and I could care less if I'm not "cultured" or "learned" in your eyes, because honestly if you're gonna be ignorant enough to discriminate against someone based on their age (also, don't call me a kid, I'm not), I don't need to waste my time further with the discussion

in short:
another 4 to the ignore list.

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #26 of 67
I remember Streisand when she made the appearances that brought her first break in show business - her casting in the Broadway show "I Can Get It for you Wholesale". It was her being in the show (not Elliot guild [cast as the lead/star] that caused me to buy a ticket. Actually, while watching the show had the opinion that his relatives had financed it to provide a showcase for him. Since then, her performances (and big offensive mouth) have been steadily downhill IMO. Through the ensuing years she has failed to maintain or improve upon from the promise that seemed indicated in those couple of early years. I was a fan back then..........but now would recommend headphones with fried drivers for Streisand listening. You can add Madonna, Bono, Springsteen, all rap, all hiphop and a few others to my "fried drivers list". Don't own anything by these folks. Nada. Not even a single track.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #27 of 67
Im sorry to say but Streisand makes my ears bleed
smily_headphones1.gif
People have different tastes i know.... It also comes down to what you were brought up listening to. I adore alot of old bands/singers and she is definately not one of them.

Maybe the HD600 would be ok for her type of singing..??

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #28 of 67
Quote:

ok, so you hate me because I'm younger than you, and you feel entitled, thats great, I've gotten it my whole life, and I'm not turning tail because of it

so you can hate me now (guess this is a bit too new for you, eh?), and I could care less if I'm not "cultured" or "learned" in your eyes, because honestly if you're gonna be ignorant enough to discriminate against someone based on their age (also, don't call me a kid, I'm not), I don't need to waste my time further with the discussion

in short:
another 4 to the ignore list.

Since I didn't read the thread this way I went back and read it again from the beginning. I still didn't take any comments as a put down. obobskivich, perhaps reading through again after being away for awhile will give this a different meaning? But I agree Peter P could cut some slack re not knowing the particular artists he names. I'm sure many here are scratching their heads wondering who Al Jolson is, among others. No crime in that.

Streisand is one of my wife's favorite artists, but not mine. Have to agree she has a great set of pipes though. As someone else said, she can belt out a tune.

Regarding the OP, in my setup I prefer the K501 or the DT880 when listening to her music. The 880 does a better job of giving her music the punch it needs but the 501 reveals the quality of her voice much better. Depends on my mood as to which is better for the moment.

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #30 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone, in a post, described her as having a "chest voice" which is the most inaccurate description of her voice that I've ever read.

Um, I think you had better research vocal stylings.

I said she sings primarily in chest voice, as opposed to an operatic head voice. She is a belter, which allows her to push beyond her chest voice for emotional emphasis, but does not encroach on a head voice.

Those comments are and still is 100% accurate. Your above comment is absolutely inaccurate. Not to mention interpreted incorrectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back